Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2009-12-18, 11:47am
Dangerous Woman

Default Another pendant question

Whether you are doing an implosion or frit or whatever type of design you put an opaque color on the pack of the pendant. How do you apply this glass? I'm having a bit of an issue keeping it neat and a consistant layer. I tend to get a thicker layer on one side or the other. Any tips on the background layer will ne greatly appreciated.

Lastly how do you decide what glass to use for the loop? Do you just use the same glass that you used for the background? Clear? Or what?

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2009-12-18, 1:08pm
boro color bender

Jet Black or Onyx fine frit...

I never use clear... or hardly ever... i drill with tungsten and if it leaves anything in the hole, I don't wanna see it. Generally i use a color that matches the piece...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2009-12-18, 1:13pm

I make a maria out of the backing glass making sure it is a little smaller then the back of the pendant. I then get the maria hot and center it onto the back of the pendant. Then reheat and gently press. you should be able to spread it out a little more to keep it from being thick. This seems to work really well for me. Hope it helps you out. I usually use clear or the backing color for my loop but I think that is just a preference thing

Glenda
Old 2009-12-18, 1:18pm
The Battle of Boro Boro

Ditto on the Jet or Onyx.

I have a flat graphite plate that I place an even layer of fine frit on and press the pendant straight down onto. The key for even coating is ensuring you have a even heat base on the back of your pendant before the pick up...also, do multiple pickups with light even pressure.

Old 2009-12-18, 7:13pm
Marbles, dude, Marbles

Here's how. You made your design and now your pendant is still centered to the rod that you made it on. Take a black or cobalt (or whatever) rod about 7mm thick and heat up the end until you get a little gather (a ball). Now touch that real hot gather to the center of the maria. Keep your flame pretty much concentrated on where the rod meets the gather and slowly and gently push the rod into the gather, making the gather bigger and bigger. When you think you got enough glass in the gather burn off the rod and start melting the gather flat. Just use heat and a marver paddle to slowly spread the gather around the maria.
Voila! You got your pendant backed, evenly, with no lines or bubbles, and as thick or thin as you want.

Life is still good, but the 'recession' sucks.

Old 2009-12-18, 7:23pm
ManBearPig

I put a little gather of color on the back of the pendant. About 1/3 to 1/2 the size of the pendant itself. Focus your flame on the color itself and get it nice and hot. When it's hot, flatten it on your marver. That will make the color spread out and cover the entire back of the pendant.

Old 2009-12-18, 8:44pm
Dangerous Woman

GM and Chad that is pretty much what I'm doing - just like you taught me to! I guess I need more PPP because mine are not coming out evenly.

I never would have thought of frit! I think I just may give that shot. But I do still want be able to do it well the way Chad explained.

As for the loops I usually use what ever I use for the background. But I'm still using up bunches of unlabled shorts. Most seem to be a dark blue that looks black.

Old 2009-12-21, 7:12am
Pyromaniac

I'm a fan of frit backing as well... Both methods work real well, but the fine frit method is a bit more forgiving IMO and gives a more detailed, interesting appearance if you dip lightly in a contrasting color once your backing is done. (Maybe a dusting of Blue Moon or Butterscotch).

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2009-12-28, 8:50am
Dangerous Woman

I gave the frit background a go. The only dark fine frit I have is blue moon. It sure gives you a different looking background - very cool! Thanks for the idea guys!