Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Website help and critique

Website help and critique -- Get assistance with your website.

Old 2009-04-14, 5:58pm
szglassy

Default Is poppashop seo????????

Is a Poppa Shop web template SEO??

I thought that I read somewhere that your site needs to be " coded" in order to be picked up by search engines??

Is this true?? oe whats the story on that??
Old 2009-04-14, 7:59pm
Cancer SUCKS!

oooh, will be watching to see the outcome of your questions. I'm studying SEO right now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-04-15, 5:45am
szglassy

I checked the site and it says they are!!

Does anyone have any experience with this???
Old 2009-04-15, 9:24am
On A Lampwork Hiatus

I don't know what the correct answer is but I can tell you from my experience the only thing that seems to get picked up is the main website page and for the life of me I am still unable to get yahoo to pick me up. I have read some place that the type of templating or something the sites use, yahoo doesn't like.

No matter how much search engine optimization I do, you still have to do a lot of work on the other side getting your link out there, etc. 6 months after having my website I was on page 11 searching lampwork beads. After about 6 months after that of working and working on adding content, blogging, and getting my website out there, I got to page 2.. Now I am on page 1.. Last January I was #2 and I kind of let it go for a while and dropped down to the end of the page. Its a never ending battle.
Old 2009-04-15, 11:30am

I've done a little research on SEO. The different engines look for different things. So to cover the bases I think you need to have keyword and description meta tags, and key words used in the body of your pages.

I target several primary key words on each of my sites, so those words get used in the narratives on my pages, as well as in the alt tags on my images.

Head on over to my first site and right click on the page and 'View Page Source' to see what I have done.

Tuning up your site is just the start. I write articles and make videos, then post at various sites, with backlinks to my web site. Links to those videos and articles are posted on several social media sites like Facebook, stumbleupon, twitter, etc. Google seems to like one way links pointing to a site, reciprocal links are ignored.

And, things change with the search engines as tricks are developed to improve rankings. Reciprocal links got hot and whole sites were developed to farm the links, poof reciprocal links were out the door. Repeated keywords were hot early in the SE development, now they are death.

Steve

Old 2009-04-15, 4:55pm
szglassy

Thanks Steve!

Would you come up #1 if someone specifcally typed in your name?? and that was the name of your URL??
Old 2009-04-16, 3:01am

How to do effective link building (SEO)? My work profile is SEO till now i have been given the work of directory submission, Social bookmarking sites, Yahoo Q & A, Do- follow blogs for certain websites. But their rankings are not improving though back links have increased. I am not able to find out whether my work is worth enough for the company in terms of SEO. If you have any suggestion please help me.

~
~
Old 2009-04-16, 8:16am

Quote:
Originally Posted by szglassy View Post
Thanks Steve!

Would you come up #1 if someone specifically typed in your name?? and that was the name of your URL??
If that was the search phrase, it would likely be at or near the top. I'm not sure that is how people find you or me. People are going to be searching using more general key words, like 'lampwork beads' or lampwork beadmaking.'

The way I do it is to target key words and work from there. I sell Eurotool cutters and pliers so I target those three words. My content is rich with those words, they are in my meta tags, and are the subject of videos and articles with backlinks to my site.

If you find a niche with specific key words, that would make a great URL.

Solankie, I have to head to San Antonio this morning. PM me and let me know more details and I will look at what you have been doing tomorrow and see if can help. I use some keyword tools that might help you focus on words for the niche you currently occupy.

Steve

Old 2009-04-18, 5:23am
szglassy

Hey steve,

how does that work if you have a specific domain name for your product and then secured similiar names? could you add those into your tags or some how link that to your search?

or was it just best to do it so no one else could get that name?
Old 2009-04-18, 10:34am

I'm not sure what you mean szglassy, but buying several domain names would cost a bit. If you already have a product, it would be great to have the domain name match up.

If that is not possible, then work the key word variations. Like on my site, where we have the keyword 'wirewrapped.' I also mix in 'wire wrapped' in my meta tags and in the body of my pages.

I did that because I found that was both were popular search word or phrase.

Steve