Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2008-02-11, 2:14pm

Default Granite in Kiln?

Can I use granite tiles inside for a kiln shelf/furniture? Granite's melting temp is supposed to be 3500 degrees F, so it shouldn't melt in a 2350 degree kiln? I was thinking that maybe glass wouldn't stick to it, so I wouldn't have to do kiln wash/glass separator?

Would this work, or is it nuts? Thanks!!
Old 2008-02-11, 3:20pm
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hels View Post
Can I use granite tiles inside for a kiln shelf/furniture? Granite's melting temp is supposed to be 3500 degrees F, so it shouldn't melt in a 2350 degree kiln? I was thinking that maybe glass wouldn't stick to it, so I wouldn't have to do kiln wash/glass separator?

Would this work, or is it nuts? Thanks!!
Although granite wouldn't melt, it would assuredly crack.

DeBrady Glassworks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- - Glass Campus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan
Old 2008-02-11, 6:31pm
Borovangelist

You also run a slight risk of it going kaboom on you if there's moisture trapped inside it.

|
|
Old 2008-02-11, 6:58pm
honorary bead lady

On another forum someone was talking about using pizza baking "stone" for a kiln shelf.
Old 2008-02-12, 1:54am

Thanks for the replies. I hadn't thought of cracking or trapped moisture.

I don't have a kiln yet, so when I get it, I'll test a small piece just to see what happens to it. No wonder no one uses them as a shelf... I just thought because they were so slick and nonporous that they'd make a good nonstick surface (like graphite), but I guess someone would have mentioned that by now if it worked that way. I appreciate the replies!
Old 2008-02-12, 6:39am
ManBearPig

You don't need to use any kiln wash or anything like that unless you are fusing. Just stick your stuff right in the kiln on the brick or fiber blanket. I have used graphite in my kiln before, and it works, but over time it deteriorates.

Old 2008-02-15, 7:45am

Thanks Cosmos!
Old 2008-02-15, 8:45am
Borovangelist

I keep a piece of fiber blanket in mine when I'm not fusing so it'll cushion the landing when I pitch marbles and stuff in there. Plus stuff rolls less. It's cheap enough that I just replace it every couple of months.

Just be careful because heating it up speeds up it's breakdown making for some respiratory nasties.

|
|