LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-01-29, 7:24am

Question lamp from glass vase - need drill bit

Good Morning - we have been looking for a hanging lamp for our foyer. I haven't found anything I liked that I could afford. I was showing my husband some beautiful italian glass pendant type lamps, and he suggested we try to make some from vases.

I found some glass vases at TJ Maxx. They are about 18" tall, about 3" in diameter. The plan is to hang at least 2, possibly three at slightly different heights, with a dimmer switch.
Issue - The base of the lamps are pretty thick. There are different drill bit recommendations all over the internet. Can anyone recommend a decent glass drill bit?

Also, if anyone has already done this, please feel free to offer tips and advice.

Thanks,
Jen
Old 2012-01-29, 8:54am

Check the craft forums about drilling out glass blocks to make those "presents". Glass block, hole, insert short strand of lights and wrap with ribbon. The bit used for those would be large enough to meet your wiring needs.
Old 2012-01-29, 9:17am
Loving learning

I have bought glass bits at Harbor Freight. They have a couple of different types.
Just remember to go slow, &keep it wet (I keep spraying mine with a spray bottle of water but many people find a way to keep the hole under water) so it doesn't get too hot & break your vase. Did I say go slow? Don't get in a hurry & press to hard, you'll regret it! You might want to practice on some scrap glass until you're comfortable with it.
I normally use a drill press, but I don't know how you could use one on your vase.

I forgot to say my neighbor works with glass (makes boat windshields, etc.) and he buys the really good bits from a catalog. I can get the name if you want. I just use the cheaper ones since I'm not using them too often so I'll just buy another when it finally goes bad.
Old 2012-01-29, 9:23am
Borovangelist

And once you get through, don't forget a rubber/plastic bushing where the wire passes through the glass so it doesn't wear.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Old 2012-01-29, 9:36am

Thank you everyone! i think we are going to work on them after work this week, so if we get them finished, i will post pics!

we are going by harbor freight after work tomorrow and i will check out the craft forums as soon as i finish painting my bathroom

Jen
Old 2012-02-26, 3:50pm

A while back I asked about drill bits - thanks to everyone who responded - this is what we made for our foyer.
Attached Images

Old 2012-02-26, 4:04pm

Way cool!! Good job.
Old 2012-02-26, 4:57pm
grama punky - class junky

lovely!

Old 2012-02-26, 9:22pm
honorary bead lady

Those are great
Old 2012-02-27, 5:13am

Thanks! Have a great week everyone!
Old 2012-02-27, 9:40am
Glass-aholic

Absolutely beautiful!! Great job!

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.: