Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-09-06, 5:58pm

Default Heating glass to prevent temp shock

I know using a kiln is the best way to heat up the glass so that it wont go into temperature shock when placed directly into the flame. I personally dont have a kiln but would like to continue working on a piece i started would i be able to place the glass in an oven and heat the glass up that way?
Old 2010-09-06, 8:08pm
Lampworkaholic!

No. Even in a kiln at ~1000 degrees, reintroducing a bead into the torch flame can be tricky. (I am talking about soft glass only, no experience with boro - yet.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox

Last edited by Elizabeth Beads; 2010-09-07 at 2:57pm.
Old 2010-09-06, 8:23pm
Tweedle Dumb

A curling iron heater may work... it gets pretty darn hot especially when the hole is covered with a fiber blanket. Only problem there is you can't control how fast it heats up, and that in its self could cause problems. So I would say it depends on if you are planning to allow the piece to cool completely and then try to bring it back up to working temp (probably won't work) or if you think you are going to be working on it, need a potty break and need a place to rest it for a minute and then reintroduce it to the flame (might work). Worth the investment in any case, it makes for a really nice murrini heater and is good to preheat shocky rods.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<Click For My Latest Murrini!

<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2010-09-06, 8:50pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by merncai View Post
I know using a kiln is the best way to heat up the glass so that it wont go into temperature shock when placed directly into the flame. I personally dont have a kiln but would like to continue working on a piece i started would i be able to place the glass in an oven and heat the glass up that way?
When you say 'a piece' do you mean a bead? Or a sculpture? I have a mandrel spinner and I also have a beaker holder (piece of lab equipment) that will hold the spinner still spinning in the flame. while I answer the phone, go to the toilet or just need an break to rest my arms or something.

That worked for me anyway

Kym
Old 2010-09-07, 1:35pm
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by merncai View Post
To answer your question, cooking ovens don't get hot enough to heat up soft glass for that purpose and even in a kiln that does get hot enough, you would need to take the temperature up gradually.

If you were to work borosilicate, you could reheat some things in the flame rather easily without thermal shocking the glass.