Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-10-02, 8:22pm

Question I want to lampwork on wire

I am wondering what wire would be the best for lampworking small appendages on. So far I am using copper, but I have not annealled the pieces yet and wonder if they will crack. Anyone with any experience with this? I am looking for some flexibility in the finished piece, so the wire needs to have some strength, but also be bendable. Thamks, Ollie
Old 2007-10-03, 8:40am

I was playing with ordinary dressmaker straight pins which are stainless steel. It doesn't bend much if at all but if you want straight tiny sticky outties, you could experiment with those. Nip the head of the pin off first (or not maybe). Go to the quilting department, they have nice long pins. I wouldn't advise trying to bend them after they are on the bead though.
Old 2007-10-03, 9:12am

I used to make small beads all of the time on copper wire. I made a whole set of small holly berries and holly leaves. I never had any problem with cracking. I would cut a length of wire, make the leaf or berry or whatever on the end and pop it into the kiln. With the length that was left, I would loop it to hang, and make clusters. With the clusters, I would hang them on a chain. They look like the old fashioned glass flower necklaces. I never had a problem with cracking.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-10-03, 11:04pm
<---RamboPatootieSuperbun

That sounds really cool! I just ordered some 20 ga. copper wire- would this work? Don't you burn your fingers?

Kelly

Old 2007-10-03, 11:10pm
Noobie

Does anyone have any pictures? Im having a hard time picturing this
Old 2007-10-04, 12:37am
just plain silly

Sounds cool Cynthia..... do you have any pics?

Suzanne
Old 2007-10-04, 1:59am

we often us stainless steel too
Old 2007-10-04, 3:01am
I'll get there!

Could you do it on silver wire? I thought it would make a nice change to use instead of headpins in jewellery.
Old 2007-10-04, 5:12am

Silver has a lower melting point so it would be much harder to get the glass on the end of the sterling wire. But I have seen glass ends on headpins, so I guess it could be done. It is still not so easy a process.

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2007-10-04, 8:19am

If I remember correctly, I used to put the wire in a small vise because copper will get hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasshouse View Post
That sounds really cool! I just ordered some 20 ga. copper wire- would this work? Don't you burn your fingers?

Kelly

Old 2007-10-04, 8:21am

Just after completing the necklace, My sister bought it. Yes, bought it. I wasn't going to give that to anybody, even GOD. It was too much work. I will have her take a pic and I'll post it here. I think I might have to make another one now. Wouldn't a Halloween one be cool?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt4st View Post
Sounds cool Cynthia..... do you have any pics?

Old 2007-10-04, 9:59am

Ok, I whipped this up this morning to show you the cluster. I normally would get a little piece of steel wool and clean the copper before putting it together, but I didn't have time. You will get the idea though. Many of these clusters on a necklace looks georgous! Any kind of flowers or leaves. These were made right on the end of copper wire with a vice holding the wire while you work it. Than the excess wire is sniped off and the ring is made. They are very secure. You couldn't pull these off of the wire if you tried.

Old 2007-10-04, 11:38am
The Crazy One

If your looking for a stiffer wire kinda thang.... I use 308 or 316 TIG in .035 and .045. the small is slightly bendable.
Old 2007-10-04, 4:52pm

i have used silver plate before. 16g i believe. it slightly discolored a bit but not too bad. but boy let me tell you, the wire gets very hot, very quick.... hurts the fingers,,,,, and my brain was fighting let go, no don't let go, let go, not don't let go.... i hate it when that happens..

Old 2007-10-04, 9:57pm
dances with ideas...

Cynthia--those are very cool!

Old 2007-10-06, 7:31am

You can buy a high-temp steel wire at stained glass stores like Delphi. I have made lampwork bugs and creatures and used the wire for legs and antenna. When the bead is soft enough, I used small tweezers to place the precut lengths of wire in the body and then added glass to the ends of the wire. I don't have any photos of any of the ones I did, but they were a lot of fun to do. You can get really creative with designs. The wire is used for fusing I think. Call Delphi and talk to one of the people in tech support if you can't find it on their on line catalog.

Good luck

Roy
Old 2007-10-06, 11:36am

Thanks Roy for the suggestion. I will check out the local stained glass store in Minneapolis, meanwhile I am still experimenting with the copper that I have on hand.

Ollie
Old 2007-10-06, 11:42am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbrim View Post
i have used silver plate before. 16g i believe. it slightly discolored a bit but not too bad. but boy let me tell you, the wire gets very hot, very quick.... hurts the fingers,,,,, and my brain was fighting let go, no don't let go, let go, not don't let go.... i hate it when that happens..
Well, I was using a riostat (phonetic spelling) to hold the wire so I didn't burn my fingers, and had no such conflict going on between art and pain. Ollie
Old 2007-10-07, 4:02pm

LOL.... yes i hate such conflicts....

Old 2007-10-08, 4:15am

Frantz used to carry a tool by Carlo Dona that holds a copper wire in a thumb clamp and leaves a long handle for you hold onto. I bought it one year at the Gathering, but have to admit never using it. It's what the Italians use to make their beautiful tiny glass flowers on wire.

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog
Old 2007-10-08, 5:07am

ya, a pin vise works pretty good too.... i just didn't think before i tried it.... it was like grabbing a mandrel and putting glass on it, i don't burn my fingers then... ya what I thinking... LOL

Old 2007-10-08, 6:56am
Noobie

Cynthia, those are awesome!
Old 2007-10-08, 7:05am
Noobie

Im sorry, really dumb question here...the wire is used as a mandrel?? Cynthia, do you have a problem with the wire bending? What is the size of the clusters and leaves? I love those, I think I have some 22g copper wire, Im going to try this...I get to torch tonight, I just had my tank refilled.
Old 2007-10-08, 7:38am

Cherie. The wire will bend but with only about 2" sticking out of the vise, you should be fine. You just have to be gentle and the glass needs to be soft. You can't be marverin' er nothin' like that. The berries are a little larger than the real ones, and the leaves are about 5/8" long. I have done flowers too. I made an entire necklace all with the glass on wire. Think of all of the headpins you will save

Oh, and 22 guage should work. I think I used 20 on the sample! I was thinking about trying it on nickel wire too. I have never done that.

Old 2007-10-08, 12:51pm
geekitude on two wheels

I use wire for my button shanks. Copper is probably the best bet for what you are talking about; it anneals in the flame & so is quite pliable after cooling. Annealing & cracking are not issues. Sterling is another possibility, but fire scale is a real problem. You can flux first and pickle after you anneal, then buff & polish to get rid of it. Cracking shouldn't be an issue. Don't flux the end of the wire you want the glass on tho, it won't stick. Hi-fire wire is also available at ceramics/pottery supply stores but is very stiff & hard to bend so is probably not your best bet. It's not very pretty, anyways. I've never had a problem with it cracking, but I imagine that it might crack if you tried to bend it after adding glass to it simply because of the force required & resulting stress to the bead - you would have to be very careful not to bend too close to the glass. - jen
Old 2007-10-09, 3:02pm
just plain silly

Love your holly and berries Cynthia! Think I should go play with this idea and have some fun!

Suzanne