No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-10-21, 3:11am
offically down under

Default Blue Sludge and cracking beads.

There is another thread going by Donna T regarding her beads cracking. http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=233359 She figured out that she was having issues with her new Blue Sludge. I just recently got a new tub of blue sludge and had the same problem. Have any of you had this same dilema?
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-10-21, 12:20pm
Gay rights R human rights

YES!

bravo torch with 2 ex20's
Old 2012-10-21, 12:45pm

Mine had some cracks like that but others had cracks circling around and spiderwebbing out. Almost like a shattering. I've changed to Fusion since last week and not one cracked bead. I've spent money on parts that I didn't need for the kiln, electrician had it almost a week checking it out. I splurged on a large container of Blue Sludge this last time so I'd be ready for the holiday season bead making. Now I'm down about 6 weeks worth of beading and out money for a part and another container of release. Very frustrating.

"People can be the wind beneath your wings or the anchor on your boat" John Maxwell
Old 2012-10-21, 1:16pm
beads....mmmm

Oh, bummer, Tammy! Those are so pretty!

I used Fusion. I'm not changing unless I have to. lol

::
Old 2012-10-21, 3:29pm

Interesting. Any thoughts about why bead release would cause cracks? It's not part of the bead, they're being annealed right away... Makes no sense.

I totally believe this is the cause, though. There have been a couple other threads over the years with the same issue and outcome.
Old 2012-10-21, 3:35pm

Tammy was your Blue Sludge extremely thick? I kept adding water to mine everytime I torched. About once a week. I don't think it should have gotten thick that fast. The Fusion seems extremely thin in comparison.

I wonder does the bead release expand while in the kiln? Expand as it's cooling? I don't know but I'm convinced it's the release causing the problem.

"People can be the wind beneath your wings or the anchor on your boat" John Maxwell
Old 2012-10-21, 4:55pm
offically down under

The bead release was so thick that I had to add water immediately as I could barely shift it. Once I got the consistency better, I found that I had real problems with it flaking and spitting onto my beads. Even the round beads that barely had any friction in the bead roller, would break off.

I noticed whilst I was cleaning them that I had lots of problems with the beads chipping at the holes. Very frustrating indeed. I would have never thought of the bead release as the problem until Donna figured it out.
Attached Images

Old 2012-10-21, 6:07pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggybubba View Post
YES!
So this was your problem all along? How extremely frustrating for all of you.

Old 2012-10-21, 6:15pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

It's a bit bizarre.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2012-10-21, 7:47pm
All Zeke, all the time

so after reading this I would love input. I am getting ready to buy my first tub of bead release. I was considering Blue Sludge. Not now... What would be a good release for a newbie?
Old 2012-10-21, 7:50pm

Fusion or Foster Fire
Old 2012-10-21, 8:24pm
<---RamboPatootieSuperbun

Interesting. I always used Sludge and Blue Sludge mixed together. I didn't have trouble with large beads, but almost every single small round I made had those compound cracks around the holes. I made about 80 beads for the tiny bead exchange and only 10 or so did not crack. I used several different clears to encase and it did not make a difference. The beads were so small I knew they weren't thermal cracks, and it drove me pretty crazy trying to figure it out. I stopped making smaller beads finally. Now I'm wondering if it was the bead release I had used. Seems like I had just started using a new bottle and I never had this happen before. I still have it actually, I'll try to test the theory when I get a chance.

Old 2012-10-21, 8:34pm
Lampworkaholic!

Have you contacted Arrow Springs? I'm sure the Millirons would want to know and would exchange the bead release or refund your money, and also test the Blue Sludge to see what the problem is before selling more of it.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2012-10-21, 8:40pm
offically down under

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Beads View Post
Have you contacted Arrow Springs? I'm sure the Millirons would want to know and would exchange the bead release or refund your money, and also test the Blue Sludge to see what the problem is before selling more of it.
I sent them an email this morning but we live in the future and it's still Sunday in the USA.

Old 2012-10-22, 4:59am
Nerwbie Glass Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammydownunder View Post
I sent them an email this morning but we live in the future and it's still Sunday in the USA.

Most people think of Australia as backward, not forward .

ETA - I hope you get it sorted, how very frustrating, I'm happy to stick to my Foster Fire.

Old 2012-10-23, 10:58am
burnin' glass just becuz

weird... i use Blue Sludge all the time for small and large (huge!) beads and never have an issue with cracks - thermal or otherwise.

I do notice that this particular bead release seems to hold a lot of moisture but doesn't like to be preheated a whole lot. Maybe that could be the issue? I find i need to lightly preheat the mandrel, add a thin wrap of glass to the length of my planned bead and then cook the glass to molten to get all the moisture bubbles (steam, i guess?) out. Once i do that then i just go on and build the rest of the bead. It's the only release i've had to do that with but also the only one i've had success with so far that holds til the very end when working 2+hrs on a massive sculptural bead.

ETA: my bottle is from 2011 so maybe there are batch issues?

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland

Last edited by ewdb; 2012-10-23 at 11:01am.
Old 2012-10-23, 7:47pm
Dynamic Duo

We got a small jar of this, and have yet to make a successful bead using it. Either it starts creating huge bubbles in the beads after you have already been working on it for 20 minutes, or it starts getting weird on the end of the beads. Also find that it is extremely hard to get beads off the mandrels, and they usually have cracks around the ends and like the ones shown above, down the length of the mandrel. Have decided never to use it again.

Old 2012-10-24, 12:32am
offically down under

Made a whole kiln full of beads using a mixture of different bead releases yesterday and every bead came out fine. Looking forward to seeing what comes out tomorrow and then, maybe I'll be ready to try the purple beads again.

Old 2013-08-19, 9:26am
Glass-aholic

So was this issue with the dip n go blue sludge or the sludge plus blue stuff??

I need to order a large quantity of this stuff and soon.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2013-08-19, 3:05pm
one day at a time

Next time you torch, try this:

Dip a few mandrels in the consistency you have been using when you noticed these cracks. Let dry, don't make a bead on them, and stick them in the kiln for an hour or so while you are working. Get tongs, pliers, or whatever you have to take one out and look at it. Did it expand? Get bubbly, lumpy, or flaky? Leave that one out and then examine the rest of the dipped mandrels after they have cooled to room temp. You should have your answer as to whether it could be the bead release or not.
Old 2013-08-19, 5:31pm
SCIENCE Teacher!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisi View Post
Next time you torch, try this:

Dip a few mandrels in the consistency you have been using when you noticed these cracks. Let dry, don't make a bead on them, and stick them in the kiln for an hour or so while you are working. Get tongs, pliers, or whatever you have to take one out and look at it. Did it expand? Get bubbly, lumpy, or flaky? Leave that one out and then examine the rest of the dipped mandrels after they have cooled to room temp. You should have your answer as to whether it could be the bead release or not.
Actually, that probably won't answer her question. Bead release does expand and contract but it's not usually enough that the human eye can see it. It wouldn't take much for it to be past where the bead crack and still not be visible.
Old 2013-08-19, 10:00pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by FosterFire View Post
Actually, that probably won't answer her question. Bead release does expand and contract but it's not usually enough that the human eye can see it. It wouldn't take much for it to be past where the bead crack and still not be visible.
If it this batch of Blue Sludge does expand enough to where it is actually is visible to the human eye, then maybe it is the problem. If it is not changing (expanding visibly) in the heat of the kiln, then it could be the glass combination or the annealing temps. Somehow I don't think that is the issue with their beads.

I had never heard of bead release causing cracks so I thought that maybe this is a really fudged up batch with some ingredients that should not be in there. It is possible, right? More than just a couple of people are seeing the problem.