Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Classes, Retreats, Get togethers, Etc.

Classes, Retreats, Get togethers, Etc. -- Upcoming classes, retreats, special events, Get togethers. Please delete your thread when the event is over.

Old 2012-08-03, 10:26am
critter creator

Talking Wesley Fleming - Soft Glass Sculpture, Sharon NH

Have you been wanting to learn how to sculpt soft glass, to maintain better heat control of your glass, to make delicately intricate forms, and make fun and quick animal sculptures?

I'm teaching at Sharon Arts Center in New Hampshire next month and the workshop is a STEAL! Two days for $240 - where else can you take a two-day workshop for that price?!?

Wesley Fleming - "Off-Mandrel" Soft Glass Sculpture

Sharon Arts Center in Sharon, New Hampshire

Saturday and Sunday, September 22 and 23, 10am-4pm.
Tuition: $240, Member Rate: $200.

Link: http://www.sharonarts.org/master-classes-summer-2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-08-03, 3:33pm

Florida, think Florida.. I would be tickled to take the class. I am a newbie, but I work hard.
Old 2012-08-03, 6:01pm
Glassss... Wooood... Yum

How much experience do we need? I am very interested, but a little afraid.
Old 2012-08-04, 6:48am
critter creator

Cherri - If you can recommend a good teaching venue in Florida, I'd be happy to contact them to see if they're interested in hosting me for a workshop!

Pam - It looks like you've been here on LE for over a year, so can I assume that's how long you've been flameworking? If so, that should be fine. You mainly need to be comfortable melting soft glass (Effetre/Moretti is what I teach with) and have a general understanding of flameworking.

I've taught a number of people who have had not much more than 24 hours' time on the torch and they picked things up pretty well. This class will help you become more confident the glass

Please let me know if you have any more questions!

Last edited by vetropod; 2012-08-04 at 6:51am.
Old 2012-08-04, 8:08am

I'm just afraid to make bugs LOL!

You are the first on my list of classes I would love to take.

Old 2012-08-04, 4:44pm
critter creator

Cynthia, I bet you'd make some crazy-looking, bug-eyed bugs

California is on my list of places to teach someday soon. Haven't lined anything up yet, but I'm open to it!

Old 2012-08-04, 6:03pm
Critter Mom

I want...I want...I want ! Now look what ya made me do...I'm channeling Bill Murray's character in What About Bob

If ever you make it to the Eugene Glass School I'll be first on the list ! I might even drive down to California (hate the traffic down there) for such an opportunity.

Old 2012-08-04, 9:31pm
grama punky - class junky

come up north where its cooler...minneapolis would b great!

Old 2012-08-05, 12:04pm
Queen Bee

Wesley, my husband and I were in Northampton MA strolling through the various art galleries - I was so delighted to see some of your work in one of them!

Donna

Vintage & Contemporary Beads, Findings, Chains, Trinity Brass, Vintaj, Bead Tubing, Bobbins

Handmade Artist Lampwork Jewelry
Old 2012-08-05, 2:38pm
I speak Murrini!

OMG, I'm GREEN with jealousy!

And if you ever get the chance to come to CA to teach, you know me and Cynthia are gonna be right there...in the front row!

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2012-08-05, 2:40pm
I speak Murrini!

ETA: Well, I see Bonnie will be right there with us too!

Old 2012-08-06, 5:55pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglasszone View Post
OMG, I'm GREEN with jealousy!

And if you ever get the chance to come to CA to teach, you know me and Cynthia are gonna be right there...in the front row!

De
Ummm you'll have to save a spot for me in the front row too
Old 2012-08-06, 9:52pm
I speak Murrini!

Tee hee hee...I think that's all there would be - one LONG front row with all of us!

Old 2012-08-06, 11:55pm

Please don't forget TX! Wow, you've taught people with only 24hrs of torch time! That's amazing. I absolutly love your work and am always in awe when I view photos of your work.
ginger
Old 2012-08-07, 7:39am
critter creator

Donna - I'm glad you got to enjoy my work at Don Muller Gallery

Ginger - October! I'm teaching at Dream Fire Glass in San Antonio, Texas on October 27-28. However, I think the class has been wait-listed for a while! That said, I'm doing a demonstration on that Friday evening the 26th, for the local bead group - maybe if you're really nice to them, they'll let you in?

California peeps - Mention me to your local teaching studio That really helps to get classes lined up! It sounds like there are at least a few of you that would be definites and studios like to know that they'll fill a class...

Old 2012-08-07, 9:57am
Critter Mom

Okay, posted my request on the EGS facebook page.

Old 2012-08-22, 5:07pm
Bad Cat Glass

North Carolina! PLEASE! We have beaches, we have mountains, and we have lots of glassy folks. But if you make it to FL -- maybe Roccio's? -- it would certainly be worth the drive.
Old 2012-08-25, 2:28pm
Shelarious

Wow, only $240? A steal! I wish you would come around here, I'd be jumping at the bit!

Old 2012-08-30, 6:48am
critter creator

Shelley, you aren't kidding! I think the price is too low, but that's how they structure their prices, so no arguing.

Francesca, I'd love to teach somewhere further south(east.) Nothing is in the pipeline yet, though. I will be teaching in Texas this October, but that's certainly not southeast

Old 2012-09-12, 1:08pm
critter creator

Arrow

Alrighty folks, registration ends soon on this ridiculously good deal of a class! Get while the gettin' is good, as nobody else charges this insanely low amount of money for a class - even other non-profits.

http://www.sharonarts.org/master-classes-summer-2012

Old 2012-09-16, 9:55pm

Default your class

First are there still opening? I'll call in the morning. Second, there is a nice studio in coca, Florida Rocio and Ron Bearer are the owners. I'd love to take your class. cathy in miami

#W122
Old 2012-09-17, 8:41am
critter creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcaaw View Post
First are there still opening? I'll call in the morning. Second, there is a nice studio in coca, Florida Rocio and Ron Bearer are the owners. I'd love to take your class. cathy in miami
Hi Cathy - yes, there are still openings. The class is definitely on, too. It'd be nice to have you

As for teaching in Florida, I am open to that possibility. I'm working on scheduling for next year right now, in fact.

Old 2012-09-17, 10:00am
Shelarious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast Master View Post
Hi Cathy - yes, there are still openings. The class is definitely on, too. It'd be nice to have you

As for teaching in Florida, I am open to that possibility. I'm working on scheduling for next year right now, in fact.
ABR are good people.

Old 2012-09-17, 9:07pm

I'm all set for your class this weekend. I'm flying up there. Do I need to bring anything? I'm so excited

#W122
Old 2012-09-18, 7:09am
critter creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcaaw View Post
I'm all set for your class this weekend. I'm flying up there. Do I need to bring anything? I'm so excited
Cathy, I'm glad you're excited!!! I look forward to meeting you.

Please let me know if you have any more questions - I'm happy to answer them!

Here are the lists of tools and glass recommended for the class. Regarding the glass, basically just colors to work with for sculpting - transparents are usually a little stiffer and easier to learn off-mandrel with, if you're not used to it. But opaques are obviously nice for decoration.

TOOLS:
- eye protection (didymium or equivalent)
- shears for cutting glass
- non-serrated tweezers
- shaping tool, like cheese knife or Stump-shaper
- graphite pad or paddle
- tungsten pick

optional tools:
- serrated tweezers
- bbq mashers
- clothespin (wooden with spring)
- rod rest for hot glass rods
- can for water, to put scrap glass in
- clean towel or rag, for cleaning glass rods

GLASS:
- assortment of 104 coe glass, including:
- black, 1/4 pound
- white, 1/4 pound
- clear, 1/4 pound
- range of opaques and transparents to experiment with (dark cobalt, green, and amber all make good colors for learning to sculpt with, as they are stiffer in the heat.)
- if you'd like to try experimenting with extra features, feel free to bring dichroic, goldstone, Double Helix glass, etc.

Old 2012-09-21, 3:44pm
I speak Murrini!

I'll be thinking of you guys tomorrow...have a blast!

Old 2012-09-21, 7:23pm
Shelarious

I'm so jealous, wish I were there!!!

Old 2012-09-24, 1:16pm

This class was amazing and very quaint. I still cant believe what Wesley can do with glass, the creepy legs of his insects are extremely detailed... Thank you again for such a great time. I'll make you proud by practicing.....

#W122
Old 2012-09-24, 4:03pm

Wow! If I had only known! I'm so lucky to be close. I'll have to be on the lookout for your classes next year! Not sure when signups start for Snow Farm 2013, but that's a great place to take a class.

I'm having so much fun melting glass that I have actually started wearing jewelry!

Old 2012-10-07, 3:15pm
Amy

If you ever come near Wisconsin I'm there!

Dabler of many, master of none.

Tags
bugs, cheap, fun, off-mandrel, sculpture, soft glass, wesley fleming