Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Old 2012-06-18, 6:56pm
Chief Creative Goddess

Default Torch and Oxy

1. So what Torch do you have?
2. What are you using with it?
3. What is the altitude where you live?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Sadie Mae; 2012-06-18 at 6:57pm. Reason: altitude
Old 2012-06-18, 6:58pm
Chief Creative Goddess

I have a Minor and 10lpm oxycon. I am at 4500 altitude. I need more firepower....

Old 2012-06-18, 7:02pm

I have a Mega Minor, a 5lpm oxycon, and I need more oxygen!

Altitude is about 1150.

Barbara

Barbara

Last edited by 28676bhe; 2012-06-19 at 12:28pm.
Old 2012-06-18, 7:40pm
Irish Eyes A Smiling

I'm on a Bravo with 2 Integra/Regalia

Old 2012-06-18, 8:10pm
Queen Tut ;)

Does altitude affect torches? My brain says logically it affects oxygen/pressure or something?

Anywho, GTT Lynx on an M20, and a GTT Bobcat on an M10, altitude 900 ft from what I could find through google lol

I went from a Minor to my Lynx...considering a switch (thread in torch room).

Old 2012-06-18, 8:37pm

I run a lynx and a mirage on tanked oxygen. Love them.
Old 2012-06-18, 8:47pm
Glass-aholic

Minor, propane, 5lpm oxy con and HH w propylene, propane, mapp... Whatever is on hand . I'm in Lebanon ct 06249 if you want to find out my altitude. I think I'm pretty close to sea level. Maybe 700-1000 feet up off the ocean generally, tops. There are some big hills lol.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2012-06-18, 8:58pm
Happy Inner Dragon

Tomorrow, I'll be able to say that I've got a MiniCC and an 8LPM oxycon - set up, that is Just waiting on FBA and fuel regulator, due tomorrow so I can spark this baby up.
And I'm about as sea level as you can get, so altitude is hardly a description of my position

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107
Old 2012-06-18, 11:46pm
Chief Creative Goddess

Jenne--I happened to see your post about your torches--I'm still jealous you have a Lynx and a Bobcat!
And Di--I just am flat out green--you are in Australia! Honeymooned in NZ and wanted to get across, but....! Enjoy your new toy!!!

The reason I started this post is to see how many folks are out there in my parameters so I can figure out if it's just me, the altitude, me, the torch, or really just me!

I watch videos and their glass melts so fast amd smooth! Plus I want to play with boro....my boro melt times are hideous, and I can't make diddly!
Chatted with Pipyr about her low temp boro tut--may just have to make that a birthday treat to myself next week....!

Old 2012-06-18, 11:52pm
Happy Inner Dragon

I'm green that you were in NZ - I come from there, but rarely get back to see rellies

Would be interesting to see a bit of a cross section of lampworkers and elevations, and what's effective and not, too. Great topic!

SRA# P107
Old 2012-06-18, 11:56pm
Chief Creative Goddess

well let's just set a date and meet in Auckland! Beautiful city! Only did the North Island--Coromandel coast (swoon!) We got married in Vanuatu--what an adventure! One hell of a stinkin long flight though!
I belong to the Reno Gem & Mineral Society and our sister club is in Wanganui! Hope to meet a lampworker from there one of these days!

Old 2012-06-18, 11:58pm
Chief Creative Goddess

Holy smokes! Di--you made the Three Faces of Steve!! Hysterical!! I just made the connection!

Old 2012-06-18, 11:58pm
Happy Inner Dragon

Check out facebook - I think there is at least one in the 'Nui

SRA# P107
Old 2012-06-19, 12:07am
Chief Creative Goddess

The DH is telling me I have to come to bed now (it's after midnight here) How do I find them on FB? Talk to ya later!

Old 2012-06-19, 12:13am
Happy Inner Dragon

Yep, Seemed just the right name for them

SRA# P107
Old 2012-06-19, 3:03am
Now part of the Dark Side

I'm using a Bravo and Tanks at about 500 ft. My guess is that the altitude may have and affect if you are on oxy con.
Old 2012-06-19, 7:52am

mega minor on ex15 and propane, 685ft asl.
will be getting a second oxycon and a midrange w/premix topfire soon though, more options with that torch.
Old 2012-06-19, 8:07am

Phantom and Mirage on tanks at 1000 ft. Altitude won't affect performance on tanks but is a problem with oxycons if they aren't set up for higher altitudes. Performance for different brands varies, some top out at 7000ft and others got up to a little over 13,000. If you are over 7000 ft you might want to check with the manufacturer to be sure you've got optimum performance.

Robert
Old 2012-06-19, 8:21am
Dances With Fire

boro will be TEDIOUS on a minor try tanked for a little more umph. in the smaller torches the betta burns hot and it is great for a newbie because it is crazy hard to burn glass on!

crystal

Wouldn't it be nice if, whenever we messed up our life, we could simply press " Ctrl Alt Delete" and start all over?

Old 2012-06-19, 10:44am

Nortel Minor and a 10lpm oxy con I am at 4200, roughly. So far, so good.
Old 2012-06-20, 9:12am
Curmudgeon Engineering

Altitude - 435 ft above sea level

Oxygen - bank of four 'K' tanks on valved manifold and two 5 lpm oxycons w/holding tank

Torches - homemade Japanese style verticle, Mini CC, National 8M, GTT Mirage, GTT Kabuki, Herbert-Arnold 55mm, Baracuda, and Tiger Shark. Oh and a Smith mini torch. Over in the shop; three or four welding style torches.
Old 2012-06-20, 12:38pm
Wonder-wench

Phantom, inner fire (lynx) on 2 M-15 oxycons, outer fire on tanked, close the sea level.

Old 2012-06-20, 3:13pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheng076 View Post

Oxygen - bank of four 'K' tanks on valved manifold and two 5 lpm oxycons w/holding tank

Torches - homemade Japanese style verticle, Mini CC, National 8M, GTT Mirage, GTT Kabuki, Herbert-Arnold 55mm, Baracuda, and Tiger Shark. Oh and a Smith mini torch. Over in the shop; three or four welding style torches.
hot damn, now that's some fire power!!
Old 2012-06-20, 4:18pm
Now part of the Dark Side

I'll bet the Kabuki and the HA can drain those 4 tanks in about 8 hours.
Old 2012-06-20, 5:52pm
Glass Hive Kiln Tech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheng076 View Post

Sounds to me like you have a torch problem You really are a collector, and I like your variety.

Sea Level, Knight Bullet, Tanked is the only way for me.

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau
Old 2012-06-20, 7:14pm
Dakine glass man

Sea level Gtt Kobuki, mirage, 2 phantoms, lynx, Carlisle cc , nortel ssq, two nortel minors, two smith little, a herbie hand torch,and 6 national 3a .... Think that's it( not all the torches are mine just most of them and we only run 3 at a time but that will be changing soon)

We have a LOX tank and a bank of 10 cylinders. The cylinders I fill with two home fills powered by two 5lpm concentrators. If I could suggest to anybody that feels lacking on oxy pressure to get a homefill and use your concentrator to charge cylinders.

Lampwork by John Lindquist
Old 2012-06-23, 8:50am
Curmudgeon Engineering

When I found I was serious about doing glass and before the economy tanked I was able to indulge a very serious addiction to tool collection. Problem is that all my life I have regretted any decision to get rid of any tool, gun, or book so I don't any more.

I loves my toys....Yeah!
Old 2012-06-26, 5:50pm

Cricket, bbq tank propane, 8lpm oxycon, 27m above sea level
Old 2012-07-01, 4:58pm
Chief Creative Goddess

tHANKS TO ALL WHO HAVE REPLIED. i ADJUSTED MY PROPANE PRESSURE AND THAT SEEMS TO HAVE HELPED A BIT, BUT i THINK i JUST WANT MORE POWER!

Old 2012-07-01, 4:58pm
Chief Creative Goddess

Crap-just saw I had the caps lock on--sorry!