Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Classes, Retreats, Get togethers, Etc.

Classes, Retreats, Get togethers, Etc. -- Upcoming classes, retreats, special events, Get togethers. Please delete your thread when the event is over.

Old 2008-01-27, 9:34am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb View Post
Lisa, try to make it. You will have so much fun!
I'm going to try......I need to start doing more
Old 2008-01-27, 9:35am
Crispy Critter

OOH, yes, chainmaille, please!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-01-27, 10:29am
Superkitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondewants2bead View Post
I'm going to try......I need to start doing more
Yay!
Old 2008-01-27, 10:30am
Superkitty

Deb, I'd love to learn how to do chainmaille!
Old 2008-01-27, 12:50pm

Default cabin retreat

Hi Guys!

Where do I get a copy of the rules to sign and include with my check? I would love to do chainmaille.

Lisa Elliott

Last edited by lisaelliott1352; 2008-01-27 at 12:55pm. Reason: forot to add a post
Old 2008-01-27, 3:18pm
Covered in glitter

I'll be happy to do a couple of chainmaille classes. Those can have a few more people in them than PMC can. I would do PMC too but would have to limit the size of the group. I did one at the Missouri Retreat last year for 17 or 18 people and it was chaos.

I need a copy of the rules too!

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2008-01-27, 4:50pm

Hi guys! Wow, you've been busy while I was gone. I'm working on the rules. It's been a very busy weekend. I should have it ready tomorrow. I'll post it in the Cabin Retreat Yahoo group when it's done. If you're not on the Yahoo group yet, let me know and I'll send you an invitation.

There's always quite a few people interested in chainmaille Deb, so that would be great. Don't expect me to do it though... I've tried it every year and only finished one! Drives me NUTS! PMC would be great too. That's a workshop I've always wanted to offer. We'll figure out the logistics so you're not swamped. We may have someone else coming who could teach it as well. Let's see what happens!

More later...

Old 2008-01-27, 4:56pm
Covered in glitter

Sounds great Nancy! Just let me know. I need to be in the yahoo group too.

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2008-01-27, 6:06pm

PM me your e-mail address if you need a Yahoo group invitation...

Old 2008-01-27, 7:14pm
Covered in glitter

coyote AT coyotemountaingrove DOT com

Old 2008-01-27, 7:41pm
Loook eeentooo my eyyees

pm'ed ya!

-
-

Old 2008-01-28, 9:08am

Ok, I'd like to learn more. I was unable to go to the gathering last year because I am saving money to take my son on a vacation this year (something we've never done, and he graduates this year). I'm in Kalamazoo, so this would be a do-able trip.

I have a hard, hard, hard time being social, but this sounds like it would be fun. I do chainmaille and would love to learn more. I also do kumihimo on a wooden marudai, if anyone would like to play with that. So what all kind of stuff do you do during the retreat?

thanks-
Ana
Old 2008-01-28, 1:17pm
I poop flowers.

Aww, man, this all sounds like so much damn FUN!!!

off to look at a map of Michigan...

Velvet

"There is nothing better than a friend, unless it is a friend with chocolate." ---Charles Dickens
Old 2008-01-28, 6:20pm
Superkitty

Ana, everyone is so friendly. I think you'd feel comfortable, even if socializing is difficult for you. I hope you can make it.
Kahlamodie, it really is that fun! Hope you can make it, too!
Old 2008-01-28, 6:43pm

When should we start our "wish lists" of things to do and learn? We'll also need time if there are any bulk buys to organize.

I have extra pliers, lots of samples & instructions for chainmaille and would be happy to be a teaching assistant (since I have some kind of mental block to calculate AR, I'll leave it to the experts).

I've volunteered to do the t-shirts/sweatshirts/posters/etc. again this year and will need a HIGH resolution photo of ONE of your beads to include, along with how you'd like your name to be listed. I'll put them up through Cafe Press for you to purchase at cost. We can send in a combined order and save shipping charges and maybe get a "volume" price. Anybody want to volunteer to handle the payment/ordering part of the t-shirts?
Old 2008-01-28, 7:08pm
Covered in glitter

Hey Robin, if you've taught chainmaille there before go ahead! I didn't mean to step on any toes. (I know you didn't say I did but I just want to apologize just in case.) I can do AR--kind of. My idea is usually to just try it and if it works and looks good the AR is right. LOL I can do a short 'thang' about it for you if you want though.

I am really looking forward to coming to this and meeting you all. I know of at least one Chicago person who's coming with me and maybe more. FUN!!!

Old 2008-01-28, 7:24pm

Hey Lori, Here's a funny story about shard blowing............
Maybe you could jump in and help me with this. Then there is well yea that too.
The Boogers will be there!
Hi Nancy

Old 2008-01-28, 7:34pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by debkauz View Post
Hey Robin, if you've taught chainmaille there before go ahead! I didn't mean to step on any toes. (I know you didn't say I did but I just want to apologize just in case.)
Whoa sista! I learned my very first chainmaille there on some oversized aluminum rings a few years ago (which got me hooked on sterling), and I loaned a few of my pliers last time, but never taught -- so my toes aren't even in the picture for stepping on. I was deferring to YOU (or whomever) wants to be "in charge". I'm definitely more of an assistant for chainmaille! I'm a compulsive collector of directions and patterns though and my ring binder o'plenty is at your disposal.
Old 2008-01-28, 8:09pm
Obsessed Blogger

The Boogers get the redrum room.

Ooops. Should I have said that?

::
Old 2008-01-28, 8:11pm
Covered in glitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinj View Post
Whoa sista! I learned my very first chainmaille there on some oversized aluminum rings a few years ago (which got me hooked on sterling), and I loaned a few of my pliers last time, but never taught -- so my toes aren't even in the picture for stepping on. I was deferring to YOU (or whomever) wants to be "in charge". I'm definitely more of an assistant for chainmaille! I'm a compulsive collector of directions and patterns though and my ring binder o'plenty is at your disposal.
LOL OK. I was going to do simple--box, byzantine and european 4 in 1. Sounds like you've got a binder like I do. We can compare notes!

Old 2008-01-28, 9:32pm
Covered in glitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahlamodie View Post
Aww, man, this all sounds like so much damn FUN!!!

off to look at a map of Michigan...
You're not THAT far...

Old 2008-01-28, 9:43pm
Spoiled

Wish Michigan was closer to me.

An amazing Cuda with 2 M15's & propane, a Lynx, and a Tondodama torch.

Old 2008-01-29, 1:17pm

Okay! I finally have the rules written and posted in our Yahoo group in the Files section. Let me know if you have trouble loading it or if you have any questions.

Hi Booger's!! Is Hannah coming again this year?

Old 2008-01-29, 2:02pm
I poop flowers.

I bet I could drive there in 10 hours. Not such a long drive.

Velvet

"There is nothing better than a friend, unless it is a friend with chocolate." ---Charles Dickens
Old 2008-01-29, 3:52pm
Covered in glitter

Yes you should drive there!

Old 2008-01-29, 4:08pm

Hello To Repeat Cabiners and Foundlings!
There are so many tremendous memories of that very special weekend....
Table Nachos, extra large marble globes, the finest of company, internal organ beads, drinking some goop that tasted much like cough syrup and laughing ourselves stupid until 3 in the morning, first driver car rides, flat heads and scavenger hunts and deer swimming and crying every single time I had to leave...

But here is a good story about the woman that requested them. We were torching outside at night. No screens, just a tent top to cover us. Paula was on my right......and if you haven't had the pleasure of meeting her, she has the most glorious hair that you have ever seen. Lori was standing nearby awaiting her turn when they flew in under the tent - a HUGE buzzing cloud of gigantic mayflies who were about the size of hummingbirds - and bombarded us. They landed in Paula's hair and were trapped in the curls. They buzzed into the flames and STILL FLEW AWAY - some flying in circles and for the record - they smelled like chicken...
In the spirit of hard core beadmakers though, no one stopped melting but I recall lots of yelling.
It was then that Lori Greenberg grabbed a long pair of tweezers and yelled something about how she would save us from the onslaught of the giant bugs. We laughed at her.
She then PLUCKED one of the air with the tweezers with the sort of speed that you only witness in action movies.
You go, Grasshopper! (Who yelled that then? I don't remember but how I ever finished that bead without setting my hair on fire is still a mystery...)

I won't mention the night we did definitions.

And if you still need a reason?
How about beads.
And Brenna.
And beads and glass and more beads and great food and a weekend in the most gorgeous log mansion ever built with the finest of people.
There.
Sheryll

Old 2008-01-29, 4:22pm

Have I mentioned how much I love Sheryll lately? Your post made me smile as usual.. I pulled up a picture of that story... except I'm sitting in Paula's spot. Does anyone else have one with Paula in it?

Old 2008-01-30, 9:35am
Obsessed Blogger

Paula doesn't show up in photographs.

Old 2008-01-30, 9:41am

I thought I had a picture of her once, but it was just a giant puff of hair.
Old 2008-01-30, 9:49am
Obsessed Blogger

Here's my highlight of two years ago...the stomach shard. Although, Ms. Booger thinks it looks like the part of a former bull. And yes, the accompanying documentation was IN THE BOOGERS CAR. ???? You'd be amazed at what they travel with.