LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2010-03-21, 12:00pm
one day at a time

Default Tutorial on my Jewel Stones beads, an organic type and fun to make!

Here is a tutorial on a set of organic stone-like beads. My "Jewel Stones", and I used to make a LOT of these a long time ago. May have to do these again. They were fun to make at the time!

Not really hard to make, and here's how:

1) Make a base round bead of Effetre dark ivory (about 11-12mm)

2) Roll in a strip of silver leaf (piece is a strip, cut is 1/8th of a 3 3/4" x 3 3/4" sheet of fine silver leaf)

** To cut your leaf to fit (burnish) these 11-12mm beads full all the way around, take a sheet of leaf, cut in half, then cut both of those in half, and then cut each of those in half one last time. This gives you 8 strips. **

3) Burnish the leaf in well, then hit the flame gently to melt this silver into the glass. You will now have a grey stone looking bead. If the silver is still shiny around the holes, don't worry about that at this point.

4) While keeping your bead warm, melt the tip of a rod of transparent aqua (or any transparent color, really) and then apply random dots all over. Don't apply small dots, more like large ones, like the size of the melted tip of the rod. If memory serves me well, I think there are 9 dots on each of these beads, except that focal in the first picture, which has evenly applied large dots, not random applied. Melt these in well, round up your shape, and flash around the holes to melt in any bits of shiny silver.

Done!

If you prefer, you can place evenly spaced dots, or even a stringer pattern if you want. Keep in mind, the dark ivory has a tendency to "swallow" transparent colors. Although not so much when silver leaf is applied first. But the "swallowed" pools of color are what you want, because this looks like jewels embedded in stone. I prefer to place the random dots so there is less stress on me and they are more fun to make that way!

Last edited by Lisi; 2010-03-22 at 10:15am.
Old 2010-03-21, 12:10pm

OMG Lisi those beads are gorgeous! How sweet of you to share your technique. Thanks so much for posting this.
Old 2010-03-21, 12:27pm
Moving On

Gorgeous!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-03-21, 12:41pm

Very pretty. I've made beads like this before but how come my aqua turns green instead of staying blue like yours??? I think I've used Dark Aqua so I'm not sure if there's a difference in reaction between light and dark but everytime they are placed over ivory or sis they turn green in color....

Old 2010-03-21, 12:42pm
I'm a lilac!

Lovely tut! I adore this style of bead.

Old 2010-03-21, 1:19pm
Flaming my life away

Thanks, Lisi. So kind of you to share. The beads are stunning, can't wait to try this.
Old 2010-03-21, 1:27pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reenie View Post
Very pretty. I've made beads like this before but how come my aqua turns green instead of staying blue like yours??? I think I've used Dark Aqua so I'm not sure if there's a difference in reaction between light and dark but everytime they are placed over ivory or sis they turn green in color....
This is the dark aqua Effetre, and I think the silver leaf applied in a layer over the whole bead and melted in gently shields it somehow from too much contact with the dark ivory to change to green. I've made beads like this before and more than likely overheated too much and the green showed up in places.

Here is another set when I use a regular ivory base bead, then swizzles of silvered ivory stringer, and the dark aqua swizzles over that. Here it turns a jade green. More direct contact with ivory so the color change.

Old 2010-03-21, 1:59pm

That makes sense. I like both of those sets. The blue really stands out but that green is awesome! I'll have to play around some more..thanks for answering.

Old 2010-03-21, 5:07pm

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing!
Old 2010-03-21, 6:55pm
She's Back & Burnin'

Lisi: What a sweet thing to share!!! You explain every single step in such great detail that it is foolproof!

Sara

Old 2010-03-21, 11:14pm
Eyes upon the horizon

Thanks for sharing! These are very pretty. I don't have any silver leaf but if I ever get some I will definitely have to try this

Old 2010-03-22, 3:45am
Tassie Devil

Thanks for sharing your interesting technique! I love the awesome green of the aqua on ivory. The tutorial set looks like deep water pools between rocks - gorgeous effect.

Today, right now, is a gift - that's why they call it the present!

Old 2010-03-22, 10:18am
one day at a time

Thank you for the nice feedback!

Oh Lord, I had to go back and edit a bad word....change it from "pric" to "picture". I think I was trying to type "pic". oooops

Old 2010-03-22, 11:24am
working to pay for glass

thank yo u will try that tonight !
Old 2010-03-22, 11:57am
pedal as fast as you can

Thanks Lisi, very kind

Old 2010-03-22, 3:28pm
SierraCatz

Thanks for sharing - those are lovely beads..have you tried with dark amber?

Barbara -
"Women & cats will do as they please, & men & dogs should relax & get used to the idea!" Unknown
Old 2010-03-22, 5:07pm
Never give up

Lovely beads.Thanks for the tutorial, can't wait to try them.
Old 2010-03-22, 5:14pm
KLH Design Studio

Beautiful beads! Thanks for sharing your techniques with us.

One question....do you have to use silver LEAF or will silver FOIL do the same thing?

~
~
~
~
~
Old 2010-03-23, 9:26am

Thanks so much for the tutorial, very sweet of you. I will give these a try today.

Old 2010-03-23, 10:35am
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierracatzlampwork View Post
Thanks for sharing - those are lovely beads..have you tried with dark amber?
Oh yes, dark amber, all of the shades of amber, plus greens, amethyst, cobalt, and even opaque colors. You could even use one of the striking reds. I've used the Effetre striking red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dymond_mom View Post
Beautiful beads! Thanks for sharing your techniques with us.

One question....do you have to use silver LEAF or will silver FOIL do the same thing?
I use leaf but I'm sure it could be done with foil. Maybe since that would be a heavier layer of silver, it would be better to use foil on a larger bead, like a 15-16mm size due to compatability. I've read somewhere on these forums several times that too much silver can cause cracking.

You would have to cut the foil to a different size to ensure a full wrap-around of the silver. Make a bead in the larger size and leave it the mandrel for a reference to check the size of your strip of foil for coverage.

Another idea - If you made a large tab bead, you could use a strip of foil in places on this bead, and put your "jewels" in the silvered area.

Last edited by Lisi; 2010-03-23 at 9:45pm.
Old 2010-03-23, 11:47am

Thanks for the tutorial Lisi, I haven't made this type bead in a long time but I do remember they were fun to do. I may add this to my to do list today. Thanks!

"People can be the wind beneath your wings or the anchor on your boat" John Maxwell
Old 2010-03-23, 6:47pm

Great Tutorial Lisi! Thank you for sharing and your beads are beautiful!

My Facebook
Old 2010-03-23, 7:40pm
Uh-oh means it's too late

Great Tutorial!!! I am def going to give it a try asap!!! imagine how it will look with some of the new colors that have come out since you started this!!!

Old 2010-03-23, 8:38pm
Lovin' that glass...

Thank you for what looks like a fun bead. I'll give it a try tomorrow. How very nice of you to share with us - FOR FREE!! Free is definitely good!
Old 2010-03-24, 12:23am

Great technique. Thank you.

R#115
Old 2010-03-24, 2:54pm

Beautiful beads, and the tutorial is a beautiful gift to us. Thank-you so much!

Birdy
Old 2010-03-24, 6:54pm

Thanks for the tut - makes me want to try it tomorrow!
Old 2010-03-24, 7:13pm
She's Back & Burnin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisi View Post

Oh Lord, I had to go back and edit a bad word....change it from "pric" to "picture". I think I was trying to type "pic". oooops

buwawawa!!!!

Sara

Old 2010-03-25, 7:55am

You all are going to laugh at me but I was so relieved to see that the silver was supposed to turn this color lol. I though I was doing something wrong. I actually tried this on my own the other day just playing around ( I am still pretty new at this) and thought I was doing something horribly wrong to have the silver turn this way lol. Thank you for setting my mind at ease! And of course yours are much prettier than my first attempt. I did do one over a base of black that turned out pretty neat but will try the ivory the next time around. I am really drawn to the organic beads.

Old 2010-03-25, 8:49am
Cake for me too please

Thanks for sharing. I will have to give this a try tonight!