Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-02-24, 3:05pm
I'm a lilac!

I feel like it would be hypocritical of me to buy consumer goods like a TV or cell phone or a toaster that was made overseas in unknown conditions, and yet balk at buying glass from India... if I had a CHOICE.

I tried to find a toaster that was made in the US a few years ago. My old toaster (made in Germany) had broken and I wanted a good quality replacement. I was out of luck. There are no longer any toasters made in the USA. So I thought, well heck, I'll spend a little more and buy another one made in Germany.

Nope. SOL. There aren't any toasters made in Germany anymore. In fact, the ONLY toasters I could find were made in China. I was sad panda.

If I do have a choice, if the option EXISTS, I will spend more for merchandise made in the US, and if that's not an option, I look for merchandise made in other countries with good labor track records. All too often, neither of those are options. Then I have to decide whether I can find that item used, or if I can perhaps simply do without it.

My couch was made in Portland, Oregon, by a small family-owned furniture company. I got to GO to the shop and watch them making furniture! It didn't cost that much more than a crappy imported couch, and I helped the Castellano family stay in business... plus, that couch STILL looks new, eight years later, with three kids, three cats, and three dogs, as well as countless parties.

I like to buy domestic products made in fair work environments when I can partly because I know that, almost always, they'll last longer.

I usually make my clothes or buy second-hand. It kind of sucks because Gap size 12 petite pants fit me perfectly... but they're made in Sri Lanka. Oh well.

So now, instead of calling me a hypocrite, someone is probably going to call me holier-than-thou. But you know what? I'm not trying to make anyone else's decisions for them or tell them they're bad people if they don't live the way I live. I can only make the choices that feel best for ME, not for anyone else, and I'll tell you for sure that I'm not an angel, and butter not only melts in my mouth, it melts anywhere within a 3-foot radius because I'm far from pure. But if I want to know about where my pants, phone, glass, produce, WHATEVER came from and whether it was made/grown under fair working conditions, I don't really care to have people trying to stop me from questioning, and calling me a hypocrite, when they know nothing of my life or how I live it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-02-24, 3:23pm
product of the universe

I've looked for an american made toaster before. One that would work for more than a year. Funny how something made here in the 60's like a toaster still works.

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.
Old 2009-02-24, 3:31pm

My friend ( we live on the east coast) wanted a new couch and wanted to buy one made in the U.S. ..
She actually ended up buying one made in Oregon and having it shipped ($$$) . Don't know if it was your same company but thought it was pretty funny .It may be that all the couch makers are on the west coast or maybe that was the one she liked. OR
maybe it's a small world...?
Old 2009-02-24, 3:32pm

I try like mad to buy made in the US. that frequently means much of what I buy says it and has many parts made elsewhere. I do try to find out how many parts are made else where and where before I buy.

I also buy much that is second hand. My computer is second hand. My refigerator is second hand, etc. I tend to buy my clothing second hand also.

I also buy locally made when ever possible. for instance my wallet was made here in Rochester out of leather tanned in up-state NY out of hide that was born and raised here. It cost me 5 times what an imported wallet would cost, but I was able to get what I wanted which was locally produced.

I don't have a cell phone. I tend to live an incredibly low tech life in most respects because I can't find high tech products I consider acceptable. My land line phone was made in the early 70's here in the us. I don't have an electric perk coffee maker because there is no personally acceptable choice. I have to perk it stove top which is much more of a bother- but it is the choice I find acceptable. I use a 1940's pyrex pot to do so. Again it was made locally and bought second hand locally, for about three times what an electric pot would have cost me. (vintage-sigh)

being concerned and trying to make the best personal choices for ones own peace of mind does not make one a hypocrite when one is faced with no acceptable choice. For some of us the question is important enough to be willing to pay more or do without.

I agree this doesn't make us better, or more pure. It just means we are making our personal choices by a different set of personal values. I'm not asking anyone else to use my values, or calling them names for using their own. Please do the same for me.

Old 2009-02-24, 3:49pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbird View Post
My friend ( we live on the east coast) wanted a new couch and wanted to buy one made in the U.S. ..
She actually ended up buying one made in Oregon and having it shipped ($$$) . Don't know if it was your same company but thought it was pretty funny .It may be that all the couch makers are on the west coast or maybe that was the one she liked. OR
maybe it's a small world...?

That's hilarious! I would not be at all surprised... I know Castellano makes furniture for Rejuvenation, and I think it's even in their catalog, too. Shipping for something that big must be an arm and a leg, though!

Old 2009-02-24, 3:50pm
I'm a lilac!

Well-said, Rob!

I wanted to add that I am by no means wealthy... I have very, very little disposable income. I just learned a long time ago that it's better to spend more and buy something of higher quality, because it costs less in the long run, and I have found that to be very true, so I don't feel like I "have" to buy the cheapest version on the market just because I'm working with a small budget.

Last edited by Kalera; 2009-02-24 at 3:54pm.
Old 2009-02-24, 3:52pm

Yes Kalera and think of the carbon footprint. makes it kinda crazy
Old 2009-02-24, 4:01pm

Yes I forgot to mention my tiny budget as well. Not only am I now a full time college student again, but I now can only work about 1/4 as much as I used to. I also find the well made goods lasting longer an incredible benefit these days- I can't afford to replace anything I don't have to!

I'd like to add that because every purchase now means that much more of my income- I'm even more careful to make sure I'm not buying with an eye to cheap. This means I do with out a great deal more to maintain my personal values for myself. This makes it even more bitter for me personally to be called a hypocrite...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post
Well-said, Rob!

I wanted to add that I am by no means wealthy... I have very, very little disposable income. I just learned a long time ago that it's better to spend more and buy something of higher quality, because it costs less in the long run, and I have found that to be very true, so I don't feel like I "have" to buy the cheapest version on the market just because I'm working with a small budget.

Last edited by Rob; 2009-02-24 at 4:04pm. Reason: to add.
Old 2009-02-25, 9:28am
Ad astra per aspera

Default That "Quality" Thing

I had to share an interesting observation. Remember a few pages/weeks back we were talking about the "rocks" in some of the Devardi rods? Well....I placed an order for about 4 pounds of assorted colors last week, which arrived on Thursday. I spent part of the weekend cleaning all of my new glass. New, in this case, is anything I've ordered in the last month. (I had a case of the lazies/ouchies for a little while.) In addition to the Devardi, I had several colors of Vetrofond Odds and oddly odds that I ordered from Frantz.

So I'm cleaning and labeling (I tag each rod) and notice something....not a single rod in this Devardi batch is rocky. (16 colors in all, plus 4 sample rods of other colors as a freebie.) Two rods have those funny scrape marks, but they don't present that much of a problem...I can tweezer off those little bubbles, just like I do with scratchy Moretti clear (I use that as 'trash glass' for puntying & hidden base beads). However, two of the Vetro odds rods had very large rocks in them...one in a Lemongrass oddly odd (looked like a knot in a tree!), and one in a Candy Corn odd.

I know that won't persuade anyone about anything, but I thought it was just a touch ironic.

Old 2009-02-25, 11:15am

I don't actually find it ironic at all, Karen. Quality control has to be good for a company to produce good glass. Rocks are a part of the equation if the glass is not made properly. It can be one batch that has rocks or it can be all batches that have rocks, or in the best cases, no batches that have rocks. Just because a glass has rocks, to me, only means that that batch has not been made properly. If the company has a history of putting out correctly made glass, then it is just an error, pure and simple. If a company has rocks more frequently then I would find the glass very suspicious.

It's kind of like mixing up a cake batter, if you don't do a great job, then you may have areas where the dry ingredients did not mix and it will show up in your cake.

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog
Old 2009-02-25, 2:57pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam View Post
Just because a glass has rocks, to me, only means that that batch has not been made properly.
To me, it means it wasn't sorted properly. 'Stones' happen... letting them out of the factory in bundles of 'firsts' is a quality control issue in the culling department.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2009-02-25, 7:24pm
Carol Bouler Owens

Smile Go to the devardi.com site

Hi, Folks! Since the quality of the Devardi glass seemed to be okay, I decided to go to their website and see what prices they have there. They have their 1 lb shorts at $5.00 each! I ordered 3 pounds and shipping to SC added $12, so I'll see what happens when I get them. Since I ordered 3 pounds, I figured most of their colors will be in there. A lot of their colors were sold out on their main menus.
dogmama45
Old 2009-02-25, 9:09pm
Ad astra per aspera

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmama45 View Post
Hi, Folks! Since the quality of the Devardi glass seemed to be okay, I decided to go to their website and see what prices they have there. They have their 1 lb shorts at $5.00 each! I ordered 3 pounds and shipping to SC added $12, so I'll see what happens when I get them. Since I ordered 3 pounds, I figured most of their colors will be in there. A lot of their colors were sold out on their main menus.
dogmama45
I hope they're able to restock soon, I'm itching to try their pinks and the purple.

Old 2009-02-25, 9:36pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDreamer View Post
I hope they're able to restock soon, I'm itching to try their pinks and the purple.
Me too!!

And Karen--I ordered a rod (ok, it was a quarter pound, but it ended up being a rod ) of odd vetrofond chardonnay--the new stuff--from Frantz--it has SO MANY white pieces in it, it looks like there's SNOW in there, or a really bad case of dandruff!--for a fat rod of transparent, it's hysterical. I'm not complaining/sending it back, because it just seems silly (over a single rod) but I'm glad I didn't order a whole bunch of it--because I *really* would have complained if I had--I ordered it to see how it matched up to the old odd lot (my very favorite shade of yellow ever) & oh, how dissappointing to see all those inclusions! I haven't even tried melting it yet to see how hard it is to pick all the bits out

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2009-02-26, 10:10am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I'm not sure I would pay $5 a lb for shorts when the regular length glass is $6 a lb.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2009-02-27, 8:52am

I might if I thought I'd get pink

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2009-02-27, 4:53pm

I would definitely for the salmon and pinks! And the Dk Marine. I am drooling for them. And the price makes it much more affordable in my dollar. I haven't ordered anything from O/S for ages because of the dollar and it doesn't look like it is getting any better but Devardi will give me options I haven't been able to take recently.

Kym

Last edited by Kym; 2009-02-27 at 6:03pm.
Old 2009-02-27, 10:59pm

Oh shoot, I don't know how to just take a section of a post and quote it, but what I want to say is very important!!!

OMG, I thought my Mom and I were the only ones who had pyrex percolators that we still use. How funny!!! I love them. They make the best coffee....and no rocks

Old 2009-06-21, 8:09pm

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam View Post
We, as Ameicans, are the only ones that I am aware of that are being offered the opportunity to purchase this glass.

Wrong. Hmmm there is a world outside of the USA. No you are not exclusive with this glass. Funny and so American.

Nancy
Old 2009-06-21, 9:01pm

Well, since someone else dredged up this thread, I'll say this--the PINKS ARE IN!!! AND THEY ARE GORGEOUS!!!

Old 2009-06-22, 4:04am

Hi Nancy, my post was dated 2/25 and at that time I was under the impression from the distributor here in the US that they were the first to sell glass rods made by DevOverseas. If there are other sources than this one distributor, I would love to know who. Would you mind sharing?

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog
Old 2009-06-22, 4:08am
KAS Lampwork Beads

There is an Australian bead forum glassbeadmakers.com and they've discussed buying and using Devardi rods. They love the glass. Perhaps you can ask them where they purchase it. Kathleen (kas)

My ETSY STORE:

Old 2009-06-22, 4:21am

Yup!

Quite a few of us have bought some of the gorgeous devardi glass. We don't produce lampworking glass here in Oz and have to buy it from overseas producers or retailers here who buy from over there. New Zealand Gaffer is the closest to us if I remember rightly.

We bought our Devardi Glass from the same place as you guys buy it in the US........ we just pay heaps more for the postage!!!

The service was great even to us here down under and the glass was just lovely colours. There was a semi-opaque baby green colour that looks just divine in the flesh and that is one that I am going to get lots more of when the new shipment arrives. Nuff said about the pinks and salmons.... YUM!

Nat
Feral Australian Lampworker

Old 2009-06-22, 6:13am

Okay, so you bought the glass from the same distributor, Devardi?

My Blog
Old 2009-06-22, 11:43am
Ad astra per aspera

I have to sing happy praises about another color. Their lapis blue is almost as dark as Effetre lapis cobalt, and behaves like a dream. No bubbles, no shockiness...it IS a bit stiffer, like most Devardi colors, but I love this stuff! I've GOT to sit down and take pix, but I made a large tapered barrel with this lapis as a base, a layer of Val's frit (um, um, um Gypsy Skirt, I think) which I raked and twisted somewhat then smoothed out, cased in Diamond clear seconds, then decorated with an Effetre green vine stringer and flowers made from a CIM Peace-coated-in-Val's-frit stringer. I've been eyeing it closely for two weeks, and it's as perfect as the day it was born.

Old 2009-06-22, 11:46am

photos please
Old 2010-06-23, 11:32am

I own a stained glass shop and I am going to start carrying lampworking supplies. Would you reccomend I stock Devarti glass? If so are there any colours that we should stock?
Old 2010-06-30, 10:06am

Angry

I bought this devardi glass from their website that I found on google and it definately needs some getting used to, it needs to be heated at a very low temperature or it cracks VERY easily, I've cracked this glass so many times and its made me very frustrated, I'm also mad because the glass doesn't stick to my bead release very well, whether this is the glass or my brand of belad release? i don't know but I'm going to keep experimenting with the glass and see if I adapt to it.
Old 2010-06-30, 10:09am

Preheating your rods will help with the thermal shock. I have had no trouble getting it to stick to my release. Maybe your mandrel is not hot enough?
Good luck!
Old 2010-07-04, 7:34am

I ordered a small amount of Devardi glass to see what all the hype was about. Yes, the rods are pretty fat.

I set them onto the top of my firebrick kiln while working (on aluminum foil to keep them clean), and when I was ready to use them they were preheated enough to eliminate the shockiness.

The transparent pink and champagne are worth the hype.

Tags
devardi, missing posts?