LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-03-17, 4:07pm
Intermembrane Time Travel

Question Modifying output pressure of oxycon.

I have an M20, been using it for about 2 or 3 months now and works fairly well on my torch for smaller to medium range stuff. It is rated to output 20psi however. I run a lynx and I want to dial back my oxy pressure to 15 - 18psi max if possible. Can a person use a regulator on this oxycon or will this possibly damage it with back pressure? Would there be an effective way to bleed the excess pressure while still dialing it back if regulation would damage it. Could this be modified on the unit itself without some form of void warranty? Jack?? ;D

Any advice on how to go about this would be handy. I intend to get a holding tank setup soon, so the same question would apply to this. If I was putting 20psi into the holding tank, could I regulate the line from the tank to torch at 15 - 18psi? Beware folks more questions soon to come on oxy bottles and oxy cons feeding a holding tank together in another thread perhaps. *50's horror movie music*
Old 2012-03-17, 5:41pm

If you search for my threads, several talk about my bravo with 2 or 3 m15's and a holding tank. They will probably be helpful to you...

In addition, I can tell you that I talked with jack about the back pressure issue and he assured my that it is a myth that it will hurt the oxycons. What he said would happen, and what does happen in my experience is that as the tank builds pressure the outflow drops and thus you end up even better off as you have plenty of pressure built up for reserve, plus higher purity because when the output drops the purity increases. It's just like turning down the knob on the front.

Off hand I can't see a reason to want to drop the oxy pressure since you are controlling it at the torch anyway, and you are talking about a very small change. But if you do want to, I see no reason why you can't put a regulator between the holding tank and the torch.

Erik
Old 2012-03-17, 7:11pm

I run the lynx centerfire on my mirage at 25 psi. Why would you want to limit it below 20 psi?
Old 2012-03-17, 7:59pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signguy View Post
If you search for my threads, several talk about my bravo with 2 or 3 m15's and a holding tank. They will probably be helpful to you...

In addition, I can tell you that I talked with jack about the back pressure issue and he assured my that it is a myth that it will hurt the oxycons. What he said would happen, and what does happen in my experience is that as the tank builds pressure the outflow drops and thus you end up even better off as you have plenty of pressure built up for reserve, plus higher purity because when the output drops the purity increases. It's just like turning down the knob on the front.

Off hand I can't see a reason to want to drop the oxy pressure since you are controlling it at the torch anyway, and you are talking about a very small change. But if you do want to, I see no reason why you can't put a regulator between the holding tank and the torch.

Erik
I don't think you can change the pressure (psi) with the torch, only the flow (lpm).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2012-03-17, 9:01pm

I have the same question, Why would you want to dial back the psi on your oxy? I wish I could increase it so my M20 runs on my Cheetah with no problem.

First thing I was told when I bought my M20 a few months back was not to generate back pressure ´cause the oxycon has a really loud alarm that gets activated when it detects back pressure; I was also told to keep both oxy valves craked open. I would not suggest you to use a regulator for the same reason.

I recently build up a holding tank and found no difference between connecting my oxycon to it than connecting the oxy directly to the torch. Maybe I did not do something correct! =/

Squid is correct, PSI cannot be controlled from the torch, only the flow.
Old 2012-04-03, 1:48pm

I guess I was just looking at the recommended settings that came with the torch, and I wanted to simply keep it set at the maximum of this listing with appropriate propane ratio of say 6. I imagine the issue my torch is encountering when I want to go bigger is a flow issue not psi issus so much. At the m20's 20psi, I cannot open up both oxygen valves to half at the same time and expect the right flame, and beyond that the flame doesn't move at all. What happens is the lpm reaches its maximum allowed setting and then thats all she wrote, the pressure I think may drop in this regard etc.

I felt if there was a way to fix the psi to 18 and then when opening up my torch the extra oxy in the holding tank pressured at 20 psi from the incoming oxycon would allow for possibly a slightly longer boost do to flow reasons. It is really early for me atm, and I am prob not half right.... so if you caaaaan understand what i am trying to do or come close bear with me eh ?

If for any other reason beyond potential holding tank exploits, the main reason would be that I don't want to go past the torch recommendations until I get a handle on this thing. I end up boiling crayolas way too often too easy, and other various issues with the heat coming from it. It might just mean learn to work the torch better and I agree, but I do dislike mucking up colors that my ole national 8m with rider never hurt. I figure dial back the pressure, and increase the available flow are the things im after. But point is moot atm cause after 75 hours of normal use within recommended perimeters my poor m20 has gone capute.... trying to talk to jack now.

Last edited by caogomi; 2012-04-03 at 1:50pm.
Old 2012-04-03, 2:52pm

Red face also

If I can get my oxycon up and running correctly again without much difficulty I want to actually see if I might be able to find a homefill system and a whip to fill my tank up 1/2 to 2/3rd (so as to not push the machines fer longer life) and not deal with anything other than setting the regs to whatever pressure i come to find suites me best. I could always geta 2nd tank and hook them together with a manifold or something, make 2 2/3rd filled tanks. which wouldn' be to shabby to work from for a day/night or what have you and have em filled up by the next work day.

(You mad workers and yer 12 hours on 12 hours off might not work so well in that regard I dunno, but one could prob easily maintain a 40 hour a week thing this way though I am unsure as to the cost of running the units and then when they break down buying new ones compared to a steady investment into a liquid tank if one actually could fine the time to work enough so it doesn't vent, and afford the expenses of working 40+ on glass alone. Anyways, that sounds pretty nice to me, and I hope I can get back there some day.
Old 2012-04-04, 12:00am
one day at a time

I have a holding tank for my oxygen generator, but that's to regulate the flow and prevent "breathing".