Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2009-02-27, 9:18am
Pyromaniac

Default Glass Storage Woes

I put off building glass storage, and now it appears that Lowes doesn't carry those fantastic 3-section fence posts anymore...Am I stuck with the PVC pipe option or does anyone have any magical suggestions? (or a secret stash of that fencing!)

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2009-02-27, 9:20am
Cheesehead Packer lover

If you have a Menards close to you, they have the same fencing in the garden center. I bought all of mine there. Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cherie
Sisters Beads
If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague
Old 2009-02-27, 9:30am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

They do still carry it in some areas, which means they can order it for you. You may have to convince them to dot it, but they are supposed to if you ask. I THINK this is the right piece:

Freedom
1 3/4" x 5 1/4" x 96" Vinyl Rail

Item #: 87348 Model: 61401S

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2009-02-27, 9:31am
I fart diamonds

They carry it. It's in the garden department (outside), not with the regular fencing. (How much do you need? I can bring some to the Spring Fling).

Old 2009-02-27, 9:32am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

YOu might want to check other Lowes stores nearby - online. Only one of the 5 stores here carries it.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2009-02-27, 9:54am
Pyromaniac

I don't know how much I need shawnette - but we have quite a bit of soft glass, plus boro... Let me do some more research before. Maybe someone down by me still has some! I was told by employees at 3 stores that they no longer carry it.... but maybe that's a Miami-Dade/Broward thing.

Woohoo I have hope again thanks you guys!

Old 2009-02-27, 9:59am

Don't discount the pvc pipe totally. When they're stacked, you have storage between the pipes for smaller quantities of glass. I'd need twice the storage I have if I hadn't been gifted Chuckie's old pvc storage. Those little spaces between are very handy.

Old 2009-02-27, 10:03am
Pyromaniac

I'll keep that in mind...

Speaking of which does anyone have any bright ideas for full rod and tubing storage, other than keeping them in the case?

Old 2009-02-27, 10:13am

How handy are you with a hammer? Chuckie's dh made a crate out of 2X4's to store them. Crates make me think of other things . . . fruit crates, milk crates? Or what about metal shelving, either industrial or the type for restaurant kitchens. They would likely be strong enough. Just depends on how much you need to store.

Old 2009-02-27, 12:12pm

USA fence sells them in 8' lenghts. They stock two different kinds one has roundish edges on the outside.
The other one that has the squared corners is the easiest to cut w/ o getting it to chip.
Make sure you cut it outside ...what a mess.
Attached Images

Last edited by beadgirl; 2009-02-27 at 2:20pm.
Old 2009-02-28, 8:04am
Pyromaniac

Well we're headed up to Northern Palm Beach County this morning to see if the Lowes there lied to me or not

Hmm... what length to cut them in That's another good question lol.

I have my cases of boro tubing and rod on top of a metal shop shelf now, about 7 cases half full or better, and it's holding up fine - so in retrospect I just need a place to keep a couple pieces of each for working stock stored vertically so that they're handy by the torch.

edit: I just did a little figuring - it looks like 18" for boro color (longer rods) and 12" for soft glass (shorter rods). For whatever reason that's how the glass I have is cut anyhow. That way I can get either 2 18" sections and 5 12" sections, or 4 18" and 2 12" out of each 8' piece.

Last edited by Bunyip; 2009-02-28 at 9:51am.
Old 2009-02-28, 6:02pm
Pyromaniac

I ended up buying eight 16 footers... lol thank god for trucks with ladder racks!

Old 2009-02-28, 6:09pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

oh good, you found them!

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2009-02-28, 9:46pm

We must have coordinated this morning without knowing it. I purchased 3 10 foot downspouts today and some PVC glue. I haven't decided exactly how long I want to make my cuts - since most of my glass is about 12" I am thinking to make them 10" so I can easily see the color. Just one more step in getting myself ready to melt stuff -- ROFL - still waiting for the "place" to be unburied in the garage! Thankfully we have a long bed crewcab truck with a shell. Don't drive it much lately since diesel is so expensive but it got a little workout today.
Old 2009-03-01, 8:50am
Guera loca

For your vertical full-rod storage, you wight want to go with the 2" square clear tubing that JC Danczak sells. (Thanks to whoever it was on LE that turned me on to this company!)

Here's the link: http://www.jcdanczak.com/our_products/subcat_113.html. It's fairly inexpensive and holds a lot more of each color than the fence rails do. It comes in 24" lengths. I use these, cut in half, in my glass storage shelves for larger quantities of particular colors. I use the fence rails for silver colors and glass that I don't have a lot of, like shampoo glass, Reichenbach cane, etc.

Danczak also sells very nice round tubes in a variety of sizes and lengths. I put stringers into the 12" long round tubes and then store the tubes with the corresponding colors of glass in my larger glass storage. It protects them, keeps them together, and it's nice having them in the same bin as their bigger siblings.

I'll post a photo when I can.

Barb

- our restaurant
Old 2009-03-01, 10:17am

If you are considering pvc pipe, you might want to consider fluorescent light bulb covers. You can cut them with a sturdy scissor, stack them in a crate or one of those stacking melanine organizer shelves thingies... easy cheesy!

I've bought the bulb covers at Home Depot. (The web site link I gave is an example, not an endorsment)

The blogs of your fellow LE'ers are here...

And lookie, it's all about me... ***
Old 2009-03-01, 11:00am
Pyromaniac

Thanks for all the ideas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
oh good, you found them!
Yep, thanks to you and Shawnette, I'm very happy now!

I'm still mulling what to do with them - I'm thinking bookshelf, or cabinet or something... I haven't even figure out what length to cut them in...

Old 2009-03-02, 12:57pm

I have checked North Florida and I can not find those fence rails anywhere?
I bought them at Lowe's and Home Depot but both stopped stocking them. I can special order them but they are twice as much.

Where are they available in south Florida or central.... I guess I need to do a road trip.

So strange. I asked at Lowes if any stores in Florida carry them still and they said no. I need more. Help.... Anyone?

Also for those in Florida..... Florida Glass Dragons meeting in March is up here in Jacksonville. March 14.... Please come...

As for what to do with them.....

I used the 3 cubbie stackable shelves from target. I paid 9.99 each. I plan to use the bottom cubby for other storage.

Or they have a sturdy rack system at Sam's or Costco.

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]

Last edited by Dasi; 2009-03-02 at 1:08pm.
Old 2009-03-02, 1:18pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasi View Post

Where are they available in south Florida or central.... I guess I need to do a road trip.

So strange. I asked at Lowes if any stores in Florida carry them still and they said no. I need more. Help.... Anyone?
Heather, Lowes does carry them. They are in the Garden department (outside), not with the regular fencing that's inside.

Old 2009-03-02, 1:19pm
I fart diamonds

You can also check with local fencing companies. The one near my house gives me their scraps for free.

Old 2009-03-02, 1:21pm
Fancy Mammal

Quote:
I have checked North Florida and I can not find those fence rails anywhere?
I bought them at Lowe's and Home Depot but both stopped stocking them. I can special order them but they are twice as much.

I have found the farther out of the city and the closer to horse country you get the more likely you are to find them. Suburban neighborhoods don't use them too much, so the nearby Lowes and Home Depots don't carry them.
Old 2009-03-02, 4:39pm

USA Fence Company has it.
Our Lowes does not have it anymore, I checked two stores today.
Like Shawnette said (Outside) in garden center center is where they keep it.
Old 2009-03-02, 8:13pm

I have bought plenty outside in the garden center at both Lowes and Homedepot. They both no longer carry them outside or inside. I have been checking. I bought plenty in the past outside..... see above picture.

Are you sure they still have them at the Lowes in Orlando? I will drive down and buy some.

Old 2009-03-02, 10:50pm
On A Lampwork Hiatus

Here is a photo of my glass storage. My hubby finally built me some extra PVC tubing glass storage and I decided to take a photo. Cheap and stores a ton.. If you can't find the fence posts, its a great runner up. A little glue, PVC, and duct tape..

Old 2009-03-04, 6:01pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
I have bought plenty outside in the garden center at both Lowes and Homedepot. They both no longer carry them outside or inside. I have been checking. I bought plenty in the past outside..... see above picture.

Are you sure they still have them at the Lowes in Orlando? I will drive down and buy some.
I am 100% positive that they still carry it in the Fern Park Lowes. I just went to double check and saw it with my own eyes. I can't speak for the other locations. If you need me to pick some up and bring it to the Spring Fling, I'd be happy to do so.

Old 2009-03-05, 6:43am

Yes... Yes.... that sounds great.... I will let you know. What were they charging for the rails.... Length? I bought 10 foot length.

If you don't know I can always call the store myself and ask first.

Old 2009-03-05, 6:47am
I fart diamonds

They're $9.97 and I'm pretty sure they're 8ft but they might be 10. I just did a quick look.

Old 2009-03-05, 7:06am

I did a check on all stores in Florida that carry the rails. Just a few stores in Florida carry the rails. No stores in Jax carry them but I did find some in Orange Park Florida. That is easier to do for both of us.

Thanks for the offer! I was told by the JAX stores that they stopped carrying them in all Lowes stores....WRONG a few stores do carry them. See you at the spring Fling.

There is also a meeting at my home in about 10 days. March 14th. Please come. They are carpooling up here. I have a big swing set too..... I bet your son would have fun.

Old 2009-03-05, 7:21am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
I did a check on all stores in Florida that carry the rails. Just a few stores in Florida carry the rails. No stores in Jax carry them but I did find some in Orange Park Florida. That is easier to do for both of us.

Thanks for the offer! I was told by the JAX stores that they stopped carrying them in all Lowes stores....WRONG a few stores do carry them. See you at the spring Fling.

There is also a meeting at my home in about 10 days. March 14th. Please come. They are carpooling up here. I have a big swing set too..... I bet your son would have fun.
It's the 14th? Lol! I thought it was this weekend so I wasn't planning to come but I think I can make the 14th.

Old 2009-04-06, 9:44am

just trying to experiment with uploading photos. hope this will come through. if there is no photo, then it did not work and i am giving up for now.