Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

View Poll Results: Do you switch mandrel hands?
No - mandrel stays in same hand at all times 46 10.62%
Yes - switch back and forth depending on activity 358 82.68%
N/A - I dip middle of mandrel so I can use both hands equally 23 5.31%
Other - please elaborate 6 1.39%
Voters: 433. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-12-06, 12:56pm

Literally anything could be in either hand at any time! When you've got the direction of the heat and the direction of gravity more or less fixed, something else has to move and I'm not flexible enough to use just one hand.

Knight Bullet Burner
Tanks
mostly boro technical projects

"I'm sure I'm on a planet but I don't know if it's still earth."
Old 2012-02-04, 1:07am

I've never used a mandrel, but when it comes to puntys and blow poles I constantly switch. It was awkward at first. Being comfortable using either hand makes it easier for me to pull points, latticinos, and use hand held marvers.
Old 2012-02-04, 3:33pm
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

I'm ambidextrous - believe it or not which hand holds the mandrel seems to be driven by which side of my bench the tool I need happens to have landed on. Which speaks to my current lack of organization - I haven't cleaned up my work area in... well, ever. (I've only been doing this a few weeks...and I'm in temporary space, no good tool storage worked out yet.)

Everything I do is hard on the hands - I sit at a keyboard all day at work, then come home and sew and bead - and I really believe that constantly swapping hands has helped me avoid carpal tunnel syndrome and other repetitive motion disorders.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
L-111

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by eregel; 2012-02-04 at 4:15pm.
Old 2012-04-03, 2:23pm

Constantly.
Old 2012-04-05, 3:13am
Ad astra per aspera

I think I answered this before BUT...my mandrels are middle-dipped and I still switch back & forth, depending on what I'm doing. I either swap hands or flip the mandrel...one is as good as the other!

Old 2012-04-05, 3:42pm
Flame On!

I HAVE to switch!!!! I just don't have enough dexterity to spin great in my left hand. So, I hold the mandrel in my left, load glass with my right, heat, switch, spin, switch back, decorate.

Old 2012-04-05, 4:39pm
Practicing perfect

I'm a switcher, start left, go right and then go back and forth depending on whether I'm adding glass (left) or shaping (right).
It was also mentioned to me in one of my first classes to keep your mandrel in one hand, but then at the end of the class the instructor mentioned it was okay to use either hand as long as you continue to rotate the hot glass. It works for me and I'm okay with it.

Old 2012-04-09, 7:31am

I switch hands a lot. Both of my hands seem to cause a slight droop in either direction so I fix it by switching back and forth!