1 pound 49 19.92%
2 pounds 66 26.83%
5 pounds 66 26.83%
10 pounds 26 10.57%
15 pounds 4 1.63%
20 pounds 23 9.35%
Voters: 246. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2008-12-21, 5:24pm

I typically have the very best of intentions, but then lose track of what I'm doing and wonder why I'm in the basement looking in the pantry when I meant to be in the studio...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2008-12-21, 5:24pm
Oooooh Sparkly!

I'll admit I bought 10 pounds of drk ivory from 3 different vendors. They are all a little different, but I needed drk ivory any way right
Old 2008-12-21, 5:26pm
In spite of it all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLC Beads View Post
I typically have the very best of intentions, but then lose track of what I'm doing and wonder why I'm in the basement looking in the pantry when I meant to be in the studio...
Let me NOT tell you how many times I have done that trick! I get the oddest looks from peeps (when I get caught) then just turn around and say... well, hell, the cone of silence was all ready being used!

Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us. ~ Stephen Covey

Old 2008-12-21, 9:09pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KetchikanSculptor View Post
Let me NOT tell you how many times I have done that trick! I get the oddest looks from peeps (when I get caught) then just turn around and say... well, hell, the cone of silence was all ready being used!
It's worse at work when I walk back and forth in front of our secretary multiple times and she's just watching me with amusement...

~:
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2008-12-21, 9:20pm
In spite of it all!

Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us. ~ Stephen Covey

Old 2008-12-22, 12:25am
Forever

My goodness, there is never enough of a good thing. I love all glass. It is so shiny and just wonderful. Some day I will accomplish something that will be worth showing....
Old 2008-12-22, 3:49am
BeadsonCypress

You did mean per color.....right?

7+ years and growing - Mini-CC and O2 generator
Old 2008-12-26, 1:14pm
Uh-oh means it's too late

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunamoonshadow View Post
(I wanna cry. I've never had spare cash to buy more than a pound of *anything* )
I totally feel your pain!!!!! I have just ordered my first 24 lbs of glass and most of it is in 1/4 increments. I would say that if I had the cash to spare it would be only 5lbs per color- I wouldn't know what to do with more than that lol. As it is I sniffle a bit whenever I see the studio set ups and the TONS of glass everyone has

Old 2009-01-11, 11:33am

1 pound is enough for me. My beads are mostly clear.

Old 2009-04-21, 5:35pm
<--- Time traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veda's Beads View Post
All. Of. It.
LOL Veda!
Old 2009-04-23, 6:26pm

Mostly 1/4 lb for me. I might buy a whole pound of black, white, ivory. I try to buy a couple rods of colors I haven't tried before but I don't hoard colors and I don't buy colors cause everyone else is buying up certain colors. I never spend more than $100 on an order and I find that sometimes I don't have a color I wished I had but I just find something else to use.
the exception was this week, I just got an order of glass in with on 3 rods of Aurae and now I have a big custom order to do so I had to order some more. Of which I did order 1/4 pound this time. Of course I added some other colors in there that I wanted to try
1/4 sunny coral (haven't tried this one) and 1/4 keylime (love this one)

But the two orders together still was barely more than $100.
So the answer the question, I almost never have more than 1/4 pound of any given color!

"People can be the wind beneath your wings or the anchor on your boat" John Maxwell
Old 2009-04-29, 10:11pm
Super Duper

I used to buy 1/4-1Lb depending on how much I liked it but I find that you can spend a lot of money "chasing" odd lots and then you end up not wanting to use them because you cant get more and they just sit in the shelf. Some of my glass has been untouched for years.

It wasn't so bad back in the day where the only two 104 glass companies were moretti and vetrofond (and vetrofond was so small it didn't count). An odd lot might come out every few months, but now you have like ten companies pumping out opaque filligranas as odd lots, silver glass companies with more odd lots than actual colors etc.

I can't even keep up with the regular colors, don't even bring up odd lots.
Old 2009-04-29, 11:19pm

It would depend on what I used it for (as someone else mentioned) and also the price per pound, but if I really, really liked it, I'd probably stock up and buy at least ten pounds.
I shop for groceries the same way. I keep track of prices and my coupons. When something goes on a good sale, I buy as much of it as my coupons will allow. I've essentially taken home free groceries on several occasions: Chex Mix, frozen boxed Green Giant veggies in cheese or sauce, those Betty Crocker Warm Delights, Totino's Pizza Rolls...you get the idea.
I live alone and have about 20 cans of tuna, 8 boxes of granola bars, about 20 cans of Progresso soup, boxes of microwave popcorn, several boxes of cereal, etc.

I see no reason why I shouldn't do the same with glass. After all, it has a better shelf life than food.
Right now I'm definitely a beginner (I've only recently caught on to encasing and getting nice round beads with nice holes) so I usually just buy a single rod of something to play with and see if I like it. Later on though, I'll be buying stuff I use while it's on sale and storing it under the futon.
Yeah, I'll probably be a hoarder.

Last edited by Aretz; 2009-04-29 at 11:23pm.
Old 2009-05-03, 9:20am
Tweedle Dumb

i had a minor freak out when frantz told me that terranova 2 may not be available anymore because they were having a hard time duplicating the color, i went out and bought 3lbs! then when 2.1 came out i got 2 pounds! i love that stuff! it's my "money maker" color. between that and luna- i would go out of business if double helix stopped making those colors.
Old 2009-05-05, 3:15pm
Formerly FishBulb

If I had a favourite colour that was becoming extinct I would buy all that I could get my hands on. I'd go into debt if I had to.

In the back of my mind I'd be worried that I wouldn't like the colour anymore after awhile, but I'd still score all that I could.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2009-05-07, 10:29am
Lampworkaholic!

After all, you know you can always resell it.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2012-09-18, 5:13pm
Artistically Absorbed

Hi my name is Becca, and I'm an orangeaholic! If it's orange I have to try it, and will likely love it! I very rarely get over 2 lbs of any glass, then I just savor and stretch it. I will also be really sad when Sandstone is gone.

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64

Old 2012-09-18, 9:53pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoTantuli View Post
Hi my name is Becca, and I'm an orangeaholic! If it's orange I have to try it, and will likely love it! I very rarely get over 2 lbs of any glass, then I just savor and stretch it. I will also be really sad when Sandstone is gone.
I'm with you on the orangaholic thing. I love all the different shades of orange. So much variety! It is such a happy color. I can't get enough!

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2012-09-21, 1:56pm

lol. the 10 pounds kind of blew me away, too. If I love, love, loved something that was limited edition, I could see myself going 3 pounds, but I only torch a few hours a day and I don't have any one set style or color. So, generally speaking, I have to like something a lot to order a pound. I have lots of quarter pounds of different odd colors because I like to try them before really investing in a lot and, honestly, there are a few I've never gotten around to testing.

Old 2012-09-23, 3:39pm

holy necro batman!

LE members enjoy a 10% discount with coupon code "LEmember"
Old 2012-09-24, 6:04pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aretz View Post
It would depend on what I used it for (as someone else mentioned) and also the price per pound, but if I really, really liked it, I'd probably stock up and buy at least ten pounds.
I shop for groceries the same way. I keep track of prices and my coupons. When something goes on a good sale, I buy as much of it as my coupons will allow. I've essentially taken home free groceries on several occasions: Chex Mix, frozen boxed Green Giant veggies in cheese or sauce, those Betty Crocker Warm Delights, Totino's Pizza Rolls...you get the idea.
I live alone and have about 20 cans of tuna, 8 boxes of granola bars, about 20 cans of Progresso soup, boxes of microwave popcorn, several boxes of cereal, etc.

I see no reason why I shouldn't do the same with glass. After all, it has a better shelf life than food.
Right now I'm definitely a beginner (I've only recently caught on to encasing and getting nice round beads with nice holes) so I usually just buy a single rod of something to play with and see if I like it. Later on though, I'll be buying stuff I use while it's on sale and storing it under the futon.
Yeah, I'll probably be a hoarder.
Me too! I voted 2 pounds, but I buy when its on sale. I am not sure that I have ever purchased glass that wasn't on sale except for a sample set of silver glass. And Devardi glass I buy not on sale.

Usually, I buy in q/4 pound lots because I like to buy a wide variety of colors and it depends on what's on sale. But I do buy clear, and ivory in 1 lbs bundles when on sale. I have about 3 lbs of the ivory, and about 4 pounds of copper green both the green and the red.

Old 2012-09-25, 7:44pm
No Longer an LE Member

yea 10 lbs If I love it I definitely need to stock up !
Old 2012-09-26, 11:52am
Ave

Recently totally fell in love with Vetro Odd Lichen Dk.. discovered amazing cool reactions and stuff.. so I went and ordered 4 lbs to go with the 1 lb I already have.. 5 lbs seems to keep my anxiety about running out at bay!! LOL
Ave

Old 2012-09-30, 4:41am
Resident hippie

Tell us about the reactions Ave - I have some Odd lichen - don't know if it's the dark one though...

Have FUN!!!!! It's not about perfection..... Leslie - [not so] Crazy Woman

Old 2012-12-14, 8:10am
SCIENCE Teacher!

5-10 lbs if I use it a lot. I have about 5 pounds of a color that is like catnip to me. It is an old batch of butter that was called "bad" butter for awhile. It's about 13 years old now. It looks like the inside of a ripe mango. I also have 4 pounds (approx) of curdled ivory and wish I had more.
Old 2012-12-14, 5:30pm

10lbs or more for me if I really love it! Special, Odd, or regular....if I love it, I'm buying lots of it! It's the OCD in me.

Old 2013-01-02, 9:27pm
Happy Inner Dragon

I never thought I'd be saying this, but I admit that I recently bought up someone's entire stock of a certain colour to make my leaves for the tourist trade, because there simply is no other glass that does the same job so well.
All told, I'd got over 16 pounds.
I'm still kind of hoping I didn't go just a weency bit overboard

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107