Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2006-12-29, 12:13pm

Default Boro hearts

I want figure out how to make hearts NOT like Brent's....I want to make them more like the ones I used to paint when I was doing Folk Art (big fat lobes with short centered point). No matter how hard I try, they keep resembling Brent's!! Please don't read this wrong...I absolutely LOVE his hearts!!! I don't want to "copy" him. As hard as I try, that point on the bottom keeps coming out pointed to the side. And if I try to heat and pull down straight, well, did you see my cream colored heart in the Show and Tell? Maybe more of a pinpoint flame might have helped? Helpful hints definitely appreciated!!!
A second question, has anyone premade bails that would connect to both lobes? I think this type of heart would look best hanging straight, rather than tiltled to the side.
Thanks from this newbie,
Kim V

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-12-29, 2:06pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Here's my suggestion to you.
Find a picture of the heart you WANT to make
(watercolor, acrylic, clay - whatever it's made of - doesn't matter).
Post the picture - loud and clear.
Let US make the hearts and we'll see if we can figure it out.
Between the several hundred people that regulary look and
post here, we should be able to figure it out.

Maybe offer a "prize" to whomever comes the closest????

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2006-12-29, 9:51pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim V View Post
I want figure out how to make hearts NOT like Brent's....I want to make them more like the ones I used to paint when I was doing Folk Art (big fat lobes with short centered point). No matter how hard I try, they keep resembling Brent's!! Please don't read this wrong...I absolutely LOVE his hearts!!! I don't want to "copy" him. As hard as I try, that point on the bottom keeps coming out pointed to the side. And if I try to heat and pull down straight, well, did you see my cream colored heart in the Show and Tell? Maybe more of a pinpoint flame might have helped? Helpful hints definitely appreciated!!!
A second question, has anyone premade bails that would connect to both lobes? I think this type of heart would look best hanging straight, rather than tiltled to the side.
Thanks from this newbie,
Kim V
First, concentrate on the lobes and get them perfect. Then, remove your punty from the tip area of the heart, reheat it until it is all evened out, and re-attach your punty to the very center of that area and hold it upside down until it pulls a short point.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2006-12-30, 3:00am
boro color bender

A smaller flame directed at just the tip will do a shorter point. Heat up less glass and make the transition shorter when you stretch it. The lobes can be whatever shape you want... I'll do one like you're asking about and maybe that will help.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-12-30, 4:36am

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, Brent, please do one. Ummm, Eric, get the lobes "perfect"? You do realize I'm still a newbie? Do you know how long this would take me? Like...days Seriously, I'll try your suggestions when I'm out in the studio today.

Great idea Karen! I just spent some time searching for a picture of what I have in my head....couldn't find it exactly, but this one comes close. http://www.tolehouse.com/books/s/authsmim.htm Hmmm, the prize, hmmmm, how about a bead made by me (well, THAT ought to kill this game ) plus some of the glass used to create it?

At the risk of hijacking this thread, Brent, next time the ladies and I are down at Ron's studio (I was part of the group that was there at the end of August) and you happen to call, how about bopping over? We would have loved to have met you! You could have come on the day that we were sharing things with each other. We would have put you on a torch and shared some soft glass things with you! It's my thread and I'll hijack if I want to, hijack if I want to.....

Kim V

Old 2006-12-30, 4:54am
boro color bender

Kim... Ron and I were talking about maybe including a one day class with me as an option on those trips. I'd also love to hang out on share with your friends day.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley