Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-07-24, 8:14am
It dazzles, it sparkles

Default wispy frit beads

Hi there,

Thanks to anyone in advance for any help you can offer.

I have seen a few wispy looking frit beads recently and wondered what the technique might be, is it similar to pulling frit stringer, but then no pulling it and winding it like a normal spacer bead?

MANY MANY thanks in advance

Anna

x x x

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-07-24, 9:00am
Looking for my waistline

If you add fine frit, then let the bead get hot enough to drip a little, you can use gravity to pull the frit into little whispy streaks. You have to let it drip, then pull it back into the round by turning the mandrel and bringing the drip back into a smooth surface.
Old 2008-07-24, 9:23am

Val Cox put a great tip on her frit site. Using a clear rod, just dip the end of the rod in the frit, melt it in and wind onto the mandrel. You can go ahead and encase using the same rod.

Old 2008-07-24, 9:27am
Looking for my waistline

Yes, that works great, too. It might be easier for someone who hasn't conquered the gravity bead yet.
Old 2008-07-24, 11:13am

It gives a totally different effect than a gravity bead. They're not the same thing.

Old 2008-07-24, 11:20am
Looking for my waistline

Yes, it does create a different look. The gravity wisps stay on the surface. The fritted rod method allows the color to sink into the center of the bead. It just depends on which wispy look you're trying to achieve. Good thing Darleen came back in to mention that!
Old 2008-07-24, 11:21am
Crazy Snake Lady

This set was made using the rod dipped in frit and wound on the mandrel method. It's an easy way to get a cool look. This particular frit has mica flakes in it as well. The rod got very bubbly and I ended up naming the set "Pool Party."

Old 2008-07-24, 2:22pm
Looking for my waistline

I almost forgot! Another wispy bead is made using the veiled canes. Almost every veiled cane color I've seen is scrumptious!
Old 2008-07-25, 4:26am
It dazzles, it sparkles

ah yes of course!!!
Excellent guys, you have been a great great help
thanks so much.x

Old 2008-07-25, 10:37am

I'm having a duh moment. What's a veiled cane?
Old 2008-07-25, 11:00am
Looking for my waistline

It's a rod made with very thin layers of different colors, usually transparents, but not always. The outer layer is either a lighter transparent or clear and the inner layer (or layers are darker, more intense color.
Old 2008-07-25, 4:39pm
one day at a time

Another wispy look is to rake (I use clear stringer) in two or three places around the circumference of the bead. Like these? Is this what you're looking for??
Attached Images

Old 2008-07-25, 4:46pm
Lover of all things color

I wonder if your thinking of the watercolor beads. They are kind of wispy looking.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2008-07-26, 9:23am

This is done the way I described above: