LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2008-09-19, 10:27am

Default Perhaps a Silly Question re: kiln and backup power...

I had a scare the other night. About an hour after starting the kiln's cycle, the power went out for 2 hours. I had a huge and wonderful goddess in it at the time (it did crack but not irreparably, I believe).

In any case, my question is "Does anyone have a suggestion for a small and reasonably priced backup generator for a 110V kiln?" I hope to never have that horrid sinking feeling again. We seem to have plenty of power outages and my heart just can't take it...

Old 2008-09-19, 3:11pm

If it is just the kiln you want to run look up the Watts it uses. If you want to run your whole studio you need to add all major power then fine a generator over that amount. Honda are one of the best They are very quiet ( That becomes very important after the first hour.) but they cost the most. The voltage out of the generator in important also. All will have 120 vac some have 220 also mine has both. My generator was made my powermate and sold by Coleman and I bought it at Home depot. About $375.00 (cheap)
Similar Honda about $1000.00 The output is 3500 watts. About 220 volts @ 15 amps.
This would run my kiln but at max load for the generator. I would only do this as an emergency. I would think a 5000 watt 220 volt @ 23 amps or 120 volts @ 42 amps would run most anything but a industrial kiln. PM me if you need any more info

Gordon
Old 2008-09-19, 3:14pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoltenMuse View Post
I had a scare the other night. About an hour after starting the kiln's cycle, the power went out for 2 hours. I had a huge and wonderful goddess in it at the time (it did crack but not irreparably, I believe).

In any case, my question is "Does anyone have a suggestion for a small and reasonably priced backup generator for a 110V kiln?" I hope to never have that horrid sinking feeling again. We seem to have plenty of power outages and my heart just can't take it...

I guess I didn't read you post all of the way though. For inexpensive Home depot have some about $400.00 3500 watts 3500watts/120volts = 39 amp
I would not think you would need more than that but check it out.
Old 2008-09-20, 9:12am
Gentleman of Leisure

If you have a power failure during kiln run.... Don't panic.... Leave door closed and let it cool down on its own rate.... You just need to restart kiln when power comes back on and run a "batch' anneal cycle... Pretty good chance object in kiln will survive....

Not saying back up power is not a good idea, but by time you get generator setup, plugged in and running and kiln restarted power may be back on..........

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal