Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2009-05-05, 12:03pm
She better not sell these

Default Powder application woes

I did a search on powders, found some great info and some fun ideas, but didn't find the answer to my question, so I am thinking I might be powder challenged.

I am trying to use powder to back my pendants with. I only have one powder, so I can't compare it to other powders.

I have Northstar P12504 Jet Black.

I am having a hard time applying the powder. I pour it on a graphite or brass paddle, then shake it a bit so it doesn't have any mounds, then when I push the pendant back into it, I get clumps of powder.

I have tried to tap the pendant to knock off the clumps, but they are stubborn and don't tap off.

Then I have to heat and heat it to get it to lay down nice. I either lose part of the shape of the pendant or take forever to melt the powder nice and flat.

Am I missing something?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#T53
"I love making lampwork beads, one at a time, with a Cricket or Minnnow burner on 5LPM oxycons".
Old 2009-05-05, 2:15pm
No Problem!

Powder is fickle that way. Heat too much and too deeply and you get clumps.
You can try heating the back of the pendant briefly with a fierce flame. Then just lightly and quickly dab the pendant in the powder.
That way just a thin amount of glass on the surface is hot enough to pick up a fine layer of powder. Then melt it in and repeat until you get the look you want.
Another thing is that it is sometimes easier to get a nice layer if you have a larger/deeper volume of the powder to dab into so that the graphite isn't so close that it pulls heat out of the main piece of glass.
Honestly I haven't used a lot of powder on the back of pendants. I go for the frit myself.

(Beau & Shani)

Old 2009-05-05, 2:20pm
ManBearPig

With powder, apply it in multiple coats, not just one coat. I have never really backed a pendant with it because I think it's quicker and easier to just use a rod, but I do a lot of vessels with powder on them, and I tend to use at least 10-12 coats if I want it solid.

Old 2009-05-05, 2:33pm

I never even considered the heat was going through the powder and making it stick to itself!

That makes so much sense, I have been giving the pendant a good healthy dose of heat before putting it in the powder. I was treating it like frit or 104 enamel. I probably was pushing pretty hard, too.

I am so thankful! I was afraid I was going to have to sift it on, and that is messy and puts more glass particles in the air.

I have tried with a rod, I get so-so results. My best bet so far has been small frit, but I had to try some powder. I tend to want to try everything before I settle on any particular way to do anything.

#T53
"I love making lampwork beads, one at a time, with a Cricket or Minnnow burner on 5LPM oxycons".
Old 2009-05-05, 3:21pm
No Problem!

It's all in the look you want. For a more formal solid color backing, smearing it on following a spiral motion from the center outward with a rod is basically the way I go about it.

(Beau & Shani)

Old 2009-05-05, 3:55pm

I need to try the rod method again, I was gifted some really fantastic colors that would make great backings!! I think when I was doing it I was really new to boro and I was pulling my stringers pretty thick, I will try again with some smaller stringers.

I haven't tried it using a full rod. I am on a cricket, so I probably don't have the heat to accomplish that very well.

#T53
Old 2009-05-05, 8:30pm
ManBearPig

There's a trick to getting a good back with a rod. Easier to show than to put into words though.

You will have no problem doing it with a cricket.

Old 2009-05-05, 9:03pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
There's a trick to getting a good back with a rod. Easier to show than to put into words though.

You will have no problem doing it with a cricket.
As are most glass techniques

Glad to know I will be able to do it with a cricket. After I get this powder thing worked out, that will be my next step. Is it on one of your tutes? If so, which one?

#T53
Old 2009-05-06, 5:55am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggyinaz View Post
As are most glass techniques

Glad to know I will be able to do it with a cricket. After I get this powder thing worked out, that will be my next step. Is it on one of your tutes? If so, which one?
It will be in my next book...

Old 2009-05-11, 12:08pm
Marbles, dude, Marbles

I used to coat pendants by smearing it on in a spiral movement but then I would usually be able to see the smear lines from the front of the pendant. So, now I take a rod, heat the end up into a small glob and gently push it into the center of the back of the pendant. Then I just keep heating the rod and feeding it into that center glob. Once I have a big enough glob I heat the entire glob and let it flow out to the edges of the pendant (with a little help from a graphite paddle). Voila, no smear lines.

Old 2009-05-11, 12:28pm

The glob method sounds like it is right up my alley, I can't wait to try that.

Besides, how much fun is it to melt and push glass? One of my favorite things!

#T53
Old 2009-05-12, 6:56am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmkcpa View Post
I used to coat pendants by smearing it on in a spiral movement but then I would usually be able to see the smear lines from the front of the pendant. So, now I take a rod, heat the end up into a small glob and gently push it into the center of the back of the pendant. Then I just keep heating the rod and feeding it into that center glob. Once I have a big enough glob I heat the entire glob and let it flow out to the edges of the pendant (with a little help from a graphite paddle). Voila, no smear lines.
That's pretty much the way I do it.

Old 2009-06-03, 8:17pm

gmkcpa and cosmo,

The glob method works best for me too. I am doing it in a couple stages because I keep getting the whole pendant too hot, but everytime I do it, it gets better and easier and I get faster at moving the glass. Practice practice practice!

I have given up on the powder for the time being, I will mess with it again another day. Putting a good size mound on my marver helped, but it is still a pain in the patootey. By the time I get to the point of backing the pendant, I am too close to being finished and lose patience.

Thank you so very very much for all the info and input, it really helped me a lot to have different views and options! You all rock!

#T53