Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2010-01-21, 3:27am
More ideas than talent

It's a shame because I think the idea has merit though obviusly a number of authors have reservations.

I guess the difference in perception is because the files are electronic whereas physical publications have traditionally used a variety of distribution networks, with traffic varying dependent on type.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-01-21, 7:58am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendbill View Post
It's a shame because I think the idea has merit though obviusly a number of authors have reservations.

I guess the difference in perception is because the files are electronic whereas physical publications have traditionally used a variety of distribution networks, with traffic varying dependent on type.
Well, I had two different people accuse me of trying to either steal someone else's work or to just "sit back and make money off of someone else's hard work", so I figured it was best to just drop it.

I personally think it's a great idea, but I guess I'm in the minority there...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-01-21, 8:13am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

yes, clearly you are trying to rip off hard working tutorial authors.

That is ridiculous.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-01-21, 8:44am

I think a site to review tutorials would be great. As I said above it is needed so that the wheat can be sifted from the chaff.

But the idea got lost in the 20% commission thing.
Old 2010-01-21, 10:44am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini View Post
I think a site to review tutorials would be great. As I said above it is needed so that the wheat can be sifted from the chaff.

But the idea got lost in the 20% commission thing.
Well, as I said many, many times, 20% was just a random number that I came up with as an example. As I explained I never ran the numbers to see what it would cost and was just in the planning process. I used 20% as an example to say that a percentage would be charged instead of a flat fee.

Obviously there would be costs associated with this, so I would need to charge something to cover them. The idea was that it would be a web site where people submit their tutorials and someone could buy them directly from there without having to click on a link to go to another page. Kind of like Amazon for tutorials.

But, anyways, I was raked over the coals for even suggesting it, so the point is moot anyways...

Old 2010-01-21, 10:53am
ManBearPig

Can a mod close this thread please?

Old 2010-01-21, 11:00am
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
Well, I had two different people accuse me of trying to either steal someone else's work or to just "sit back and make money off of someone else's hard work", so I figured it was best to just drop it.

I personally think it's a great idea, but I guess I'm in the minority there...
That's just silly. If you did a 5% commission I would have been in. That would be pretty close to the same fee Etsy charges.

Old 2010-01-21, 6:27pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
Well, as I said many, many times, 20% was just a random number that I came up with as an example. As I explained I never ran the numbers to see what it would cost and was just in the planning process. I used 20% as an example to say that a percentage would be charged instead of a flat fee.

Obviously there would be costs associated with this, so I would need to charge something to cover them. The idea was that it would be a web site where people submit their tutorials and someone could buy them directly from there without having to click on a link to go to another page. Kind of like Amazon for tutorials.

But, anyways, I was raked over the coals for even suggesting it, so the point is moot anyways...
Oh, I know it was just a random number. But it sure did get people attention!

The best part the site you propose would be the reviews. I like the idea and as I mentioned earlier, you're not going to get a refund so it's good to know as much about people's experience with the tut. There are few products out there that don't have a customer review outlet.

It's very difficult to make money on the internet never mind cover your costs.

Last edited by mini; 2010-01-21 at 6:34pm.