Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-12-13, 8:40pm

Default Tech Question about o2 Generators

So I just bought my 02 Generator and I'm thrilled about it! I work out of my Garage which can get ass cold this time of year. So my question is, do these things have a working temp. to them? should I not be running this thing in my cold Garage?
Old 2013-12-13, 11:50pm
kinda torching....

I've read 40-100F

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-12-13, 11:50pm
kinda torching....

Personally I wouldn't run mine below 55-60f

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-12-14, 6:46am
Angie09

Hey Joe....who did you buy it from? I'm curious cuz I need a second one and am totally confused as to where to buy it and not get hosed.
Old 2013-12-14, 8:25am
Flaming my life away

Just wanted to chime in here. I recently bought an M15 from Available Oxygen. Very reasonably priced, amazingly quick turnaround from order to delivery, excellent customer service. David, the owner, is great to work with.
Old 2013-12-16, 7:54am

Hey Angie, I bought mine from Sundance. Not sure if I got hosed. I paid around 500.00 for it. Did I get hosed? lol
Old 2013-12-16, 7:56am

It's like 20f here in Spokane! No going back now I'm runn'in it! lol
Old 2013-12-16, 10:26am

i think running that cold will cause condensation in your sieve beds = no bueno.
Old 2013-12-18, 10:29am

I set up a little igloo home with a heater for it. Hopefully it will do until I can get some insulation in my shop
Old 2013-12-20, 1:57pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

Joe, is it a generator or a concentrator?

~
~

#M-191
Old 2013-12-22, 4:55am
one day at a time

My generator has an internal dryer to protect the sieve beds. Regular concentrators don't have those. Some generators don't either. What brand/model is yours?
Old 2013-12-22, 10:31am
Curmudgeon Engineering

Generators and Concentrators are exactly the same. Differenciated arbitrarily by size. Look up oxy generators for explanation of the absorbtion cycle.

PJ
Old 2013-12-22, 10:37am
one day at a time

If they are the same then why don't I need to do anything more than just wash the external filter? Mine does not have a filter inside of it to worry about cleaning or replacing. It's the Airsep AS-12A which is the old model of this one here:

http://www.taichico.com.tw/Topaz_and...lus_Manual.pdf

As far as size goes, my Airsep generator is considerably less bulky than my regular Airsep NewLife concentrator. I'm not trying to argue with you as I have always respected your input, but I just wanted to let you know that more than 10 years ago when I bought this machine, there was a difference between a generator and a concentrator. I've operated mine in a humid climate for all these years and have yet to damage the sieve beds. It's because the workings of it are different than the concentrator, and it actually has some type of internal dryer that keeps it from soaking up moisture. If I bought a concentrator back then, I know by now I would have gone through at least a half dozen of them from working full time like I do. I paid over two grand for it and it has paid for itself many times.

Last edited by Lisi; 2013-12-22 at 10:46am.
Old 2013-12-23, 8:04pm

I'm sorry -- this isn't really a "reply" but I'm having a difficult time finding the appropriate place to ask a question. We just bought two EX15's from D&L Art Glass in Denver. We're setting them up to run with a Red Rocket and are experiencing problems with the oxycons "breathing" heavily. Using just one EX15 with my Mini CC produces the same "breathing". I figure we must be doing something wrong, because there are way too many of you that have them and I'm not seeing any complaints about this issue. Anyone have any advice?
Old 2013-12-24, 1:09pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGlass108 View Post
I'm sorry -- this isn't really a "reply" but I'm having a difficult time finding the appropriate place to ask a question. We just bought two EX15's from D&L Art Glass in Denver. We're setting them up to run with a Red Rocket and are experiencing problems with the oxycons "breathing" heavily. Using just one EX15 with my Mini CC produces the same "breathing". I figure we must be doing something wrong, because there are way too many of you that have them and I'm not seeing any complaints about this issue. Anyone have any advice?
Do you mean the flame is breathing? You can correct that if you hook up a small holding tank. There are some photos in this thread, and mine are the ones at the bottom. You really don't need anything larger than the one I have.

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...t=holding+tank
Old 2013-12-24, 11:10pm

Yes the flame is fluctuating on the torch and the two EX15s flow meters rise and fall, as if breathing. I appreciate the advice and have looked at your link to the other thread and I'm definitely heading out after the holiday to find a tank and fittings. The EX-15s have a warning on them not to exceed "8" on the flow meter -- but I've seen on threads herein where some are using them "maxed out." Does that mean they are going above the "8" max warning?
Old 2013-12-28, 10:28am
Curmudgeon Engineering

Lisi,

I too have used my Airsep 5 lpm concentrators for over 10 years. The underlying method of getting oxygen out of the air that is sent through the machine is called a Pressure Swing Absorbtion process. SEE <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygen_concentrator> for a brief explanation of the method.

If you strip away the 'accessories' specific to the designed/intended use, medical or industrial, they operate the same... only the relative size seems to determine what they are called. Today there are units that are based on machines designed as medical machines. These units use many of the original parts and may or may not strip away or add to some of the 'medical' machine accessories so they are better adapted to glass working use.

Call them what you will, they seperate oxygen from air using the same PSA method.

PJ
Old 2014-01-03, 4:35pm

Sometimes if the temperature is below 65f the concentrators will get a "breathing" effect. After everything warms up the breathing should go away. Also what is your elevation? This to could be a factor. Our equipment has a 3 year warranty. If you still have problems give us a call (765)315-0333
Old 2014-01-03, 8:02pm

Thanks much for the replies. The Red Rocket was too much for two EX15s, but they work great for my MiniCC. I was on four 5-lpm oxycons before and I'm noticing a nice difference in my heat. We moved my old four over to the multi-conglomeration oxycons for the Red Rocket and even that seems to be working better for my daughter.

And 'Extreme Oxygen' -- you, of course, are right. I think the temps were pretty low when we got the EX15s, and we work at nearly 7000 ft elevation. At this point, it looks like we're back to satisfactory torching conditions.