Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2009-04-14, 8:05am

Lorraine

Thanks so much for sharing your process and adventures with your studio/horse trailer! You've incorporated so many great ideas, and it looks wonderful. I love your advice list, too - I plan on taking the Belgian chocolate to heart.....Best wishes to you and your husband in these tough times.

Linda
Old 2009-04-14, 11:33am
Salt Box Beads

Yeah, Belgian chocolates Yummm. Thanks for the kind words Linda, we appreciate it. It is nice when you share your efforts here on Le and people respond.

I took the studio for a test run yesterday and well, we have some major tweaking to do. The chair was a pain, so I just ordered this one
http://www.bizchair.com/st205-os.html

I have ridden horses for many years so I do not think I will take the 6 to 18 months they say it takes to get used to the chair.

My HH is not as hot as I would like for my BE so I am bringing back in my Mega.
I will now have to switch everything around ( again) in order to do this. I have 60 amps to use and I will be using 40 so I feel I can do it.

There are a few more things that need tweaking but the torch and chair and being comfortable are the ones that needed redone right away.

I also found out I cannot leave the front screen door open for my poochy, it messes up the replacement air so she will now have to stay in the house unless DH is home. That's okay because she hated being in the trailer. Yesterday was her trial run to be in the trailer with me.

AHhhhh the best laid plans of mice and men.....

I may still add more pictures to this thread in a week or two when it will be finished ( all over again)..

I removed all references to my horse trailer blog. I deleted the HT blog. I didn't like doing it. I will catch this thread up in a week or two with more pics and hopefully the final for "awhile" studio.

Lorraine

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2009-05-04 at 10:20pm. Reason: Removed all references to blog
Old 2009-04-16, 10:38pm

What a great space...I would just love something like that! Just an idea- but maybe your DH should consider doing remodels/reno's on trailers and offer it up to anyone interested, possibly on consignment???

"There are some doors you should open".
Old 2009-04-17, 12:10am
Salt Box Beads

WOW DIVA'Z, What a fantastic compliment! I will tell DH, he will be very pleased. The only problem is this trailer is $20,000.00 We bought it off the lot after it had been there a year and paid $15,000.00 for it. I think it helps our studio to look really nice, because it is such a nice trailer to begin with.
We had such a nice foundation to start with, it made it nice to design a studio around.

Our home didn't sell and we didn't move to the country and I didn't get my horses. But I kept that trailer!! Thank-goodness. We almost have it paid off. and I got a wonderful cute little studio...mobile no less!

Studio updates: Well, it's not finished yet.

Looks like it will be another two weeks before I get comfortable and get to torching steady. I have to wait for my new saddle chair to arrive. DH has been detoured with the orchard, yard work and other chores. So hopefully he will get the AC in tomorrow as it is supposed to be 90 degrees here. I will try to get a few more pics up tomorrow.
TTFN
Lorraine
Old 2009-04-17, 12:50pm

Wow! I love your studio! You and your DH have done such a nice job. Enjoy it!
Old 2009-04-17, 3:46pm
Salt Box Beads

Thank-you rubyglass, we love to hear that! Here are some more pictures.

My reupholstered chair with some very heavy powder blue and chocolate material from Wal-Mart for 3.77 a yard. I used the stuffing out of a new pillow my mother gave me that was way too fluffy and stiff.

Worked perfect for this chair. At some point I will strip it and repaint it. Orchid rug was a gift from DH years ago...and the little table was another Wal-Mart find.

In the third picture you can see a black rug that will help to catch any glass before it gets to my orchid rug...Gel pads cut off of mouse pads that really protect my elbows.

I had to find a new way to torch as my vision has changed and now I need to work closer in so elbows on the table. Very comfortable and now I can see to do detail work. Getting old ain't for sissy's!!!

The A/C and the new saddle chair on order is about all that is left I think.
The wood for the AC is painted and ready to go in but DH is out and about today so when he gets to it I will photograph it.

Thanks again for all of the kind and encouraging words. I sure hope we have inspired other folks and maybe we have helped some to realize what exactly is involved in getting set up for lampworking.

Lorraine
Attached Images

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2009-04-17 at 3:47pm. Reason: spelling
Old 2009-04-17, 5:52pm
Miata and Sunshine! Yay!

I see on your pic of your rod warmer that it looks like you have a piece of graphite on top of an electric coil burner. Is this right? I've been looking for a rod warmer and didn't know how to convert one of those electric coil thingys. I absolutely love your studio! I am in the middle of rearranging and moving all of my sheet glass (I also do stained glass work) onto my now enclosed porch area of the studio. I'm going to have about a
12' x 12' area that will be strictly for lampworking. I just got some gutter downspouts cut up today and got my glass rods out of jars and organized. YOUR studio looks incredible and that little sitting area looks so inviting!! You and your husband do really good work!
Old 2009-04-17, 7:58pm
Salt Box Beads

Hi Tillie, Thanks for the compliments...I love my little dressing room turned into sitting room...

Will you show your studio area?. It is such fun to see how everyone else does it. Pictures???

The electric hot plate is a GE from Wal-mart. I took another pic for you because it is not a coil burner. It has a flat surface just like the graphite that I sit on top of it. It works great! and is great for cane slices too. Here's the pic for you...w/o the graphite on top.

WOW!! Look at all of the dust on that thing...Guess I need to dust soon...

Thanks again and hope to see your studio pictures soon.
Lorraine
Attached Images

Old 2009-04-17, 8:41pm
Miata and Sunshine! Yay!

Thanks so much! I'm heading to walmart tomorrow and see if they have one!
When I get everything put back into place, I'm for sure going to take pix because I know it will never be neat and straight again! LOL. Hey, I'm creative...do I have to be neat, too?
Old 2009-04-21, 5:37pm
Salt Box Beads

Tillie, I hope you were able to get a hotplate? They really work well but take up a lot of amps...

I got my chair in the mail today! YIPPEE! I put it together and got it into the trailer. I purchased slides for it and took off the wheels. It is very stable now. It goes up and down and the saddle can be adjusted up in the front or down in the front which of course makes the back end come up, so that is a nice adjustment.

The foot rung is adjustable too. Overall I LUV this chair. Time will tell as to how my lower back likes it though.

Does anybody else have a saddle chair? How do you like it?

DH is due to come home tomorrow so it shouldn't be too much longer for the A/C installation and pics and then I will be a torching maniac all summer I hope!

Lorraine
Attached Images

Old 2009-04-21, 9:11pm
Miata and Sunshine! Yay!

I didn't get to WalMart. Had a little emergency come up and couldn't make it. Hopefully, this week I will get there (15 miles away) and get me a handy-dandy GE hotplate! The chair looks awesome! I ended up with a drafting chair because it was the only one that adjusted enough height wise for me to sit comfortably. I have really long legs, and a regular adjustable chair just wasn't high enough for me. The saddle chair looks comfy and the seat looks wide enough to be really comfortable over a long period of sitting.
Old 2009-04-21, 9:18pm
Salt Box Beads

Yeah! and the nice thing is: it is a drafting chair...LOL

Lorraine
Old 2009-04-24, 7:55am
Salt Box Beads

Default Just a quick update

I am sorry guys, I thought DH would have the studio all finished and tested out but he got an invite to run off into far nor-eastern Ca. and hunt for mineral specimens. let me tell ya he couldn't get out that door fast enough!!!

This is especially delicious for him as it was on private land. So it may still be a few days.... but I am patient.

So I decided to share a gorgeous Iris pic with you I took in our iris garden and it is my favorite so far. This one is huge at 10 inches across! Enjoy and hopefully the final finished studio pictures will be posted in a few days....
Lorraine
Attached Images

Old 2009-04-24, 9:22am
Miata and Sunshine! Yay!

WOW!!! That is a beautiful iris!! I'm waiting for Bill to get back from Mexico so he can help me get my new torch all set up and tested, along with the ventilation. Yours went north, mine went south, and we both wait for our stuff to get finished...ain't that the way life goes? lol
Old 2009-04-24, 10:04am
Salt Box Beads

ROFL..Yep, how funny is that?!!

You know I could do it myself but I PROMISED I would let him do it and make sure it is all done right and he wants to pre test it all first for me.

I like to think he loves me rather than he wants to make the first beads and has a secret desire to be a lampworker....

Lorraine
Old 2009-04-24, 1:18pm

I have been thinking about that saddle chair and I theeeenk! I want one too. I like the fact that you just stand and get off rather than have to get out of it and you probably don't have a lap? to drop things on. Let us know how it works out for you...

Cheers
Kym
Old 2009-04-24, 2:08pm
Salt Box Beads

Hi Kym, How are you?
Here's a little info on saddle seat chairs and what they do.

They said for non equestrians it can take up to 18 months to get used to the chair by using it a little more every day than the previous day. It is just like riding in an English saddle and you can get very saddle sore if you over do it at first.

Here is an even more expensive one that maybe I can buy in the distant future...I really liked what they had to say about these types of chairs and since I used to ride for hours I decided to get one. So far so good.

http://www.bambach.com.au/template11...ategoryID=1968

Lorraine
Old 2009-04-25, 1:44pm
Dancing Moon Shadows

Hi Lorraine, I just went thru your pages here and am very impressed! I have a 4-Horse Featherlite with a dressing room. Unfortunately, my DH would throw a royal FIT if I were to even SUGGEST such a thing! Fortunately, I do have a room in my home that I can set up (if my tools would hurry up and get here) to suit this new passion. And BTW, he's up in Red Bluff at the Californios competition this weekend.

We are down in Grass Valley (but closer to Lincoln) so I know and understand only too well how hot it can get in the summer.

We still have 7 horses, but frankly, I'd sell them all if it were my choice. I'm too busy to ride anymore. (Not that I'm complaining, 'cause I LOVE it!)

I think your conversion is terrific. And thanks so much for sharing!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/b][/i][/font]
Old 2009-04-25, 9:58pm

I am fine thanks. Getting over a miserable flu that I see my youngest son is currently battling as well. Everyone seems to have/had it!
Anyway, I have put in an enquiry in with the link you provided (thank you very much). Could be useful for hubby and myself.

thanks
Kym
Old 2009-04-26, 4:49am
Tassie Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kym View Post
I have been thinking about that saddle chair and I theeeenk! I want one too. I like the fact that you just stand and get off rather than have to get out of it and you probably don't have a lap? to drop things on. Let us know how it works out for you...

Cheers
Kym
I have just changed jobs, and my new employer has provided saddle seats. Initially I found it very uncomfortable - your legs are spread wide open, and it is a long time since I rode a horse! After a few days it got better. The other staff absolutely love them - they have used them for 2 years. So I think you just have to get your muscles used to them, after years of slouching in chairs! Mine has a back on it, which is also very helpful in keeping your back straight. Because I am short - it is a bit hard to climb on and off it.
Old 2009-04-26, 10:00am
Salt Box Beads

Hi guys, well, I am up this morning after running 103 temp, with the flu. Man this one really slammed me. Today I am only 99 temp, but very weak and dizzy etc. Thank-goodness DH came home just in time to take care of me.

Andrea, I hear you about the horses...Most cowboys come to Red Bluff at least once or twice a year. The bull and gelding sale is the biggest event.

Imagine what you could do with a fourhorse..LOL but then you would be a divorcee'.
You are very close to Arrow Springs and very lucky because they usually have a lot going on there with some terrific classes. Welcome to the world of glass.

Kym I totally relate about the flu..I would rather have a cold than the flu at least it doesn't knock me flat on my back! I am having some tea, going to try to take a shower and then back to bed...

Gayetha, those chairs can be a hard to get on and off of but they really are nice once you get used to them. You are right that they use different muscles and they also spread your hip bones apart so weight is better distributed.
I am glad to see companies switching to them.

To everyone else that is watching for the final pics, I am sorry but this flu has set me back a few days...So I am hoping by next Friday it will be done.

I found a footstool in DH's office that I have abscounded with and I will cover it to match the chair. I am all out, got to go and rest now.
Lorraine

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2009-04-26 at 2:16pm.
Old 2009-04-27, 9:35am

Horse trailer, where? That is a beautiful studio, whish I had a place half that nice. You did a great job, love it.

Fire is fun
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, and omg shinny glass beads!
Old 2009-04-27, 11:31am
Salt Box Beads

Aww, thank-you kari. What a nice thing to say. I will like it a lot better when I can get out there and start using it!!!

I have been up for about an hour now but am still too weak and sick to stay up much longer. Now DH came down with the flu last night.

I must rest so I can watch dancing with the stars tonight.

I am going to quit saying when I think the trailer studio will be finished....
GOOD GRIEF!!! What I can say is more pictures coming soon....

Okay, I'am heading back to bed.....take care everybody and don't get the flu..it is really nasty this year! I honestly wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy..if I had a worst enemy.
Lorraine

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2009-05-20 at 9:05pm.
Old 2009-04-27, 10:25pm
Dancing Moon Shadows

Lorraine, I do accompany Bob to the Bull and Gelding Sale. It's my one mandatory performance. I'd personally rather be home, but it's tradition I guess...

And you're right... I HATE the flu. I rarely catch it, but this year it knocked me on my back for a good 10 days. I was miserable.

Take care of yourself, Lorraine! Get well soon!

[/b][/i][/font]
Old 2009-04-28, 9:10am
Salt Box Beads

Hey Andria,

We always go out and shop and get all of our errands done before all big cowboy events start and stay home because we have a hard time pulling out for left turns onto the BLVD. We live right off Antelope BLVD about 2 mins from the fairgrounds and it is just better to stay home and wait til Monday when traffic clears a little...

If you can sneek away for some torch play time or if you just want to get away for awhile, I can pick you up at the restaurant across from the fairgrounds main entrance. I live about 2 mins away. ( with no traffic jams).

I never got into riding rodeo..I was all about endurance.
Feeling better today but like I was run over. Even my hair follicles hurt!
I have to go take a hot shower and try to get rid of these aches and pains.

Lorraine

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2009-04-28 at 12:56pm. Reason: spelling
Old 2009-04-28, 3:13pm
Dancing Moon Shadows

So sweet of you to offer, Lorraine! I would enjoy meeting you in person some time! I foresee that chance next January during the Gelding Sale. At least we could grab some lunch or something! (And it would give ME a break from the boredom!)

I know how you feel today. UGH... Just don't get near anyone with the Swine Flu I've been hearing about! Lots of rest and water!

[/b][/i][/font]
Old 2009-04-28, 4:26pm
Creatrixie

Ugh, I hope that you and your hubby feel better soon, Lorraine. I'm really enjoying seeing the transformation of your horse trailer into your new Lampworking studio.
Gooooorgeous Iris, btw.
Say, did your DH find any yummy mineral goodies while he was away?

Be well everyone!

~Mary

There's always something new to learn!
COE 104
Old 2009-04-28, 6:51pm
Salt Box Beads

Thank-you Merry fool. we are both better today but still not 100%. Nasty stuff that flu. Thank-you for the compliment on the iris. It sure was a pretty one.

Well, about the mineral specimens..Hmmm he gets real excited about stuff that I think is pretty ugly! He went to a small pit that had been worked a few years ago but not recently.

They were looking for Cristobalite ( high temperature quartz) specimens which are found in Obsidian. They had to be really careful because the obsidian was razor sharp.

He brought back several boxes and some were interesting to me but I found the obsidian prettier and more fun to look at.

A prettier Cristobalite is one most are more familiar with is snowflake obsidian where the Cristobalite is solid with the obsidian and not vesicular. Little round off white balls stuck to the obsidian in my terminolgy.

So now he is off to work tomorrow, another drill so nothing will be done on horse trailer for awhile it seems...

Lorraine
Attached Images

Old 2009-05-02, 2:34pm
Salt Box Beads

Default Just a quick update

Last night I pried out all of the staples on the footstool I found ( in DH's den).

It has this neat wood piece that can be raised up and locked into place so that the footstool is raised at an angle. Very comfy. I tried to get a pic of it. So glad to get rid of the green tweed.

Unfortunately I was sick so long that now I am having to play catch-up with all of the household chores. So I am kinda squeezing in studio to dos when I can.

I did get the two leftover pieces of material sewn together last night also and so now I just need to find some stuffing material. I am not going out in this wind and rain. I will just have to find an old pillow or some foam out in the garage....there has to be something I can use around here somewhere!!!

Hopefully I will have pics of the little sitting area in the front part of the trailer complete with refurbished footstool tomorrow or Monday.

Is anyone else doing this kinda stuff? Am I the only one? Am I just making lots of extra work for me?????? Sometimes it feels like it, but then when it works out and looks nice I am soooo happy.

Take Care..Avoid the flu at all costs!!!!!
Lorraine
Attached Images

Old 2009-05-05, 2:38pm
Salt Box Beads

Talking footstool is finished.

The stool is finished..about as well as I could do it. The material was way too heavy for this application but by golly I made it work! I have upholstered it and let the corners just stay untacked. Works for me.

I only had enough material to cover the stool with stripes going opposite of the chair but I like that.

Now I just have to wait for DH to get the A/C put in which is ready, he has all of the wood cut except for the molding he wants to put on in the inside so it looks better,

but he needs to make sure it will be as vandal safe as possible from the outside. I would hate for someone to push it back into the trailer and then be able to come in through that window. So DH will address that when he gets home.

I will remove the AC from Oct thru May, so he is going to make sure it is easy to do that.

Remember that old Frankie Valli song My eyes adored you? So close So close and yet so far....That's how I feel about the studio..LOL

Lorraine
Attached Images