LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-08-22, 1:54am

Default does anybody work outside without ventilation?

Hi, I have a newb question. I've just started lampworking, so during summer I tried to work "in" my garage - half outside, half inside, with my HotHead directed outside. I thought there was enough space for natural ventilation.
But recently I've had a strange cough in the morning, so I'm very worried now, maybe my decision was wrong and overconfident?

Does anybody work outside for quite a long time without any problem?
I do understand the need for proper equipment, but just have no room for work at the country-house.
Thanks!

Last edited by anna-domini; 2012-08-22 at 3:32am.
Old 2012-08-22, 2:15am

I have been wondering the same. I work on a balcony outside
Old 2012-08-22, 5:40am

in fact, I've found a thread about it: http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=220743

but no answer from anybody who's already sitting outside for a while
Old 2012-08-22, 6:31am

I think working half in and half out of your garage should provide sufficient ventilation. However, if you are still concerned, it wouldn't hurt at all to place a fan behind you (aimed at your back) to provide even more ventilation and blow fumes away from your face. Your back should provide enough "shelter" so that the flame is not blown around, while allowing the air to come around your body and help take the fumes away from your face. Same thing for torching on your balcony.

Good luck!

Mimi
Old 2012-08-22, 7:40am

The reasoning behind ventilation is to draw the toxic fumes away from you breathing them in. Having said that, I too think the fan behind you pointed out the door would be an exceptable solution.

And - welcome to the addiction.
-D

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Donna Felkner -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
-
Old 2012-08-22, 7:48am
addicted to dichro

I remember reading that it's not a great thing to do because in order to have enough air movement for fumes not to be an issue your torch flame would have to be blowing around all over the place. The purpose of a ventilation system is to collect and take the fumes away from you. If you are outside and it's a still day the fumes just stay there, and if it's not still depending on the direction of the breeze they are either being blown toward or away from you. So it's a really good idea to work towards setting up an indoor studio with a ventilation system if you plan on continuing to work for a long period of time.

Old 2012-08-22, 11:44am

Thanks to all for your answers! I do work on setting up a proper studio, but only when we return to the city. That's why I wondered if it's safe to work as I did. Will try a fan!

...addicted after only ONCE trying this stinky thing! ))))))
Old 2012-08-24, 5:10pm
Dynamic Duo

Have to admit that we work without a ventilation system. We are on a back 'porch' that is essentially a roof over our heads, facing outward, with the house behind us. There is just some grill work and jasmine vines, no real walls at all. And we have learned to make beads in a dancing flame due to the breeze.

Don't feel especially endangered. Worked 20 years in ceramics mixing chemicals, powders, etc for glazes, which was probably a lot more dangerous.

Old 2012-08-24, 7:21pm

Seems like hardly any studio I've visited even has a ventilation system. I spent two hours in a very nice lampworker's closed studio without even a window open...I learned a lot, and got a huge headache.

I work in my garage, doors open, fan blowing behind me.
Old 2012-08-25, 10:37am
RAH!

I work outside, i have a work bench set up off of a garden wall- so I have a surface infront of me, but nowhere else (and no roof). I only torch when its not raining, or windy, so not very often! I find a hot head better in these conditions because the flame is more 'forceful', and the damp would swiftly kill an oxycon. I've been torching for.. 4 years-ish. So yeh, no real ventilation other than the great outdoors! I do have the necessary fans, but it seems pointless to set them up outside!

(Now with stock! And useful photography!)
Old 2012-08-25, 4:05pm
Melting

I used to work in the doorway of my garage with three box fans blowing (one blowing in, one across, and one out) to provide circulation. My flame would bounce around from the movement. I thought that was sufficient ventilation. After two hours I would get light headed, dizzy, and nauseous; sooner if I worked with glasses containing any metals. Once we built a studio with proper ventilation I only had a reaction like that if I stuck my face up to the torch.

In my opinion, proper ventilation is a must in every situation. You never know what those fumes can be doing to your body, and it's the only one you have.

~
~
~

SRA Member #E20
Old 2012-08-27, 8:32am

Thanks again for more real examples, but...
Problem is that when yesterday I tried to work fully outside AND with a powerful fan behind me, I still had a cough. And has been coughing all morning today.
How can that be possible, if here are people who work this way for years without any problems?
Allergic reaction maybe? (( Has anyone heard of such cases?

A.

P.S. ...feeeling so upset I can't work anymore

Last edited by anna-domini; 2012-08-27 at 10:19am.
Old 2012-08-28, 5:58am

Sometimes an artificial odor is added to the gas as a safety precaution-- perhaps that's what your sensitive to? What kind of gas are you using with the hot head? And have you checked to make sure all the connections are tight and there are no leaks?

Mimi
Old 2012-08-28, 8:41am

Have to jump in as someone picky about safety and say that I wouldn't consider being outside good ventilation. Having a ventilation system with good makeup air helps control both the direction that the fumes go away from you and prevents them from blowing back toward you or pooling around you. If you work with silver, silver glass or enamels very much I would be even more concerned.

With great help from peeps in the safety forum I was able to install a pretty inexpensive ventilation system in my studio.
Old 2012-08-29, 4:51am
Melting

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnoelker View Post
Have to jump in as someone picky about safety and say that I wouldn't consider being outside good ventilation. Having a ventilation system with good makeup air helps control both the direction that the fumes go away from you and prevents them from blowing back toward you or pooling around you. If you work with silver, silver glass or enamels very much I would be even more concerned.

With great help from peeps in the safety forum I was able to install a pretty inexpensive ventilation system in my studio.
Exactly!!

I am actually building this one now:

http://www.southernflames.org/Tips%2...entilation.htm

Only with a few modifications:

1) I am not going through a wall. We moved and now my studio is (again) in my garage and I will not go through a wall, so we are going out the door and down the side. It is semi-portable - we screwed hooks into the wall and used webbing to hold it up above my table, and every time I torch I will take the rest of it and bring it outside. I am going to try to finish setting it up today and will take pictures if anyone is interested.

2) No muffler. The fan is the same thing you have in your bathroom and it will be outside my garage and on the other side of the wall so I am not to concerned about noise. I could always add it later.

3) The hood portion is suspended above my table and the flame will (in theory) shoot into it. I had this set-up in my last studio with a different fan and it worked great.

Total cost is $250. Small price to pay for your health.

~
~
~

SRA Member #E20
Old 2012-08-30, 12:09am
offically down under

For many years I worked in the open garage without ventilation. I made up excuses why I didn't have proper ventilation and, in truth, I was being lazy and cheap. We recently moved and I told DH that I will not work in the garage again without proper ventilation. We went through the various options and then went down to the building supply store and had a chat with the guy in the ventilation department.

The guy asked good questions like, how far do I need to run the vent from where I'm working to outside as this determines what size fan I would need to buy. Since I was only a matter of about 2 feet, he pointed to the fan and said, that I didn't need one this powerful but it was on sale for $20 less than the size I really needed. Plus, the fan is super quiet which is a huge bonus since I think the real reason I didn't have ventilation prior was the noise factor with most of the ventilation that I had experienced.

The fan is the black part in the photo that is screwed down to a board. The silver ducting was sold by the meter and I think I got 4 or 6 meters. 2 adjustable clamps but duct tape also works. Total cost, A$75. I'm sure, in the US, it can be done for less than $50. I'd give these guys a call. http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/ecatalog/N-1z0dufr
Attached Images

Last edited by tammydownunder; 2012-08-30 at 12:14am.
Old 2012-08-30, 12:56am
Resident hippie

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Seems like hardly any studio I've visited even has a ventilation system. I spent two hours in a very nice lampworker's closed studio without even a window open...I learned a lot, and got a huge headache.
The first time I made beads there were six torches - three each side of a long table. No ventilation and I too, felt ill after the day at the torch(es).

I would be careful Anna. It must be lovely to be out in the country making beads, but look after your health first.
BTW (By the way) have you read Anastasia by Vladimir Megre?

Have FUN!!!!! It's not about perfection..... Leslie - [not so] Crazy Woman