No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-09-13, 11:19pm

Default Getting there - maybe

Hi All,

Just after some advice please (again sorry). I think I may be getting somewhere with getting set up and am going to be using my shed. Is this going to be a problem? The shed is only around 7/8ft by 5ft but already has a work bench in. (I am kicking the bikes out much to my husbands displeasure) I am planning to buy a starter kit (thanks to the wonderful gift certificate I received) that has a hothead torch in it.

I will not lie the shed is not in great condition (has holes in the walls where the wood has rotted but my lovely husband has re-felted the roof. Rented house so can't really replace the shed.) will try to load a picture. Will I need something for ventilation and if so any suggestions that will keep costs at the minimum? I have looked through the safety thread but having trouble working it out for a shed.

Also I have seen this kiln on Ebay and wondered if it would be any good as a starting point http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Small-elec...item416a6e665a

Sorry that I just seem to be asking for advice all the time but hopefully once I start making I will be able to comment more and offer advice as well.

Thanks a lot for reading
Niki x

There is a fix to every oops.
Old 2012-09-14, 1:05am

Hi Niki, sounds like you're getting close Good ventilation is a combination of fresh air coming in, good air circulation, and ideally, an exhaust fan to remove fumes and gases from the lampworking area. Note, the ideally above... I have taken 2 classes and they didn't have an exhaust fan, just louvres open and fans pushing air out. I work in my carport, attached to the house, open on 3 sides, if it's really still (no breeze) I set up a portable fan to cool me down which also blows the fumes away.
As a hobbyist on a hothead I think you can get away with cross flow ventilation (see, the holes in the walls are a good thing ....). See pros/cons on ventilation systems here http://www.aspenhotglass.com/Class/Shop_Ventilation.htm
Old 2012-09-14, 1:10am
Resident hippie

I got my ventilation fan from ProGrow in the UK. If you need an 8" elbow bend as part of it I will send it to you for the cost of postage.
As to the little kiln - I don't know that it would get hot enough. You could invest in a digital controller if it would.

Have FUN!!!!! It's not about perfection..... Leslie - [not so] Crazy Woman

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-09-14, 1:13am
Resident hippie

The first class I did there was no ventilation. I knew I wouldn't be taking up lampwork cos I felt so ill afterwards. That was before I found LE Good luck with it all Niki.

Have FUN!!!!! It's not about perfection..... Leslie - [not so] Crazy Woman

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-09-14, 1:51am
Alaska Boro

A kiln for $50 USD is a good deal provided that the bricks and/or insulation are in good shape. The front loading door is a plus and most likely can be modified for a bead door.

A PID controller will be necessary for temperature control for the annealing cycle. Or it could be done manually which is a most tedious task. If the latter then a pyrometer with a thermocouple will be needed. For boro your top temperature will be 1050 F or 1175 F for kiln striking. For soft glass less.

There is a good section in the safety part of LE that covers what is needed for ventilation. Overall, there is need to calculate the needed fan CFM. The smaller the opening for a Barley box the less CFM and a less costly fan can be used.

In my case, the numbers came out to 330 to 412 CFM. Went with a Soler & Palau TD250 10" Inline Duct Exhaust Fan which has metal blades and housing plus two speeds. Your needs may vary and there are other fans to choose from at varying price points.
Old 2012-09-14, 12:49pm

Thanks all for the comments and think due to the holes and the all I will go with your suggestion for now thank Fi and see how I go.

I have managed to find a lady who does courses about 20mins from me and am booking 2 hours as a taster and then I am going to be buying my kit. So VERY VERY excited. She also does a class once a month that is 2 hours for £25 so going to go to that as often as I can. Can't believe that only a week or so ago it was a no go and now I am getting close.

Things are definitely looking up have a fab day with my Jewellery today as well but will post about that in the Jewellery section

Thanks again for your comments all

There is a fix to every oops.
Old 2012-09-14, 1:00pm

I think an ACTIVE ventilation system is necessary. Lots of threads here on that. Do a search in the safety area.