No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-04-02, 2:48pm
Sorry for party rockin'

Default Flat beaded kumihimo

So, my latest obsession is making beaded kumihimo ropes.
I've always done the round ones on a round disk, but today I picked up a square kumihimo disk at a local bead store.

Has anyone done beaded kumihimo on a square disk? It makes a flat rope instead of a round one, so I'm wondering how/if it'll work with beads.

If you have any tips or anything you've learned making a beaded flat rope, I'd appreciate it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-04-02, 3:39pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Oh no - that sounds awesome. I can't wait to see one.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2011-04-02, 3:46pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Oh man, I do not need another fiber obsession.

You have to post picks of some of your work Ginny!

Old 2011-04-02, 5:04pm

Default beaded kumihimo

Ginny, my wife has been doing some beaded kumi. I don't know how to post pictures but if you send me your email address, I will send you her photos to see if this is what you would like to do. She uses a square marudai,

Carl
Old 2011-04-02, 6:06pm

Ginny - I'd love to see whatever you get if Carl's wife will allow you to share. I've been doing the beaded on a round as well for a few years and have tried the new shapes (#6) but would love to expand to something new like flat ropes. I suspect it will work. Have you done 8 strands only? That's all I've done but I understand that with 16 you get some differences in shape. I do love Kumihimo, I confess....

PEACE ON EARTH
Old 2011-04-02, 9:01pm
Sorry for party rockin'

Thank you for your responses everyone

I'll shoot Carl an email to get pictures of what his wife makes!

I'll also experiment with my square kumihimo disk to see how it works with beads.

With my round disk I've woven ropes with 8/0 and 6/0 seed beads, plus ropes with czech pressed lentils. Different sizes beads produce different sized (thickness) ropes. It's so much fun!!!!

Old 2011-04-02, 9:06pm
Sorry for party rockin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by azhoms View Post
Ginny, my wife has been doing some beaded kumi. I don't know how to post pictures but if you send me your email address, I will send you her photos to see if this is what you would like to do. She uses a square marudai,

Carl

I sent you a PM, Carl

Old 2011-04-02, 9:14pm
Valparaíso - Chile

Ginny, here is a video for Kumihimo square. Well, it's the same technique to the square.
I did and it turned out!!!!!
Luck!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV8jS4HklU4

@cristallo_perle
Old 2011-04-02, 9:24pm
Valparaíso - Chile

More pattern here:
http://www.forofantasiasmiguel.com/t...496152&mpage=1

@cristallo_perle
Old 2011-04-03, 10:29am
Valparaíso - Chile

pattern
Attached Images

@cristallo_perle
Old 2011-04-03, 1:52pm
Sorry for party rockin'

Thank you for the links Calypso!!
All of those patterns look great

I got an email with some pictures from Carl but I want to make sure he's OK with me posting pictures in this thread of his wife's jewelry. Her beaded kumihimo necklaces are beautiful!!

I'm going to play around with this today, maybe make a couple of short sample ropes just to see the difference in using 8 strands or 10 strands.

Old 2011-04-04, 7:46am
Normal is Boring!!

pictures....dying to see!

~
~

Antique Brass Findings

Old 2011-04-04, 7:47am
Hobby Junkie

Me too!

Old 2011-04-04, 8:08am
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

So, when do you add the beads? Do you have to add them each time you make a weave or do you weave strings of seed beads? I'm trying to picture it in my mind. I've done kumihimo but without the seed beads.

Vivian

-

Old 2011-04-04, 10:10am
Sorry for party rockin'

Here are the pictures Mary Ann (Carl's wife) sent to me. They look really nice!!!

My attempt was a complete failure, so I have nothing to show
I was trying to do a flat rope weave on the square kumihimo plate with beads - but - I couldn't get my beads to "tuck" properly so that the rope would look beaded. They all wound up on the inside or too loose.

When you do round beaded kumihimo it's pretty easy to tuck each bead behind a string to keep it in place, but it seemed like the flat weaves didn't give me the opportunity to make sure the beads stayed in their place. Does that make sense?

Old 2011-04-04, 10:12am
Sorry for party rockin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivianLampwork View Post
So, when do you add the beads? Do you have to add them each time you make a weave or do you weave strings of seed beads? I'm trying to picture it in my mind. I've done kumihimo but without the seed beads.

Every time you move your string, you slide a bead down, make sure it's tucked behind the string next to it and then move your next string, slide a bead down, etc.

JSavina's beaded kumihimo tutorial is really good, this is what I used to learn from:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/61045179...facet=handmade

Old 2011-04-04, 10:58am

My son just bought me the square one also.....haven't tried it yet
Hope someone will do a quick tutorial using the square and beads
I have made lots of the round with beads, I love doing them, you don't have to concentrate too much and is super easy to pick up and put down, and take along.

granny
Old 2011-04-04, 12:58pm
Valparaíso - Chile

Here is a video tutorial of Kumihimo Square:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1sJt41Fj_g

@cristallo_perle
Old 2011-04-04, 1:12pm
Valparaíso - Chile

kumihimo braiding with beads:
http://www.ratedesi.com/video/v/0TGz...ing-with-Beads

@cristallo_perle
Old 2011-04-04, 2:50pm

Those pieces by Mary Ann look great. Glad that you were able to get pics and post them, too. Great having more information, of course, as has been given. Thanks.

Yvonne
Old 2011-05-01, 11:29am
too many rods in the fire

Oh, I am soooo glad I found this thread!! And thanks Ginny, for posting the link to the tut - I just bought it.

I was just saying a couple days ago that I wanted to learn to incorporate beads into my kumihimo pieces and now I will be able to! Yippee!

I would still love to see more pictures of what everyone has done with the beaded kumihimo ropes.

Old 2011-05-01, 2:36pm
Formerly NurseKatie :)

Awesome! Thanks Ginny, This is something that I will no doubt pick up as a hobby when I can't torch!
Old 2011-05-01, 3:54pm
Valparaíso - Chile

Beautiful necklaces of Mary Ann!!!! Show us your jewels Kumihimo!!!
This is my first Kumihimo!!!!
Ana María
Attached Images

@cristallo_perle
Old 2011-05-02, 8:54am
I'm kinda biz-EE

That's a gorgeous piece Ana!

Old 2011-05-02, 10:08am
They see me rollin'...

I agree--I love it!!

-Patti
Old 2011-05-02, 5:32pm
Valparaíso - Chile

Thank Astrid and Magicfire!!!
Ana María

@cristallo_perle