LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2008-10-03, 9:26am

Default Tutorial: fabric rod carrier

Directions to make this:

And how you would use it: this is one I made for myself...

What you will need:
1) Outside fabric (I used black)
2) Inside fabric (I used white- whatever color YOU choose, keep in mind
your rods will show against this fabric)
3) warm & natural quilt batting OR piece of an old blanket (not wool as
wool will shrink if you put your carrier in the dryer after washing it)
4) inside flap and "pouch" fabric (I used white for the flap and flames for
the pouch)
5) ties- can either make one or get a long pair of shoe strings & cut the '
plastic ends of one end

Step 1
Cut identical size pieces for outside, inside and batting

Cut a 12&1/2 inch strip (pouch) as long as your carrier will be. Fold it in half lengthwise and iron it. (Ironed seam will be the top side of pouch.) Set this piece aside for now.

Cut 1 piece of flap fabric about 10 inches wide and about 3 inches shorter than your carrier will be. (You want it shorter so your ends don't get caught in your corners when you sew the front to the back.) Fold your fabric right side to right side lengthwise and sew around 3 edges- short side first... around long side and back down other short side. NOTE: I round the corners and trim off the extra when done sewing this seam. Round corners are SOooo much easier than square ones. When done sewing and trimming corners, turn it right side out. Iron it and sew around it about 1/4 inch from the edge. Your flap is done. Set it aside for now.

This is what you should have now:

All your pieces are ready. Put your outside (black in my case) fabric away for now. We are going to work with 3 pieces... bottom piece is your batting. Then put the inside fabric on top of it with the right side facing up. Now lay your pouch over the bottom of the fabric. Sew one seam down the right side about 1/4" from the edge to hold the 3 pieces together.

Mark your rod pouch pocket widths- I marked 1 & 1/2 inches using a fabric mark-be-gone fabric pen that will wash out. Sew your pocket lines.

See the neat row of marks you have to guide you in sewing your pockets?

As your fabric starts to get bulky on the right side of where you are sewing, fold up the fabric to make it easier.... next photo

Ok, your pockets are sewn. Can you see all the lines? These are what your rods will slide into when you get ready to travel. Again, choose your width. These ones are 1 & 1/2".

(NOTE: Because I'm not case specific to measurements, I find that I wind up having to trim at different times. Once these pocket widths were sewn, I turned my project over and notice I was no longer even... so I got out my quilting ruler & rotary cutter and evened the edges up. You may find you want to do that too.)

Continued.... EDITED TO ADD: POST #27 IN THIS THREAD CONTAINS DETAILS ON HOW TO MAKE THE "TIE." Sue
and the present is a gift.

Last edited by Sue in Maine; 2008-11-13 at 2:15pm.
Old 2008-10-03, 9:28am
On the flippity flop

Nice tut so far, but where is the link to buy!

Jayne: "I'll kill a man in a fair fight. Or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight. Or if he bothers me. Or if there's a woman. Or if I'm gettin' paid. Mostly when I'm gettin' paid." -- Serenity
Old 2008-10-03, 9:37am

Now that your rod pockets have been sewn, it is time to assemble. Place the top flap at the top of your bundle.

Now place the top fabric (Black in my case) OVER the whole thing with the RIGHT side of your top fabric facing the assembled portion of your project.

I usually put some quilting pins (regular will work fine too) in to keep it all from shifting as I'm usually arm wrestling fabric at this point.

Time to sew the front to the back: Start at the short side of the left side of your carrier and, about 1/4 of the way from the top, sew about 1/4" in from the edge all the way around your bundle UNTIL you come back to your original side. NOTE: Again, I sew round corners... and trim the "square" edge off the corner after I am done sewing. DO NOT SEW THIS WHOLE THING CLOSED. When you get to your 4th side, leave an opening large enough that you can reach inside and pull your whole thing inside out.

See the size of the opening I have left? You will be reaching inside this opening to pull your carrier right side out. DO NOT make this too small!!!!!!

Trim your corners:

Time to pull the whole thing right side out....

CONTINUED..........
Old 2008-10-03, 9:38am
Cake for me too please

Thanks for sharing. I am going to ask my mom to make me one for christmas. = )
Old 2008-10-03, 9:41am

pulling it thru...

ok, it's right side out. Time to sew all the way around about 1/4" from the edge starting with that same short side to the left of the carrier. Stop when you get back to your starting side because now you have to sew your raw open edges closed AND catch your TIES in this last seam.

OK, messy spot here. This is that fourth side where you are going to have to close the part you left open to pull your project thru. Just go slow. You are tucking in raw edges and catching your ties in the seam.

See how smooth it looks after I've tucked the raw edges in? This is great! You are ready to just sew over it, being sure NOT to forget to place your ties in the seam.

That's it.... your rod carrier is done. You can also make tool carriers by sewing your pockets wider... can make boro carriers by making it taller.... OR frit holders by just sewing lines of elastic across with little pocket seams.

NOTE: THERE IS NO CHARGE FOR THIS TUTORIAL. LE HAS BEEN SUCH A GENEROUS AND GIVING FORUM THAT THIS IS MY GIFT TO ALL OF US. MAKE'EM.. SELL'EM... I DON'T CARE. THIS IS YOURS TO DO WITH AS YOU SEE FIT.

All the best,

Sue

Last edited by Sue in Maine; 2008-10-03 at 10:00am.
Old 2008-10-03, 9:56am
Sparkle Strumpet

Hey, Sue, I have all these good sewing intentions....I've owned my "new" sewing machine five years....used it twice.

SO....you selling the carriers? Can I buy one? Please?

Kindle Edition by Laurie Byrne-Smith
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-10-03, 9:58am
Knob Creek Glass

Me Too!
Old 2008-10-03, 10:33am
On the flippity flop

I want to buy one already made as well. I never have time to sew anymore.

Jayne: "I'll kill a man in a fair fight. Or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight. Or if he bothers me. Or if there's a woman. Or if I'm gettin' paid. Mostly when I'm gettin' paid." -- Serenity
Old 2008-10-03, 10:40am
Who me?

Sooooo freaking cool! Thanks for the time and effort it took to share.
Old 2008-10-03, 10:43am
Senior Moment

Sue, you are a doll!!! Thank you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-10-03, 10:48am
SSDD... go ahead, ask me!

Thank you so much! I'm going to give it a try and if all works out, I'll have some to share. I just bought alot of fabric - flowers and plaid (garage sale here!) so I'll start with that.
Old 2008-10-03, 10:51am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

LOL - sounds like Sue needs to make some and sell them!

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-10-03, 10:54am
Gay rights R human rights

I have flame fabric....I know I do....somewhere. Thank you so much for doing this.

bravo torch with 2 ex20's
Old 2008-10-03, 11:06am

You guys are killing me! I never had any intentions of making and selling these carriers. I wouldn't even know how much to ask for a price. Suggestions?

The famous Mrs. Fields of chocolate chip cookie fame has a saying: "Good enough never is." When it comes to my sewing skills, "Good enough is as good as it gets!" I don't really think my sewing skills are of a good enough quality that I should sell these carriers.

Don't you guys have someone in your families who can make you one?

Oh, forgot to mention-- I used black denim and the white was a twill. I think heavier duty fabrics are in order for this project cuz glass ends can be sharp.

Sue

Last edited by Sue in Maine; 2008-10-03 at 12:20pm.
Old 2008-10-03, 2:00pm
Maria B @ Indone6ix

Thank you for sharing, Sue! I tried all craft and sewing is my weakness.
I will ask my mom to make it for me someday.

Old 2008-10-03, 2:11pm
BrakerBeads

I am a doofas!

I need a photo of it in use or something. Are you sliding in the rods, then covering the rods with the flap? Rolling it up like a burrito? Where did the embroidered flame on the flappy thing come from?

I love love the fabric choices. Very cool. Sue...you are talented! ~NancyB

Because Beads are Necessary for Life Force!

Old 2008-10-03, 2:33pm

For Nancy B!!!

Here is the thread where I posted a picture of the two I made for me- one for rods and one for tools. Only problem is I made them out of cotton I had on hand. The ones here are of heavier duty fabrics, which I think is smarter given the sharpness of some rods I've seen!

http://lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105400

And here is one I made for Pipyr for her birthday. She works with boro so her rods are longer....

http://lampworketc.com/forums/showth...birthday+pipyr

Sue

Last edited by Sue in Maine; 2008-10-03 at 2:55pm.
Old 2008-10-03, 3:57pm

This really makes me want to sew! Thank you for sharing this, that was very generous of you!!
Old 2008-10-03, 5:17pm
PyronamixK

Thank you, Sue.
Old 2008-10-03, 5:40pm

Great tutorial, but do think if you like making them, you should sell them too!
Old 2008-10-03, 5:45pm

TY Sue, you're awesome to share with everyone I can't sew, but you do make it look easy. Maybe....hmmm. LOL

Old 2008-10-03, 5:47pm

You Rock Sue! Now I have to get my sewing machine back from MIL. I have large denim remnants somewhere that I could use also. Thank you very much!

My Facebook
Old 2008-10-03, 6:08pm

Okay, Sue, you talked me into this one - I am going to have to try it. Where did you find the flame embroidery pattern?
Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Lori
Old 2008-10-03, 6:23pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue in Maine View Post
.. When it comes to my sewing skills, "Good enough is as good as it gets!" I don't really think my sewing skills are of a good enough quality that I should sell these carriers......
Sue
As someone who has seen these in person, they ROCK! Sue, your sewing skills are fabulous and you should make some to sell... Those who can sew will make their own given your generous tutorial...others would love to have your skilled hands make them!
Make some!

Last edited by abeadgal; 2008-10-03 at 6:25pm. Reason: spelling
Old 2008-10-03, 9:48pm
BrakerBeads

Thanks Sue! I get it now! I love it! I don't have a fancy embroidery machine.....so mine would not be as pretty.

What a nice thing to show all of us! ~NancyB

Because Beads are Necessary for Life Force!

Old 2008-10-04, 4:17am

Lori,

If I am remembering correctly, I found the flame embroidery motiff at embroiderydesigns.com, although the note taped to my computer terminal says: free embroidery stuff.embroiderydesigns.com I think the "free embroidery stuff" sounds like a note to myself but you never can tell with me. I think I did a search for "flames" and this is one that came up. I'm on a Janome 350E for an embroidery machine.

I found the flame fabric at JoAnn's Fabric about a month ago. It wouldn't surprise me if they still have some. In fact, I'm stopping there today. Guess I'll buy some more denim and twill.... and warm & natural.

I will make a few and figure out the cost of materials. I will post a picture or two to see if anyone wants the ones I make BUT denim & twill are not cheap... I don't think there is a market for what these would have to be pirced at and I wouldn't gouge anyone. This is not something I want as a money maker in my life. It will be a week or better before I'll have time to do them. And I warn you all now, I'm not a teck gal so pay pal won't be an option... a plain old money order and stamp on an envelope work for me!

Kristi--- STOP HELPING!!!!!!! roflmao.

Sue

Last edited by Sue in Maine; 2008-10-04 at 4:21am.
Old 2008-10-04, 4:51am

And now to add more pictures. I knew something was nagging at me. When I tranferred the pictures to my own internal "Sues pictures are in here" file that Lyn made for me so I could find where I put my pictures, I deleted some of what I thought were ones already in there.... easier to rename the ones I move over but I also deleted part of the tutorial pictures when I tried to do that. Make sense? No? Welcome to my computer dinosaur world.

Anyway, here are the steps on how to sew the tie. Cut your strip about 2 & 1/2 inches wide. Fold back (WRONG side to WRONG side) about an inch of fabric and iron it down. Now turn the whole thing over and with the right side of the fabric facing itself, iron the whole strip. Then sew about 1/4" down your tie. You have to turn the whole thing inside out when your're done so pin a pin thru one edge of a sewn end. Push your pin into the tube and inch it along. It will pull the fabric behind it and you will be turning the whole thing inside out so your right sides of the fabric will then be your outside. Iron the strip when you're done and put it aside until you are ready to sew it in that very last seam.

OR you could just buy a long pair of shoestrings and cut the plastic end of each end and sew them into that final seam! Nice shortcut. Think about it! lol

Sue

Last edited by Sue in Maine; 2008-10-04 at 5:03am.
Old 2008-10-05, 6:09am
Calendar Girl

Default Rod holder Shortcuts

Here is a link to a Carol Duvall project where she makes a knitting needle carrier out of placemats. Looks similar to what you've made.

http://www.hgtv.com/crafting/knittin...eas/index.html

I also use a canvas paintbrush holder like this that I got for $5 (with coupon) to hold tools. It comes with a whole bunch of cheapo cheapo brushes that I gave to my boys.

Old 2010-12-31, 2:28pm

OK, we closed at 1:00 today. I haven't torched at home for a while so I thought I'd play with my rods. My boro rods were a mess in my long fabric rod carrier so after I sorted them out, I thought.... hmmmm..... (Yep, that was a dangerous thought!)

I have 2 quilt squares that didn't fit in my project and a couple of strips... I wonder... and sure enough, I whipped up a "Boro Short Rod Fabric Carrier." There is no batting inside, which I would NOT do a larger one without, but what the heck. These are boro.. boro is tough... what will happen if....

Love me- love my shorts!

It is sitting on top of a 12 & 1/2 inch by 12 & 1/2 inch quilt square. Tried to give you an idea of dimensions.

Here it is:

Do I have too much time on my hands or what? I think it's cute!

Sue
Old 2010-12-31, 6:23pm

And a second one, also for shorts, but this one does have a layer of Warm & Natural quilt batting inside.

Sue