LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-08-16, 10:01pm

Default Way to quickly connect and disconnect propane hose

Hi, I need to torch outside on a small balcony. I have just moved to a new space. I live near the ocean. I use a minor and an Invacare O2 generator.
So my questions are:

Can I leave my torch outside when I not torching or will it (rust) and how bad is that for the torch? I am thinking bad but I guess I am hoping one of you will say nah its a material called blah blah blah that doesnt rust so you are fine

Is there a gadget/covering/case thingy that can allow me to leave the O2 generator outside? I understand i cant allow it to get wet and it is expensive. Like would it work to keep the generator in a tub. Any ideas?

Is there a gadget that I can use to quickly connect and disconnect my torch from the propane and or O2 generator? Currently I have a propane tank connected to a regulator connected to a hose which goes to the torch. From the 02 generator I have the hose going right to the torch.

I dont know what I dont know so I can only ask and hope to learn so please be kind . Dont decimate me please? I am only doing reserch at this time so that I can create a safe and convenient way to make this work. I will read all the recomendations and then create the best healthy and safe space possible for all in my environment.

Thank you in advance for your time, advice and kindness,
sangita
Old 2012-08-16, 10:12pm
I'm meeeeelting

You can use quick connects to attach your torch to your propane and oxy. They will make your torch easily portable so you can take it inside for storage. You may need to add some fittings to your hoses to make it work. I'd suggest taking your torch into your local welding store. They should be able to help you figure out what you need and, if they're anything like the welding stores here, they'll probably hook it all up for you.

Oxygen concentrators don't like a moist environment. I wouldn't leave it outside, but I don't know what your climate is like. Mine's damp.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-08-16, 10:20pm
"Sinners have soul too"

You need a quick connect... it goes between your regulator and the hose on the propane.
The red one shown here... but I don't know if the fittings are the same there as they are here.
https://weldingsupply.securesites.ne...NDEF::::PJ#J08

I would try to bring the torch and the oxy con indoors when not in use if I were you. As well as keeping regulator covered, maybe with some kind of bucket turned over it?

I know some people are going to chime in and say you shouldn't be torching on your balcony... but you didn't ask about that, so I won't say a thing.

Old 2012-08-16, 11:56pm

Thank you ladies! Thank you also for being kind in your response.
I know that Dale is very much against balcony torching and rightfully so and i understand that I am creating a risk and I know that the people who are concerned are only sharing what they think is correct. But I am going to torch on my balcony. Did in the last place and am doing it here. Already got permission for it from the property management.
My fittings came from the States so Im glad you said I should check.
Anyone have any ideas about the tub?
Old 2012-08-17, 12:05am

Maybe a bbq cover for the oxycon? Mine has wheels and I just wheel it inside when the rain starts coming in sideways, the rest of the rime I just chuck a tarp over it. I saw a soft weber cover the other day that looked like it would work. Heres a link http://www.weberbbq.com.au/AccessoryDetails.php?id=27
Old 2012-08-17, 6:56am
Gentleman of Leisure

Yes you can use a quick disconnect on fuel hose/tank for torch line .... I would not leave torch outdoors when not in use if it were mine....The heat from torch dries out any oils or protective coatings off metal and leaves it more exposed to rust and corrosion....

As for propane regulator, you can leave it on tank, or remove it.... IF it is going to live outdoors simply inverting a plastic bucket over it will give some protection from elements...

I would not really like to see oxycon outside because the are designed to be indoor units and do not like the heat and humidity it may encounter outside.... Best thing for oxycon would be to keep in indoors and run long hose to torch, since oxygen does not have same hazard potential as fuel there is no issue there....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2012-08-17, 7:49pm

Something else I'd worry about with outdoor storage is bugs making cocoons in various openings and plugging them up. Seems to happen to things around here.

Knight Bullet Burner
Tanks
mostly boro technical projects

"I'm sure I'm on a planet but I don't know if it's still earth."
Old 2012-08-17, 10:43pm

Thank you Dale, Conrad, fionac, Donna and Felicia. Thank you for being kind in your responses.
Old 2012-10-14, 10:59pm

Just an update...
I got a quick connect for the propane tank. So now the propane tank is attached to the requlator and one part of the quick connect attached to the regulator and that sits outside.
Then i got a long hose as recommended by Dale for the o2 concentrator and I now bring the torch in and out. The whole setup take down thing does take me a long time as I am not allowed to leave the balcony messy but its easier with the quick connect.
The USA vs. Australia fittings were an issue and did require extra expense and a few trips to the welding supply so I wish I would taken your advice artsyuno the first time. The second trip the gentleman at the welding supply said here let me just fix you up.
The secondary benefit is that i now have a welding supply place I feel comfortable with now. Thank you all for your help.