No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-05-01, 2:38pm
old person/new member

Default Copper with glass

This may seem like a pretty dumb question- but here goes anyway. Can you melt glass onto copper sheeting? I am thinking of dripping a pattern of molten glass maybe with some silver etc onto a disc of copper. Would it be kind of like using powdered glass and firing it in a kiln. Could you anneal the copper disc? Has anyone tried this?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-05-01, 3:08pm

Sounds like a fun thing to try! What gauge is the copper disc, and what size piece are you talking about? My guess is that the copper will not adhere to the glass (or vice versa, and whether the glass goes over the edges of the copper)-- depending on your lay up and on the size of the copper vs the amount of glass, you'll have some compatibility problems. But it's worth a try. I'd be very curious to see what happens, so post pictures if you try it!

Good luck.

Mimi
Old 2009-05-02, 9:08am
Peerless Thread Killer

Well, for copper enameling, which is just glass powder fired (melted) onto copper, it sticks really well, so I don't think you would have a problem with the adherence.

Old 2009-05-02, 9:43am
old person/new member

Thanks. I'll give it a try and see what happens.

Old 2009-05-02, 10:07am
Micromosaic and Lampwork

I don't know much about enameling, but I do know that both sides need to be coated with a thin layer. Something about the piece bending. I have dabbled with it, and got cracks when it's just one sided.

Also, glass tends not to stick to metal that is not hot, so if the glass was dripped onto the metal I'm not sure it will stick. It would need to be warm. Perhaps using hemostats and adding the glass while it is warm in the flame would work. And then punty up to the glass so you can access the copper where the hemostats were.

I have played recently with copper tubing and transparent glass. It sticks and works, but it's not as pretty if there is fire scale. It's much nicer when the clear is added when super hot and you can coat the copper before it "burns".

What is your project for? Perhaps we can figure something out so you have success.

Good luck, be sure to post pics!!!

Old 2009-05-02, 4:14pm
old person/new member

I really don't have a project but I thought it would be a neat thing to do. I can imagine kind of smeared glass on a cut out shape of copper. I would drill a hole first so that I don't have to be too hard on the glass after its cooled. I would like to try it with sterling sheet too..
I'll try heating the copper or silver before trying to put the glass on it...then stick it in the kiln to anneal. Didn't have time today- tomorrow I have to work....
frustrating to have these things youre dying to try but life gets in the bloody way!!!!!

Old 2009-05-02, 4:36pm
She better not sell these

You got me thinking, too. Wouldn't it be neat if you could premake the copper liner or bezel shape, then ooze and smoosh your molten glass into it, then build it up and make all sorts of designs, the dimensions might be really cool!

#T53
"I love making lampwork beads, one at a time, with a Cricket or Minnnow burner on 5LPM oxycons".
Old 2009-05-05, 6:18pm
old person/new member

Well it didn't work so well. I did four samples. Mostly I dripped and smooshed glass onto clean copper sheet. Annealed and had a look today. Three of the sample peeled off- a layer of glass did stay stuck but the bulk came off.

The forth was nestled in a curl of copper- it seems fairly secure. I haven't had time to clean the black stuff off the copper yet...I will and then I'm going to stick it in the fridge for a while and see how temperature changes effect it.

I did make another very VERY exciting discovery right after I did this--- but you have to go to "Silverwork and Metal Clay" departiment to see it! hee hee