No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Closed Thread

Old 2009-02-07, 9:03am

Default Devardi Glass Technical Input and Experiences

I thought I would open up this thread for folks who would like to talk about this glass in an artistic fashion. I would love to hear opinions good or bad about the TECHNICAL aspect of the GLASS!

I have made a few things with it so far. I love the Black Met, Burgundy, and the Butterscotch so far. I haven't had much time to play with it yet so my experience is limited.

But really, what I want most is.......Pictures!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-02-07, 11:03am

Woops! Thank you for moving this. I thought about it after I posted that it should have gone here. I'll blame it on the coffee. Not enough yet.

Old 2009-02-07, 11:03am
On A Lampwork Hiatus

Well I thought I would start this off as so many people were having trouble with the metallic black and can tell you what I did..

For the Effetre Periwinkle blue and metallic black spiral below.. To get the metallic to come out, I turned my propane way down but still had a small flame. I gently bathed the black in the tip of the flame slowely avoiding boiling.. It has an oil slick look to it.. Kind reminds me of the surface of silver plum without being purple.

For the saffron metallic black bead below.. I made the entire bead first, pressed it, etc, working high in the flame.. When I was ready to bring out the metallic black, I kept the flame the same but brought it down in the flame until the black started boiling. The black boiled long before the saffron got too hot.. The picture makes it look like it has a rough surface but it is smooth. It reminds me of Reichenbach's Opal Black color which when reduced kind has a similar effect, at least mine did.
Old 2009-02-07, 11:06am
Cancer SUCKS!

Can't wait to see more photos appear.

Thanks for starting this thread!

Old 2009-02-07, 11:06am

Megan. I was looking at this last night. It's STUNNING! I would not have thought to boil the black. It looks like silver foil when it's first aplied to the bead before going into the flame. I can't wait to try this. Lord knows I bought enough metallic black to last me quite some time

Old 2009-02-07, 11:12am

Me too about the pink Deb. I saw your post on the other thread but thought I would answer it here. I think I'm done with the other thread. I do have some pink that I haven't tried yet. I hope I'll have some time today. I will post a picture of one of my "Tattoo" beads done on Butterscotch which is a color I'm in love with.

Thanks for posting.

Old 2009-02-07, 11:35am

That Butterscotch is great. I compared it to Moretti 266 yellow and it is just a slight shade darker. You mentioned pink. Is it a pink or what they called the dark rose? The dark rose is fantastic and it did not burn out at all. I know they ordered a large quanity of it. I only got one rod in the assortment I purchased.
Thanks for starting this thread. Us newbies do appreciate it.
Regards, Jim
Old 2009-02-07, 12:13pm
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan View Post
Well I thought I would start this off as so many people were having trouble with the metallic black and can tell you what I did..

For the Effetre Periwinkle blue and metallic black spiral below.. To get the metallic to come out, I turned my propane way down but still had a small flame. I gently bathed the black in the tip of the flame slowely avoiding boiling.. It has an oil slick look to it.. Kind reminds me of the surface of silver plum without being purple.

For the saffron metallic black bead below.. I made the entire bead first, pressed it, etc, working high in the flame.. When I was ready to bring out the metallic black, I kept the flame the same but brought it down in the flame until the black started boiling. The black boiled long before the saffron got too hot.. The picture makes it look like it has a rough surface but it is smooth. It reminds me of Reichenbach's Opal Black color which when reduced kind has a similar effect, at least mine did.
Ahh... so that's the trick. I'm going out to try that right now. I'll post some pics (probably in the next few days) when I can.
Thanks for the info AND the pics. Beautiful beads, hopefully, I can do the same.

Thanks, Jack

Old 2009-02-07, 12:16pm

Has anyone tried the transparent yellow? What do you think of it?

Michelle

Old 2009-02-07, 12:41pm
Ad astra per aspera

Here's my post from the other thread.

I'm done with my testing and all the beads are either cleaned or in the kiln. I didn't get as many colors in my assortment as I'd hoped, but they're very interesting colors. Overall, I'd give my particular bundle a B-/C+. Some of it is lovely but there's definitely room for improvement. I'll post pix of my little test beads on Sunday (heading to Tucson tomorrow).

First, here's how "I roll" at the torch. I'm more than willing to gently heat a rod to get it going, especially if I can see a flaw in the glass like a sudden bump or bubbles. I ALWAYS heat and pinch off the first little gather, and I always make allowances for some spitting and cracking on a cut end because some glass will just get micro-cracks from the cutting. I take that all in stride. I also work rather HOT, on a Midrange, but for these tests I set a smaller, cooler flame than usual (at least for me LOL).

Bad news first: I got a short rod of opalescent/opaque medium gray that's shocky to the point of not being useable under my normal working conditions. Every time I'd start to get the next bit warm, it would crackle and shock and blow apart rather violently. After I lost the third inch, I gave up. I garaged it in the kiln for 20 minutes and tried again, and just managed to blow off another 1/2 inch. Into the trash can with that one! Pity, cuz it's a nice shade of gray.

I was also disappointed that I got several doubled colors, i.e. two rods of the same color, instead of a true assortment.

Better news: I got a nice range of pastel blue-greens, from a sky blue to an ocean blue (there was a Vetro color like this a while back) to an ocean green to a pea green. I made small, plain test beads of each, and then a center-wrapped bead using Vetro clear. No cracking so far. The sky blue is really wonderful because it's very close to the Moretti sky blue, but doesn't haze up at all. That and the ocean blue-green color are my favorites. The ocean blue-green looks more translucent on the rod, but goes opaque and stays that way. The paler blue-green had a weird rod shape, like a 3-dimensional C. I was concerned about bubbles, but I kept the concave part at the top, and it all melted down very nicely.

Not so great news: I got a nice-looking transparent green, very pretty color. However, it crackles a lot, and gets this very weird, almost devit-like finish on one side that turns into micro-bubbles as it's being wound on. I fiddled with my flame (and my patience) and couldn't get rid of it. Hmmm

I got a dark transparent olive that's bubbly and not very exciting as a color. I got a medium transparent amethyst that's also bubbly but a prettier color. I got a pale pinkish transparent that reminds of of the pale rose Moretti (looks more peach than pink to me), also quite bubbly. They behave, though, so if you like the seeded glass look, it could be a good thing. Also, an opaque dark brown that's so dark it's really hard to tell that it's brown, and it looks greyish when encased. (All of the blue-greens were also paler when encased, but that's normal with many pastels, no biggie.)

I'm insanely in love with the transparent yellow. It's bright, strong, melts great, not as many bubbles and looks terrific over white (I used CIM Peace). Same with the transparent red. VERY easy to strike, looks like a cherry cough drop, also looks good over white.

Presently in the kiln there's a transparent black/deep gray that reminds me a LOT of Val Cox's veiled Gaffer canes. Nice! Also an opaque olive green that's not my favorite color (in general) but could be fun. The rod I got had a bump with some impurities in it (looked like a small piece of gravel, I swear) but I just heated around it and pulled it off. It seemed a little shocky at first, but settled down okay. There's also a color which looked salmon-y on the rod, but I'm not sure what it will be out of the kiln. The rod cooled more brownish.

I had one issue with two of the blue-greens and the salmon color. The rods had "nicks" in them, almost as if they caught on something as they were being pulled, like a "bump---bump---bump." They bubble at this point, a LOT.

The rods are, in general, somewhat irregularly shaped both in diameter and straightness. Mostly it wasn't a problem, though sudden bumps make me nervous. (Thar she blows!)

I want more yellow. Period. Probably more red, too. I want to try the transparent orange and the pastel orange, and some of the pastel reds.

Overall, I like this stuff (especially the price). It seems to play well with some of my favorite mixers (more testing, though, before I'm sure), and the colors are nifty.

Old 2009-02-07, 12:46pm

Thanks Karen. I read this over at the other post. I'm very curious about using with clear. I see you used it with the vetro. I'm going to try it with some ASK clear that I have just to see what happens. I'm going to go right now and see what developes. I've been trying to get out there now for 2 hours but things keep getting in my way like......um.....my stomach for instance. MMMMM lunch!

Old 2009-02-07, 12:48pm
Ad astra per aspera

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladymeme123 View Post
Has anyone tried the transparent yellow? What do you think of it?

Michelle
I'm ordering a pound today, does that help? It's a nice, rich yellow, darker than the Moretti 008, and so far it doesn't streak into opaque, either. It needs to be struck, but that's easy as can be (same with the trans. red and orange, woohoo!). My rod has a few bubbles, but not as many as the pink, light amethyst and green I got.

Old 2009-02-07, 12:50pm
Ad astra per aspera

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassactcc View Post
Thanks Karen. I read this over at the other post. I'm very curious about using with clear. I see you used it with the vetro. I'm going to try it with some ASK clear that I have just to see what happens. I'm going to go right now and see what developes. I've been trying to get out there now for 2 hours but things keep getting in my way like......um.....my stomach for instance. MMMMM lunch!
LOL, lunch...what a concept!

Clear is my big concern, too. I'm going to try a few colors with Lauscha and Precision today...if I don't get distracted by some other stuff.

Old 2009-02-07, 1:41pm

Thank you Karen, I'm keeping a running list of all the yummy colors.

Michelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDreamer View Post
I'm ordering a pound today, does that help? It's a nice, rich yellow, darker than the Moretti 008, and so far it doesn't streak into opaque, either. It needs to be struck, but that's easy as can be (same with the trans. red and orange, woohoo!). My rod has a few bubbles, but not as many as the pink, light amethyst and green I got.

Old 2009-02-07, 5:09pm
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

Default Red and Orange...

The trans. Red & Trans. Orange are great! Very powerful and bright!

(The heart has a touch of Triton at the tip)

Jack

Old 2009-02-07, 5:51pm

Ooo whew, found you guys again...

WOWWOWOWOW Love that metalic black on that bead Megan.

Jack that orange is so juicy looking reminds me of Lauscha Trans Orange.

Lovely work and will enjoy reading about this glass once again.

Not sure I can order it as I am up here in Canada and I hear the shipping is quite steep, but I love reading about new glass and its possibilities.

If they make a great pink and it stays pink, I will then see if they will ship a whole lotta pink up here
Old 2009-02-07, 6:00pm

Nice beads Jack. They are very bright. I like the heart with the Triton tip.

I made two "Peeper" beads today. One has an ASK glass core and a coating of Opaque orange and lots of layers of Moretti flowers. The other has a core of clear Moretti with one coating of white and a coating of the Burgundy Devardi. I really mixed up these glasses on purpose because as I said to Karen, I really want to make sure the Devardi plays nicey nice with the clear because I won't be using the Devardi clear fur sure. I have LOADS of other clears.

I'll post the pics when they are done cooking if they are still in one piece.

Old 2009-02-07, 6:24pm
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBeads View Post
Ooo whew, found you guys again...

WOWWOWOWOW Love that metalic black on that bead Megan.

Jack that orange is so juicy looking reminds me of Lauscha Trans Orange.

Lovely work and will enjoy reading about this glass once again.

Not sure I can order it as I am up here in Canada and I hear the shipping is quite steep, but I love reading about new glass and its possibilities.

If they make a great pink and it stays pink, I will then see if they will ship a whole lotta pink up here
The pink is one of the colors I wasn't able to get a hold of before they ran out. (Salmon too) I'll be waiting patiently for more pink in the future!

Thank you for the kind comments,
Jack

Old 2009-02-07, 7:14pm
Just me

I am pulling the information in my relevant posts from the other thread to put here about this glass.
There are three different posts here which is why it's so big. I can separate them if any one thinks it would be better.

Here's a pic of their color chart. I saw it when I picked up the glass but didn't get a chance to look at it as well as I'd like. Jim was nice enough to send me a copy.
There are some colors there I wouldn't mind trying. Especially the pinks.

Well here they are. My test beads.
Not great, but I'm rusty, it's been several months since I lit my torch and I was in a hurry. I had a lot to do in a short time.
Another thing is I got a new camera, new computer, new editing program and am surprised I didn't completely lose my mind trying to get pictures.

For reference I am working with a piranha on one oxy con. I also garage annealed.
Working with the glass was good for the most part. I didn't find it to be overly stiff to melt compared to Effetre, meaning I didn't notice a huge difference.
No shocking or splintering except for a couple fat rods where all I lost was the tip. A couple of the transparents were bubbly as was the clear.
I purposely mixed the Devardi with effetre in most beads.
None of the rods were labeled in the assortment I bought so the names of the colors are a guess from looking at their auctions against the rods.

First test is clear. The black bases are effetre and the clear is Devardi.
I kind of expected the results I got. There are bubbles in the rods and some scratches so quite bit of bubbles and some scumming in the test beads. Even with the tip cleaned the results were the same.
The ugly frankenstein looking tab was to test and see if the silver would turn color. It did in the spots I got the bead really hot.
With the black spacer, it's hard to see in the photo but in person you can see micro bubbles throughout. Not horrible but being an encased floral maker I think I'd have issues.

The next test is the semi-opaque white for Karen (DesertDreamer)
One plain spacer, two cores of semi-opaque white with either amethyst or topaz encasing.
I forgot to mention the rods are a pale blue until you melt them. If you keep the glass cool it will stay blue but with more heat the glass will become white with a slight bluish cast. (looks more blue in my pic than in my hand)
Absolutely no issues with shocking, reducing or sooting when making these beads. I really liked this color and will be working with it more to figure out how it works with different levels of heat.

This test was encasing with Devardi on a effetre core and vice versa. Unannealed as Pam suggested.
Top bead is Devardi semi-opaque blue encased with effetre med lapis
Middle bead is Devardi opaque blue encased with effetre med lapis
Bottom bead is effetre white encased with Devardi trans Marine blue
The top bead cracked but it's thermal because I was looking at it too long.
The reason I was staring at it is there was an opal like glow to it. You can see in the picture the pink spots on the bead. It's not a reflection but part of the bead. Kinda cool I thought. I will try this combo again and anneal it to see if it stays.
The other two test beads seem to be okay so far.
As you can see the Devardi trans marine blue was bubbly. I will try again to use this and work with it a little cooler and clean the tip to see if it was me or not.

Devardi Opaque Black
This bead has a Devardi Transparent smoke base and Devardi opaque black dots.
The opaque black will get a metallic sheen in an oxygen rich flame. I had to hurry with this one so my dots aren't melted in well and I didn't get to really try to bring out the metal in the glass.
As you can see the base color is bubbly.

These beads are just color tests.
1st bead - Devardi Butterscotch with effetre rubino stringer.
I wanted to see if it was more like opal yellow or dk ivory. The colors didn't react like ivory does with rubino.

2nd bead - Effetre white core with Devardi Transparent Dark Purple.
Not a single issue with this bead. Beautiful color.

3rd bead - Opaque orange with Effetre Lt Turquoise dots.
I wanted to see if there would be a dark/black outline like you would see with effetre orange and the turquoises. No reaction at all. I didn't get the chance to try this with the Devardi yellow.

4th bead - Opaque salmon. Really pretty color and would make some lovely florals. I did have some bubbles forming while winding on the bead but I think I was working it too hot. They didn't show up in the bead.

Last beads are just for fun.
A Devardi Semi-Opaque Dk marine (I think) Wonky Hollow
The encased floral has a Devardi semi opaque green base with effetre flowers and encased with Vetrofond clear.

Well, that's what I have so far. There where a bunch of things I wanted to do and didn't get it all done. Lots more colors and combos I wanted to work on.
I will see about getting some more time to work with this glass again soon and will post the results when I do.
I hope this has been helpful.
Update on the copper/sulphur reaction testing.
I made a couple more small spacer sized test beads last night to see if yellow would react and to test the orange again. The two top beads are the new beads and are not annealed. (Devardi Opaque Orange and Opaque Saffron bases with Effetre Lt. Turquoise stringer)
Here they are small, about twice as big as they are in real life. I used a 1/16th mandrel.

With the naked eye I cannot see the reaction with the bottom orange bead, which is the one I have already posted, the other orange bead is hard to tell if it's there or not, and with the yellow bead I can see it just fine.
I took large close up pictures to see what the camera sees and as you can see it picks up a slight reaction on all three beads. I think the reason it's hard to see with the naked eye is the Devardi glass is opaque in the core of the bead but the surface looks like it's been thinly encased with a transparent, that and I made small beads.

Now about the effetre stringer. On the first bead I made and already posted (bottom bead) I grabbed a stringer, I had pulled some time ago, out of my lt turquoise glass cubby and with the new beads I just made I pulled a new stringer from a full rod. (I couldn't find the previous stringer I had used on my messy work table).
Well, by looking at my beads the first one I made looks lighter and I'm wondering if a lt. sky stringer made it into my lt. turquoise cubby by accident, which would be reactive anyway.

So what I'm saying is there is a slight reaction but it's hard to see. I am going to try making larger beads and see if it's anymore visible to the eye. I just wanted to share what I've done and will update again when I get back to the torch with more tests.

Here they are blown up really big to see what the camera picked up.

Old 2009-02-07, 7:16pm
Glass Lover

Wooohoooo!
Look at that Orange and Red! That's gorgeous colour!

That Metallic Black doesn't hurt the eyes either!

Thanks for sharing everyone.
Old 2009-02-07, 7:22pm
Cancer SUCKS!

Bubby, thanks for posting your information here!

Old 2009-02-07, 9:04pm

Wow Bubby, you have been busy. Thank you so much for all of this information. I know that took a lot of time and work.

Thanks!

Old 2009-02-08, 2:39am

I'm still out of town but got my glass right before I left. When I get home tonight I'll play with it and let you know what I think. I also sent an email to Natasha and Daniel asking/begging them to hang around. I hope they do.

Elizabeth

Old 2009-02-08, 10:00am
moth to the flame

I decided to move my post with the results I had from the other thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeadMaven View Post
I made it share my results. I concentrated on using the Trans Burgundy, Trans Lt Rose and Salmon colors.
The other color I got was the Transparent Green and I haven’t melted it yet.

Transparent Burgundy:

In order left to right:

1st: Base of Reich 104 Mystic Beige, Mocha Sundae frit, Flower is Moretti white base w/ Trans Burgundy on top and (then CiM Clear stringer) and Verto Sunshine dot (center).
2nd. Dev Transparent Burgundy spacer
3rd. CiM Peace encased stringer left over from the Rose just wound on a Peace base and melted in.
4th. Trans Burgundy & CiM clear stringer plunged dots on a Peace base.
5th. R 104 Mystic Beige base, Peace encased with Tr Burgundy roses and Moretti/Vetrofond vine stringer for the leaves.
6th. Mystic Beige base with light Trans Burgundy stringer applied and raked.

Transparent Lt Rose and Salmon:

In order left to right:

1st. Salmon spacer
2nd. Effetre 452 Red Brown base, Flower was Salmon petals w/ Trans Lt Rose and then Vetro Sunshine center.
3rd. E 452 Red Brown base and Salmon stringer, raked.
4th. Avenue Beads Streaky Sage base with a twisty made of: Mystic Beige, Lauscha Trans Coral Striker and Dev Salmon. The twisty was a bit stiffer than others I have used but I am not sure of it was the MBeige or Salmon that was the culprit.
5th. Trans Lt Rose spacer
6th. Reich Mystic Beige base encased with Trans Lt Rose.

Apologies on the pics, I didn’t use the tripod and I wanted to get these done.

Over all, I liked working with this glass. The Trans Burgundy is a striking color. I thought I had burnt out the color a couple of times but I let it cool and then restruck it and the color came back very nice and easy for me.

The Trans Lt Rose did splinter a bit but I honestly wasn’t sure it was the cold weather or me being anxious but there was no foaming or scum in the rods I received. I did have to pull off the end as I first started melting it but I thought I was getting it too hot. Once I pulled off the end and worked a bit cooler it was fine. I love this color as it seems to be a little more peach than pink…which I love. Compared to the Laucsha trans Peach it’s a tad darker and shows its color better.

The Salmon did have a few bubbles in it as I was melting it but they didn’t show up in the bead.
Also, I had read years ago that all corals are pretty much striking colors so I have always made a habit of striking any coral I use. I took extra time to striking the Salmon like I would Opal Yellow to be sure I got good color. In my pic, the Salmon is a tad washed out as my lighting wasn’t good but I tried my best.

I did notice this glass is a bit stiffer but since I have started using Bullseye glass too it wasn’t an issue for me. One thing I really did notice was the Trans Burgundy stringer. I usually just break my stringer in half with my hand as I get ready to use them…the Trans Burg was very hard to break and it was a stringer maybe 1mm.
I am on a HH and batch anneal. I made these and 2 days later annealed them at 960. So far so good on all the beads. No cracking and I used CiM Peace.
If I see any changes, cracking etc I will be sure to come in and report any problems.

I hope this is clear as I am not a ‘real’ tester. lol If there are any questions please feel free to ask.
Going out to day to play a bit. I'll try out the Trans Green and see how it behaves.

May you always have love to share, health to spare, and friends that care.
Old 2009-02-08, 10:07am

Hi Elizabeth. Glad your back. I hope they hang around too.

Ok, here is my test so far. The first one is made with an ASK clear core with an Opaque Yellow Devardi overlay. The other colors are Moretti.

The second one is Moretti clear with first a white overlay, and then the Devardi Burgundy yummy stunning color. The surface stuff is Moretti. They came out of the kiln with no issues. I'll stick them in the freezer, poor little fellas, and make sure they are stable. I'm looking for compatability issues more than what the colors will do. I want to make sure Devardi plays well with others, than I can play with the colors. I make huge beads so I have to make sure they won't crack.

These two colors I had absolutely no problems with. No shocking, no bubbles, smooth as butter.

Old 2009-02-08, 10:28am

Wow Cynthia, those are really stunning! I love that yellow and the burgandy.

Question, is putting them in the freezer a way to check for compatibility?

Cool, see I learn something new everyday!

J
Old 2009-02-08, 10:32am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBeads View Post
Wow Cynthia, those are really stunning! I love that yellow and the burgandy.

Question, is putting them in the freezer a way to check for compatibility?

Cool, see I learn something new everyday!

J
Well, not entirely but if there is a crack that is not visible yet under the bead, it should make it start to travel faster from what I have heard, but I don't know that to be 100% fact. Maybe someone else could chime in on that theory too

Old 2009-02-08, 10:38am
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

Wow Glassactcc,
Beautiful beads!!!

Jack

Old 2009-02-08, 12:01pm
just plain silly

Thanks everyone for moving the info on this glass into a different thread. Some very lovely beads being made with this glass!

Killer beads Cynthia! Now I know who bought all the metallic black Man oh man, I was I had more of that stuff!
One question though. I thought the ASK clear was not compatible with anything but itself... are you finding that to be incorrect?

Suzanne
Old 2009-02-08, 12:22pm

Thank you Jack!

Susanne. This is what Craig from Arrow Springs told me. He said that 95% of folkes were having no problem with the glass, and 5% were, therefore he could not sell it as completely compatable glass. When I was there a few weeks ago, I purchased some to try. I have had no problems with it at all so far. I went ahead and purchased 10 more lbs. cause I'm a glass ho!

I have used it with Moretti, Vetro, and the Devardi with no issues so far. Silver glass I don't know about. There must have been something that the 5% of people were using that it didn't like. The glass is stunning and crystal clear and was selling for $20.00 per lb. at the time.

Closed Thread

Tags
devardi