Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2011-02-08, 8:46am

Default Most standard Camra settings..for Dummies

I have a couple of camra's I would like to try to get going for bead pix one older(Sony Digital Mavica) and a very new Panasonic Lumix 8X 14 mega pixel. I made my light box have lights a tripod and am looking for the most standard settings on camra's for the best bead shots. I have been making beads for YEARS (since 97') and have NEVER mastered even half way decent pictures! So I am in dire straits! ANY advice is good advice!] (*,)
Old 2011-02-08, 5:24pm

That's a real hard question to answer. Kind of like asking what kind of glass should I use and what setting should I have my torch on to make the best beads.

What makes the question hard is there are so many variables that affect the outcome of any pictures. Besides the human factor (which is always a factor no matter how much we know or don't know) so much depends on lighting and exposure and even the glass you are photographing. The camera really doesn't matter that much since someone that understands everything else could use a pin hole camera and get a decent picture. Maybe not National Geographic quality, but still decent.

The simple answer to your question would be to put the camera on manual, set the fstop for f11, put the camera on a tripod, get it as close as you can so that the bead is in focus and the view finder or LCD is filled with the bead. Then set the shutter speed so that it works with the fstop and lighting to give you a properly exposed image. Since the shutter speed could be in the seconds, that's why you need the tripod.

Of course this doesn't take into consideration placement of the lights so your beads are evenly lit but you don't have a bunch of white highlights reflecting back your lights and hiding the detail in your beads. Nor a dozen other things. What would make it easier is if we knew what you knew already. It might be easier to people to suggest how to improve what you are getting rather than give you the magic settings for perfect shots. Most photographers guard their magic settings since they are so hard to get, so maybe you can show some examples of what you are getting now?

Of the two cameras you have, does either one let you do manual settings? If so, that is the one that will probably give you the best results for images that you can show on the web.

Mike
Old 2011-02-08, 7:56pm

Thanks so much! I am taking pictures now and will look at the tut on how to post them here. I will appreciate all your advice when I have something you can advise me on! hehe