LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2006-12-27, 2:26pm

Default New tutorials online!

Okay it's been forever since I've posted a new tutorial (not really forever, just several months...). At any rate we have some more server space, so I've posted 2 new tutorials, both on making wire wrap rings that you can incorporate either your own bead or a purchased cabachon stone into. Also some of our older tutorials are back online! The silver core tutorial, hollow bead, and our button tutorial are back as well. Stop on by our online video library and enjoy! http://www.dawnandevan.com/tutorials.htm

Note: As these are videos they will require you to have a high speed internet connection!

email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

web:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-12-27, 2:43pm
Beadmaking.nl

Great, thank you so much for making those!
Old 2006-12-27, 2:46pm
TAJ

thank you , I have been wanting to learn how to make a wire ring.
taj
Old 2006-12-27, 3:26pm

looks good to me..
now to get the time and tools to try it.. I would like to learn to work with wire an this looks like a good starting point.

Facebook

Blogger
Old 2006-12-27, 5:56pm
Give to receive...simple.

Wonderful Evans!! Much appreciated!

Cheers!!

Old 2006-12-27, 6:06pm
Glass Wrangler

Another Great Tutorial! Nicely done, as always! Say Hi to Dawn.

Old 2006-12-27, 6:48pm

Hey Char! Good to see you online! I'll tell Dawn you said Hi! Thanks for the nice words on the tutorial!

Ev

email:

web:
Old 2006-12-27, 9:36pm

Thanks !!!
Old 2006-12-27, 11:56pm
da General

I missed it when you had the silver core tutorial online - thank you for putting it back up!!! I need to check out all the other ones too.

Hayley

|
|
|
|
Old 2006-12-28, 5:34pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
I missed it when you had the silver core tutorial online - thank you for putting it back up!!! I need to check out all the other ones too.

Hayley
Your welcome! Let me know how you like them!

Evan

email:

web:
Old 2006-12-28, 5:48pm
Dangerous Woman

I couldn't find them. Am I doing something wrong?

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2006-12-28, 8:23pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by playswithfire104 View Post
I couldn't find them. Am I doing something wrong?
Nancy - If you don't have the flash player loaded in your browser, all you will see is a big white area. Make sure you download and install the latest flash player, then close all browser windows and try again. It should work after that.

Ev

email:

web:
Old 2006-12-28, 9:40pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Glass_Bash View Post
looks good to me..
now to get the time and tools to try it.. I would like to learn to work with wire an this looks like a good starting point.

Arlene, you would get more done if you weren't always in the "chat room"!!!

Old 2006-12-28, 11:44pm

bwahahah... I wish that I was in the chatroom more often of late.. Target's keeping me way to busy... I am almost gratefull for Christmas being over..

5 days till my next play day!! I think this would be a good tutorial to make some beads for

Facebook

Blogger
Old 2006-12-30, 5:56pm
Lovin' every minute of it

thank you Evan and your film crew, too! You're a great teacher and I've learned a lot from those tutorials!

Very, very generous and well done.

Happy New Year!

dana
Old 2006-12-31, 11:54am
Colors outside the lines

Wow, thanks for sharing your tutorials! I don't pick new things up well from written directions alone. I need to see something being done before it clicks, so I really appreciate your generosity in sharing these tutorials!

Leah
Old 2006-12-31, 3:42pm

Dana & Leah -

You're most welcome! Glad you enjoyed them. Stop by next month and hopefully I'll have a new one posted by then!

Happy new year all!

email:

web:
Old 2007-01-01, 10:27am
Tai Chi Bead Man

Default Thanks

Evan
Thakns for the Tutorial very well done. I also like your dot perfect tool really sweet. I will have to order me one of those as soon as I can get up the cash.
peace
Jay
Old 2007-01-03, 9:56am

Quote:
Originally Posted by litejugler View Post
Evan
Thakns for the Tutorial very well done. I also like your dot perfect tool really sweet. I will have to order me one of those as soon as I can get up the cash.
peace
Jay
Jay -

Thanks much! Stop back on by, I'm planning some additional tutorials soon (Right now tentatively planned for end of January or early February.) I'm also planning on leaving these up as a semi permananent archive / library for now.

Feel free to drop a question should one of the tutorials provoke one!

Evan

email:

web:
Old 2007-01-03, 10:11am
Stress Cracked

Evan - thanks for putting those back online for free. I spent all afternoon watching them.

I have a question about polishing the sliver core beads. I have made several of my own and find that polishing is more challenging than I thought. I have a Dremmel tool with polishing tips but the tips I have are just a smidge too big to fit in the 1/2 inch dia tube easily. I noticed in your tutorial that you are using a tip that is longer and thinner and seems to work nicely. Do you happen to know the part number for that tip?

Thanks- Jim
In an Emergency.

Emily Dickinson
Old 2007-01-03, 10:48pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjvg View Post
Evan - thanks for putting those back online for free. I spent all afternoon watching them.

I have a question about polishing the sliver core beads. I have made several of my own and find that polishing is more challenging than I thought. I have a Dremmel tool with polishing tips but the tips I have are just a smidge too big to fit in the 1/2 inch dia tube easily. I noticed in your tutorial that you are using a tip that is longer and thinner and seems to work nicely. Do you happen to know the part number for that tip?

Thanks- Jim
Jim -

I use a number of different rubberized or silicone polishing tips with my flexshaft tool that would be compatible with your dremel tool. I get most of mine from Rio Grande Jewlery supply. One set of ruberized abrasives with several different grades and sizes is part #332-795. Also check out their line of silicone polishing tips which will give you an even finer polish.

Hope that helps!

email:

web:
Old 2007-01-04, 8:27am
Stress Cracked

Thanks Evan!

- Jim

/Edit/ - Evan - I need some help with the basics. The tips you mentioned (part#332-795) do not require applying polishing compound to them - is that correct? Same for the Silicone tips too? Felt tips are used with polishing compound, right?
In an Emergency.

Emily Dickinson

Last edited by lbjvg; 2007-01-04 at 4:46pm. Reason: parsimony
Old 2007-01-08, 6:09pm

Thumbs up

Thanks for the tutorials Evan. I can't wait to try the hollow bead. Could you tell me what kind of mandrel to use for them? I'm a newbie and i'm still learning. Thanks.
Old 2007-01-09, 6:09pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie Ann View Post
Thanks for the tutorials Evan. I can't wait to try the hollow bead. Could you tell me what kind of mandrel to use for them? I'm a newbie and i'm still learning. Thanks.
Debbie Ann -

Hi - Your welcome for the tutorials! The mandrel I am using in the video example is one of my hollow bead mandrels. You can make a hollow bead on a conventional mandrel with exactly the same technique, you can just make them much bigger on one of these. These are basically a stainless steel tube that has been welded closed on one end and a small hole drilled into their side. You form your bead around the hole and then once it is sealed you blow into the end of the tube inflating the bead. Takes a little practice but, it's a 'whole' lot of fun (pun intended ) These mandrels are available on our website in the tool gallery.

Hope that helps!

email:

web:
Old 2007-01-09, 6:11pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjvg View Post
Thanks Evan!

- Jim

/Edit/ - Evan - I need some help with the basics. The tips you mentioned (part#332-795) do not require applying polishing compound to them - is that correct? Same for the Silicone tips too? Felt tips are used with polishing compound, right?
Jim -

That's correct you don't need to apply anything to these. The abrasive is built right into the tips. The silicone ones give a finer polish, almost a mirror finish.

Ev

email:

web: