Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2006-11-19, 4:52am
Formerly Fireflyartglass

Default how many rods of boro to a pound?

i am just thinking of doing a big order with arrow springs because if I use the slow mail (4-6 weeks) to Australia I can order about 10 pounds and get it posted for about $25 which is fab. I will make sure I order lots of pounds of effetre but I am trying to work out how many say for eg NS rods is there to a pound on average? Just I will order a 1/4lb of lots of colours so I want to know how many I will get.
Thanks for your help.

And is there anywhere you would recommend other than Arrow springs that sells both moretti and NS and GA that will give me bulk discounts?
I have never ordered from them before are they reliable?
thanks for your help.
Leanne
Old 2006-11-19, 6:56am

Hey I know Glasscraft sells all that and offers 30% off glass with a $60 per year membership fee. If you are ordering a lot its a huge savings. I know they have quantity discounts too. I think about 1/4 lb gets appox 2 1/2 rods.
Old 2006-11-19, 7:31am
Nah, not really...;)

It depends on the size of the rods in diameter as to how many per pound, 10-14 is my guess.

I mostly buy from Mountain Glass Arts. www.mountainglassarts.com

Great packaging (they don't overcharge for S&H), professional, discounts, etc....great guys all around. They work glass and they know glass!
They also sell colors by the rod, not the weight! Which was great when I first started working Boro.

BTW: I am biased.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-11-19, 1:19pm
Skeptical Optimist

Talking

I usually buy a half pound at a time and get 6 rods of boro mostly, so I'd say 11-12 rods/lb. I get most of my supplies from Glasscraft, since they have been around for thirty years and have great prices. I like getting 30% off ALL color rods, soft and hard alike, including Precision, Momkas, and New Color Company. Plus you get 5-15% off tools and 10% off Pyrex, it really adds up. Good luck!

Patrice & Paul, Running a Mirage and Barracuda on a Pro-8.
Old 2006-11-19, 7:29pm

Yep I buy from Glasscraft as well. I happen to live close enough that I can drive down and pick out my glass in person. They are very helpful if you want to call and talk to a real person too!

Old 2006-11-19, 8:27pm
Missing presumed fed

If you're asking if Arrow Springs is reliable, yes. They're great people. I do a lot of my ordering from them (I'm mostly a soft glass person), and I live on the other side of the US from them.
Old 2006-11-19, 9:43pm
ManBearPig

It's usually 12 rods to a pound. But that can vary depending on the brand. A lot of times when we get Precision color in, they are shorter rods. Sometimes there are 14-15 rods to a pound of Precision.

Old 2006-11-19, 10:20pm
Skeptical Optimist

Dawn you are SOOOO lucky!!!

Patrice & Paul, Running a Mirage and Barracuda on a Pro-8.