LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-08-23, 2:32pm

Default Lampworking?

Why is making glass beads with a torch called lampworking? I read on the net its because people used to melt glass with an oil lamp... but Im afraid this just doesn't seem right to me - either the glass was much easier to melt or it was some powerful oil lamp !!!
Any ideas please ............
Old 2008-08-23, 3:46pm
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by effemess View Post
Why is making glass beads with a torch called lampworking? I read on the net its because people used to melt glass with an oil lamp... but Im afraid this just doesn't seem right to me - either the glass was much easier to melt or it was some powerful oil lamp !!!
Any ideas please ............
It's an antiquate term that many like to use because of it's history. Most people involved with glass work know what "lampworking" means but outsiders more often think it means making stained glass lamps. That's why many have abandoned the term "lampworking" and instead adopted the term "torchworking" or "flameworking". They all mean the same thing. Personally, I prefer the more general term "glass artisan".

DeBrady Glassworks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- - Glass Campus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan
Old 2008-08-23, 7:54pm

Actually glass was melted over an oil lamp at one time, and as people learned more, they added bellows to add extra air into the flame to make it burn hotter, then progressed to a bunsen burner type flame. That's where the term comes from, the oil lamp.

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog
Old 2008-08-23, 8:41pm
PyronamixK

You don't need a super hot flame just to melt glass. You can melt stringer with the flame of a candle, afterall. But, the hotter and cleaner your flame is, the more you can do with the glass and the faster you can go.
Old 2008-08-24, 4:35am
RaymondMillbrae

Hmmmmm...interesting.

LAMPWORKING DEFINITION

In Christ: Raymond
Old 2008-08-24, 6:14am
Lover of all things color

I found that when I used the term "lampwork" I had to add additional information about what it meant, usually something refering to glass and torch so now I just say glass torch work or something like that.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2008-08-24, 9:10am
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by simvet02 View Post
I found that when I used the term "lampwork" I had to add additional information about what it meant, usually something refering to glass and torch so now I just say glass torch work or something like that.
The term "kilnformed glass" was adopted to include and explain fusing and slumping glass. Perhaps "flameworked glass" would be the most universally understood term.

DeBrady Glassworks
- - Glass Campus
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan
Old 2008-08-24, 12:50pm
Lover of all things color

I like that, "flameworked glass". I'm a flameworker....that intriguing!

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2008-08-24, 1:01pm
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by simvet02 View Post
I like that, "flameworked glass". I'm a flameworker....that intriguing!
You can join that with "formed in fire" to describe how your work is made.

DeBrady Glassworks
- - Glass Campus
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan
Old 2008-08-24, 2:10pm
Gentleman of Leisure

When I first started lampworking it was common to use "lampworking" in place of the archaic or antiquated term or phrase of "working at the lamp", referring to "lamp" worked glass from antiquity....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2008-08-24, 3:25pm

We've been using flameworking for many, many years now, also at times torchworking, but I think flameworking has always won out - has a nice sound to it.

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog
Old 2008-08-24, 6:28pm
Borovangelist

Try some satake. That stuff'll melt when you look at it funny

The phrase that always makes me want to laugh at the person asking is when they ask if my ornaments are handblown. That makes me think of a clown blowing soap bubbles through a ring formed with the fingers. Depending on what how long I've been entertaining similar questions I'll either nod enthusiastically and tell them that I make it all myself, or tell them that I tend to use tools, I get burned less.

|
|
Old 2008-08-24, 7:32pm
Curmudgeon

Quote:
or tell them that I tend to use tools, I get burned less.
At a craft show, a lady looking at one of my hanging glass panels asked, "Can it break?".

I replied, "Only if you drop it".

DeBrady Glassworks
- - Glass Campus
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan
Old 2008-08-25, 3:31am

Thank you for all that information everyone
I also found this, which was very interesting... especially as I also looked up Blaschka and Ginny Ruffner
http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache...ord+lampworkin
Old 2008-08-25, 6:00am
Borovangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Brady View Post
At a craft show, a lady looking at one of my hanging glass panels asked, "Can it break?".

I replied, "Only if you drop it".

LOL

|
|
Old 2008-08-26, 9:33am
Peerless Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by menty666 View Post
Try some satake. That stuff'll melt when you look at it funny

The phrase that always makes me want to laugh at the person asking is when they ask if my ornaments are handblown. That makes me think of a clown blowing soap bubbles through a ring formed with the fingers. Depending on what how long I've been entertaining similar questions I'll either nod enthusiastically and tell them that I make it all myself, or tell them that I tend to use tools, I get burned less.
LOL

beware Wikipedia....it's not always right....

Old 2008-08-26, 11:49am

I've been involved with antique hand-made marbles for decades and am forever researching the where's and when's of many of these gems."Lampworking" as a descriptive phrase has origins in the late 1800's and was used to describe the practice of making glasswork,be it marbles or bottles,etc, after normal work hours using scrap glass culls.This would supplement whatever wages folks made in those early sweatshops.Like today's pipemakers,those "lampworkers" surely pushed the creative medium to new heights.