No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-02-16, 10:26am
On A Lampwork Hiatus

Default What do you think of this kiln?

I have been looking for an additional kiln. One that is large enough to do some small fusing projects so I don't have to take my AIM kiln apart everytime I want to do any and also as a backup kiln. There is a man locally that has offered to sell me this for $200 plus some of my old camera equipment.

It is a Grobet 120 volt burnout kiln with infinite switch and it comes with an Orton Sentry stand alone digital controller. It is used and older but looks to be in decent condition. Its front loading. Inner dimensions are 13x13x9.. here is a link to someone that is selling one so you can see what it looks like and info on it...
http://store.b2bprofessionaltools.co...21141-jpg.html

My thinking is that its a great deal but how is a burn out kiln different from a regular kiln or is there a difference. do you think it will work for fusing, small ceramic projects, and batch bead annealing in a pinch? I know the webpage above says it will but what they say and what it actually does, sometimes differs.
Old 2009-02-16, 11:31am

The kiln looks great, but I would make sure the controller is capable of multiple stages in a schedule. Some of the older controllers were used to make the kiln go up to a certain temp and then shut off. Whether it can be controlled for annealing would be my only question. It does have an infinite switch which seems to me should be able to be used on the ramp down if the controller won't work for that.

Sounds like a great deal.

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Blog
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-02-16, 3:27pm
On A Lampwork Hiatus

The man said that you had the ability to do 8 different cycles on the controller. I am crossing my fingers all is well..
Old 2009-02-16, 6:31pm
Lover of all things color

It looks like a nice kiln but you can get something bigger for less. I got the Skutt Hotstart Pro for something like $750 It is appx. 15" x 6.5" It has an LT GlassMaster Controller that has preprogrammed schedules for full fuse, tac fuse and room for four custom programs with 8 cycles each. I love it. I was able to plug it in and fuse. I'm using it for annealing right now until I get my bead annealer and have never had a problem with it.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2009-02-16, 7:41pm
On A Lampwork Hiatus

I am not paying the price that is on the website.. Heck no.. Its used, selling it at $200 plus some of my 35mm camera equipment.
Old 2009-02-16, 10:07pm
KILN BUILDIN FOOL

For 200 snap it up

Mike

When you tell lie's about someone, well you get what you get.
Old 2009-02-16, 11:03pm
I speak Murrini!

Megan~~~

This is the same type of kiln we used when I taught an Adult Evening School class on bench jewelry design 15 yrs. ago. It's a work horse and if it's been well cared for, should last and work well for your fusing needs - probably for several years to come.

The term "burn out" refers to burning out of wax molds - steel crucibles that have been filled with "investment" (plaster like material) with the wax suspended inside on a sprue - in preparation for casting in a centrifugal machine.

I would ask if you could fire it up first, test out the shortest cycle, and see if it seems to be in good (fairly accurate heat-wise) working order. In addition, since these are used to burn out waxes, check the interior (when cool, of course!) to see that there's not too much scaring or residue inside. You may get an "aroma" of burning wax when this kiln is in use if there's any residue in there (assuming it was actually used for burning out waxes in the past) but as long as the smell isn't intense or annoying and there isn't any smoke or obvious "fumes", it should be good to go!

Good luck and hopefully, if you get it, it works out well for you.

De in CA

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2009-02-17, 3:49pm
Lover of all things color

I agree, for 200 that is a great little box.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con