Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2010-09-04, 7:34pm

Default Ribbon encased in clear from Boro

At the Gathering I saw an impromto demo on making ribbons incased in clear. This was done in soft glass and was told it was much different with Boro. Has anyone done this? Any advise and hopefully tutuorials
Old 2010-09-04, 7:39pm
Glassmangler

No idea what they showed, but this is how I do it in boro.

Smush two big hunks of clear glass into rectangles of equal size/thickness. Stripe one rectangle. Melt the other rectangle onto the top of the stripes so that the color is sandwiched between the two. Add clear glass until you have round profile (covering the sides well). Melt into a big cylinder and spin (if you want twisted ribbon) or just pull (for flat ribbon).

Somtimes I'll cover one of the rectangles with dichro, and then stripe it to back.
Old 2010-09-05, 5:39am
Borovangelist

Just be careful what colors you use and how thick your stripes are. I've had ribbons crack while I'm trying to use them. The best way I've found to mitigate the problem is to garage the pieces of the ribbon in the kiln to keep them warm.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Old 2010-09-05, 8:36am
Pyromaniac

Those flat rods are good for this. I do it the same way as previously mentioned.

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Old 2010-09-05, 10:04am
Harold Williams Cooney

It's no problem.

Many, many techniques to making ribbon cane in boro.

The 'log of two rectangles' mentioned above is a great one.

Also easy to understand, is the 'Oreo' . Just like it sounds. The filling is your color, the cookies are the clear. Some people call this 'lollipop' cause that is what it looks like. The color in an Oreo or lollipop set up can be built in an amazing number of ways. for example, blow clear or colored bubble, fill whit frit, heat and squish to a solid flat lollipop.

There is also the 'taco' (where one folds the clear in half to get what basically amounts to a 'log of two rectangles').

There is the 'stacked Marias' (same as the lollipop except on the opposite access).

It goes on and on and on.

No shortages of techniques for ribbon cane in boro.

American Trade Bead Food Program; Necklace auctions
, entertainment that improves Colorado.
Old 2010-09-09, 11:35am

I love using the simax FLAT rod. i just stripe it, fold it over, heat, and pull. as far as cracking, it could be air left in your "sammich"

I always heat it up and press it rather firmly between my torch marver, and a patty masher, then pull it. this usually gets any "pockets" out of the ribbon