No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-03-02, 6:14pm
Oooooh Baby!

Default Yay, I found the MeRickal Tool for holding shorties

Hi, I bought one of these a long time ago, and wanted another. Her website is no longer, but was able to contact Ericka Mattsson, the inventor of the tool. She does still sell them. I attached her flyer in case anyone is interest in it. I highly recommend it. There are some that have tried to copy the design, but hers is so much better. I find the short rod is well anchored and won't slip.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf MeRickal tool.pdf (26.0 KB, 1277 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-03-02, 6:31pm

I wonder if you can just get those little replacement rubber thingys. Mine get melted. :0

Old 2010-03-02, 6:45pm
Oooooh Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LampworkLori View Post
I wonder if you can just get those little replacement rubber thingys. Mine get melted. :0
go to Staples, Walmart or any other place that sells stationery supplies. all it is a rubber pencil grip.

here's a sample:
http://www.thewritingpenstore.com/Ri...rip5-pack.aspx

Old 2010-03-03, 9:21am
Peerless Thread Killer

FYI-Arrow Springs has a tool very similar to this -- a stringer holder. I bought one, and I love it. It even holds rods up to 6mm or so.

Old 2010-03-03, 6:30pm
Dangerous Woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleidoglass View Post
go to Staples, Walmart or any other place that sells stationery supplies. all it is a rubber pencil grip.

here's a sample:
http://www.thewritingpenstore.com/Ri...rip5-pack.aspx

I never thought of that! thanks!

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2012-05-10, 9:17am

What are these rubber "thingys" used for? I am always looking for new tips
for my lampworker hubby.

thanks
Old 2012-05-10, 2:37pm

I use locking hemostats to hold my shorts. As I am using the rod and it's gets too short I put it down on my bench with the hot/soft pointing toward the edge. Then I grasp it with the hemostats. Since it's a little soft, the hemos squish it slightly and grasp VERY firmly. That way I can use almost every smidgen of the rod.

If its a short that's cool, I just warm the tippy tip in the flame and then do as I've already described. Works great.

Hope that helps.
Old 2012-05-16, 5:33pm

Great tip on the hemostats. I bought the tool mentioned and it broke off at the weld. It didn't hold the rod well. I had given up on several other short rod tools since. I will try your idea.

Old 2012-05-16, 7:14pm
Angel's Mom

I LOVE MeRikal rod holder!! It's the easiest to use for me!! Thanks!

Life is short. Melt glass!
Old 2012-05-16, 7:37pm
Angel's Mom

The email bounced. Anyone know how to reach her?

Life is short. Melt glass!
Old 2012-05-16, 9:53pm
Glass-aholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5betsy View Post
I use locking hemostats to hold my shorts. As I am using the rod and it's gets too short I put it down on my bench with the hot/soft pointing toward the edge. Then I grasp it with the hemostats. Since it's a little soft, the hemos squish it slightly and grasp VERY firmly. That way I can use almost every smidgen of the rod.

If its a short that's cool, I just warm the tippy tip in the flame and then do as I've already described. Works great.

Hope that helps.
I had this gigantic "duh" moment when you said this... Omg why have I never figured this out.... Why.. Turn the rod around.. Omg duh.. No more shorts for this girl! Ever! With this method I can use the entire rod and not worry about shorts ever. Just have to peel the labels (I use electrical tape, so not the best to burn off-but it's basically reuse able too)
I have hemostats, just never thought of grabbing the soft end with them! alwayth the hard round rod and try to not have it slip away!lol

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:

Last edited by jaci; 2012-05-18 at 6:35pm.
Old 2012-05-16, 11:55pm

Hemostats work great for holding short rods, and they're relatively inexpensive. ok, cheap! I had ruined one pair holding murrini too far in the flame and distorted the tips, so I bent the tips with pliers to make a rounder section to hold rods. It works great, and you can hold the glass right at the tip. Here's a pic:
Old 2012-05-17, 5:03am

Location: 6 month in Ontario and 6 month in either Michigan or Florida

I don't use a holding tool, for my shorts, I will hold the blunt end of the shorthy and another rod either same color or clear and melt both ends until red and join then . Don't keep turning your rods it only takes a few seconds for both ends to be soft enough and touch both ends together, take it out of the flame let it get cool enough and tada you have rescued your shorthy.

Micki