Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-07-10, 5:07am

Default Help!!!!

Ok so I have learned how to make twisty canes and i love them. My problem is when i go to put it on my beads it cracks off. I make my disc and then am trying to lay a round of the twist cane on top of it it pops off. Chunks of the twisty cane will pop off of the disc. It doesnt seem to matter how hot or cool the glass is. I have tried it everyway i know how to. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Old 2010-07-10, 6:09am

Do you try preheating them ?

Lise
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Glass beadmaking since 2006.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-07-10, 8:15am

The first two things I would think about here are heat and air.

As to heat, the twistie should be quite warm (just short of glowing or floppy) and the base disk edge even a little hotter as you apply the twistie. What could be happening is that you are just getting a cold connection, the twistie is just temporarily tacked on and when it moves away from the heat as you rotate, or moves back into the heat the next time, it is shocking off. No matter what, after you get it on there, you want to be sure it is really attached, to do this I move to a cooler part of the flame, warm it there, and then progress into hotter parts of the torch, to really make sure it doesn't shock off.

As to air, if you are incorporating air bubbles in your twisties when you make them, as you heat them to wrap them on the disks those little pockets of air pop, and fracture the twistie. When making the twistie, a single air bubble in the encasing can get pulled the entire length of the cane, which is a drag, since the whole thing is then shocky throughout.

Maybe some of this will help. Since you are trying to wrap around disks, after you make the disk, only work on reheating the outer edge to the temp you need to apply the twistie, that way your disk won't collapse and become a round bead!! Jeri

Still selling beadstands but no more Puffy Mandrels.
Old 2010-07-10, 9:33am

You can also try annealing your twisties before you use them...

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2010-07-11, 1:23pm

thanks everyone. It could be an air bubble is there away to tell if you have one or not? Thanks for all the input I couldn't do it with out all of you!!!!!
Old 2010-07-11, 5:01pm

If you are making encased twisties, and so the outer layer of glass is clear or a light transparent, you should be able to see bubbles as you heat the encasing to smooth it. If you tell me how you are constructing the twistie, I might be able to help you with encasing with fewer bubbles, or dealing with the bubbles you see. Jeri

Still selling beadstands but no more Puffy Mandrels.