LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-04-21, 5:11pm

Default using electroformer for anodising?

I think I've read somewhere that I can use the electroforming unit to anodise Titanium or Niobium - anyone know where I can find the information and instructions on what I need to do?

Don't know what I have the sudden urge to do this (like I need an extra project - lol).

Sadie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-04-21, 8:04pm

Great idea! I don't see why it would not work, but I just skimmed the page. Here's a link to a page I found:http://www.mrtitanium.com/anodizing.html

Mary
Old 2009-04-21, 8:15pm
ManBearPig

www.caswellplating.com

Check them out. I'm 99% sure the rectifier you have for electroforming will work, but check their site out. They have all kinds of kits and stuff, and they can tell you for sure if it will work.

Old 2009-04-21, 8:30pm

Thanks ... that is where I got the unit for electroforming to begin with!

Old 2009-04-22, 7:18am

Anodizing takes much higher voltage than the standard electroforming rectifier provides.

So come up to the lab and see what's on the slab...

Old 2009-04-22, 7:47am

I asked Tink about this when I took her class last fall since I knew I wanted to try both electroforming and anodizing. As John said, it takes a lot more voltage to do anodizing. She had spent some time with Evan H. and learned to do it, but wasn't comfortable with the amount of voltage used to pursue it any more. Evan has a tutorial on his website:

http://www.dawnandevan.com/making_an..._bead_caps.htm

-Diane

My Facebook business page:

GTT Bobcat or Carlisle Lucio on an Integra 10
(and sometimes I pull out my HotHead!)
Old 2009-04-22, 8:21am

I played with anodizing for a while. Different voltages produced different colors. Typically 80 to 110 VDC. I made a brush and painted the colors on titanium. The colors were nice, I've seen some amazing results. Titanium was very hard to work with and it was just a matter of time before I shocked the daylights out of myself, so I gave it up.

Steve

Old 2009-04-22, 2:14pm
a pox upon an idiot :..

Won't the color on niobium eventually wear off if it's exposed to being rubbed against something, like a bead cap on a bracelet? I had a niobium ear ring and the color faded to the dark gray after a year or so.
Old 2009-04-22, 3:09pm

As I understand it, the higher voltage colors are more durable, although all the colors will abrade off under the right conditions. Compared to a patina though they're much harder to rub off.

Old 2009-04-22, 3:10pm

Thanks for everyone helpful responses looks as though I will have to save my pennies for an anodizer!

Old 2009-04-22, 3:54pm

Sadie - I know - ANOTHER tool to buy...... That's why I asked Tink if you could use the rectifier for both purposes since I knew an electroforming kit was in the future for me.

Starrr - I made a chainmaille necklace with anodized niobium rings about two years ago. It may have faded a little tiny bit, but even after wearing it a couple of times a week for all this time it still looks great. I worried about fading myself, but it doesn't seem to be an issue.

-Diane

My Facebook business page:

GTT Bobcat or Carlisle Lucio on an Integra 10
(and sometimes I pull out my HotHead!)
Old 2009-04-22, 5:12pm

LOL Diane!

That's why I was hoping I could use my electroforming unit that I already have - trying hard here not to buy more equipment or glass. Looks as though I have to get another unit !