Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2011-12-04, 9:36am

Default NS-09 Question

Ok, this is going to sound crazy, cuz it is. I have made many beads using NS-09 over Brilliant Blue and I got a very hazy watery blue green. I love this combination. I even kept notes on it. Now...... several months later I can't get it. All I see is yellow over blue. I have figured out that only some rods do it. I've also tried reducing, which I didn't originally do. It's very hit and miss, mostly miss. I ordered more 09 and now am ready to order more. Before I do, I'm wondering if anyone else knows what I'm talking about and how to do it again. I called Northstar Glass but the gal didn't know.
Attached Images

Old 2011-12-04, 9:52am

I really don't know, the #9 that I have seems to differ from rod to rod as well but have you tried making an encased cane? Maybe it'll make a difference having the colors touch more for longer. Or maybe it won't. lol
Pretty beads BTW!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-12-04, 11:41am

Thanks Rebecca, I'll try that next. I'm glad someone else noticed the canes can be different.
Old 2011-12-04, 11:44am
Curmudgeon Engineering

The glass companies are always 'tweeking' their recipes for one reason or another so often different batches will do different things when used in unusual ways such as yours.
Old 2011-12-04, 12:11pm
I'm a lilac!

Maybe try the NS-34 (ELY) and see if you can reproduce the effect with that? The beads in the pic look much more like 34 than 09 to me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-12-04, 12:59pm

Heres what i got from Northstar.

NS-09 Yellow is an eye catching striking transparent yellow. It can be struck in a kiln or in the flame. This is another good forgiving striking color for those starting out. If it is worked in an oxidizing environment, NS-09 Yellow will yield a transparent golden yellow. If worked in a neutral to slightly reducing flame NS-09 Yellow will start to darken and turn a semi opaque amber color. Because the strike can be easily controlled, NS-09 Yellow can be used for sculpture, beads, and blown work without washing out or overpowering the work. Try layering NS-09 Yellow over NS-07 Ruby for a vibrant fuchsia color (as demonstrated in Northstar Newsletter issue , and be sure to try it over NS-28 Blue Exotic.

so if your like me, when i am encasing a color in another it is easy to get different amounts of reduction between rows of color. So what may bring in an differant colors.

Last edited by mightymike; 2011-12-04 at 1:04pm.
Old 2011-12-04, 2:28pm

Kalera, I've tried that, too. It could be that different rods do different things with ELY, too. I'll try another rod.

Mike, I've read, reread and read that so many times I could recite it to you.

I'm convinced it's just certain rods.

I've been trying this for days now and I am having some luck. It's just not predictable. I ordered another pound of yellow so that will give me some new stuff to test, LOL. Seconds.
Old 2011-12-04, 2:41pm
Serenity Now!

Well, if you're using seconds, that's surely your problem Rose! They are seconds because they are just that: 2nd to the original color. You'll never-ever get predictable results using seconds. If you want off-priced glass, go for odds. Same glass as the original colors, just 'odd' canes - some might be thinner, or whateve. That should do the trick for you to get consistent results.

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:
Old 2011-12-04, 2:41pm
I'm a lilac!

My only other thought is whether your fuel or oxy pressure has changed? I've gotten different effects with boro simply because someone somehow bumped my regulator and changed the pressure ever so slightly.

Old 2011-12-04, 3:32pm

Val, I just worked through firsts, and they didn't work at all. I remember last time I got 2nds and I tested a bunch of them. I could see a difference in the rods, they had a blue haze to them. Some worked, some didn't. I think i'm working the "didn't" ones now.

Kalera, that was my thought, too. But I think I got that one covered. I guess I need better notes when these things happen so I can go back and figure things out better. I work with NG and concentrators.

Maybe I should try silver.

Last edited by Rose; 2011-12-04 at 3:57pm.
Old 2011-12-04, 4:04pm
I'm a lilac!

Yeah, you don't get much variation with NG and concentrators... that's one nice thing.

Old 2011-12-07, 4:51pm

The striking yellow may well be a light Amber/Purple. If so, it will vary more than most colors. I cannot speak for Northstar but I can tell you that A/Ps tend to vary, batch to batch and sometimes even top of the batch to bottom.

I can also state that definitions of Odds and Seconds vary from company to company. At TAG the seconds have flaws in the glass, but unless they are also an Odd LOT (off shade) they should generally produce the normal color range, but just have some random stones or surface scuzz. FWIW...

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2011-12-08, 5:55am

Thanks for that info, Jenny. Boro is an interesting beast, that's for sure.