No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2005-11-14, 9:24pm
Maria B @ Indone6ix

Default Finally Done - HotJewels Studio/Office

After years of pathetically moving my plastic boxes full of jewelry tools, findings, beads, etc. from one room to another, set up my sad so called mini tabletop studio on the dining room table, I finally get to have my own office and studio. Took months to built and arrange this. And finally today I get to say, "Yes! It's done!'.

Everything are in place and I have all I need in this one room. I thank my DH who put up with all the drama, the mind changing, become the driver, delivery man, pick up guy, handy man, everything. Poor baby...

The Office table and jewelry corner.
Garfield stuff everywhere. I love Garfield.

The bookshelf and photo corner.
The peanut shaped table and bookshelf are from IKEA.
Actually a lot of the stuff I bought from IKEA. They're 'fit'.
You can see my plastic stool under the table, I have to always have that,
not because I'm short. It's just, everything are out of my reach..

The torch corner, right by it is my little TV/DVD combo to watch DVD tutorials. The rods are in the glass vases, the rod supplies are on the left side of the table. I also want to point out this 'smart' lampwork table, that my DH set up for me, I hope some people find this idea useful for them. Its a "Jerker' (mind my language ) computer table from IKEA. He put an additional 2 by 4 on the top shelf, and hang a fan under it. And yes, I have the tiny propane tank below the table, when I'm not using it, I always take it out to the garage.

Torch corner close up. Well, closer anyway..
My DH clamped the torch to the table and put duck tape around the base. He said he wanted to wait for about 6 months until he is sure I wont change my mind on lampworking, , then he will attach the torch permanently on the table.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by born2snooze; 2006-02-09 at 8:14pm.
Old 2005-11-14, 10:30pm
Ruebennesqueness Queenie

WOW, that's a wonderful office... and it's absolutely CLEAN, NEAT and ORGANIZED! I'm green!!!

Giving
a try!
Old 2005-11-14, 10:33pm
im Loving it!

Wow. it looks great..........

Same desk as my work one, good arent they?

Some super beads and jewellry will be coming out of your new room, I bet. All the best

Jenny
Old 2005-11-14, 11:32pm
Maria B @ Indone6ix

Thank you Bruna, it will get messy after I sit and work for a while. But I can not work well until I have everything in place again, I have minor obsessive compulsive thingy ... . So, I have to keep it neat...

Hi Jenny! Yes, I love that desk. Its got very wide work area. Thank you for the sweet words. Make all the hardwork paid off. All the best to you both!

Last edited by born2snooze; 2005-11-15 at 2:49pm.
Old 2005-11-15, 12:34am
Vote for Pedro

Very snazzy! (and neat!!) I love the photo set up Have fun!

Lorretta

Old 2005-11-15, 7:30am
Maria B @ Indone6ix

Thanks Loretta, I will!

Old 2005-11-15, 9:31am

There is only one thing left for you to do for your safety.

I'll even let you guess and not nag.

-Duane
Old 2005-11-15, 2:51pm
Maria B @ Indone6ix

Hm.. hang a fire extinguisher close to me?
I have it in the left side within my reach, its at the back area of the table, so it didnt show in the picture.

Old 2005-11-15, 3:05pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by born2snooze
Hm.. hang a fire extinguisher close to me?
I have it in the left side within my reach, its at the back area of the table, so it didnt show in the picture.
Not what I was looking for, but it is an excellent point.

You need to move that propane tank outside.

This is unfortunatly one of the biggest things that I am struggling with for my wifes studio. It unfortunatly looks like she is going to have to wait until we buy a new place.

-Duane
Old 2005-11-15, 5:05pm
Maria B @ Indone6ix

If you read my thread, I did mention my propane tank. That's why I was only guessing that you meant fire extinguisher, because I DID mention the about the propane already.

Old 2005-11-15, 6:22pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by born2snooze
If you read my thread, I did mention my propane tank. That's why I was only guessing that you meant fire extinguisher, because I DID mention the about the propane already.
I apologize, you did mention it.

-Duane
Old 2005-11-15, 7:25pm
Dichro Addict

I think what he was trying to point out is that your propane tank should never be inside the house or the garage, even when you are using it. It just isn't safe. I just had a plumber drill through the wall, and now my propane tank is outside where it is much safer. If the tank leaks, either while you are using it or while it is in the garage...well, you know what could happen.
Old 2005-11-15, 8:56pm
Maria B @ Indone6ix

I understand, we are working on a solution on this, since I'm using a formerly dining room, my husband refuse to put hole through the wall. So, maybe another hole in the window, I understand and appreciate the concerns and kind reminders, that means you care. Thank you!

But I dont use it a lot right now, so, the propane mostly kept in the garage, that's why there was no rush in making the additional hole. I'll remind my DH to do it sooner! Thank you guys!

Old 2005-11-15, 11:31pm
*glass spaz*

How utterly perfectly situated this work space is, and in my estimation, inviting and WARM looking! OH, to have my own space indoors! You've got sections of the room for everything, paperwork/design, photos, beadmaking, files! Wow! And it is so charminly and cleanly decorated. I love it!

I'll be showing this to db and adding to my "someday" list of studios to emulate!

Old 2005-11-16, 12:56am
Maria B @ Indone6ix

Thank you for the sweet words.
To finally have an office and studio, was one of the happiest time of my life.

Old 2005-11-17, 6:55am
Common Lurker

Maybe you or your hubby could cut a piece of plywood to fit the window space.

I had the same situation in my old house. Planning on selling, so I didn't want to start drilling holes and hanging permanent ducting. These pics are of my short-term solution at the old house. A piece of plywood cut to size, edged with weather stripping. Braun wall fan from Grainger and speed controller mounted. Even a little hole drilled for the fuel line. When I was done, I could just pop the plywood right out, and close the window. Flex ducting inside from fan to torch.

Since the propane was left in the bushes in the front of the house all the time, I eventually had to get a box to put the propane in. Both for safety and for protection against the really cold weather.

Old 2005-11-18, 1:33pm
Maria B @ Indone6ix

Hi Diane, that was the plan,

Actually the big pipe thing (what's the name, I forget) goes trough the replacement acrylic. Sorry, my English is not very good.

What I'm trying to say is, my Dh took out the real glass window and its frame and replace it with someting, I think its acrylic or something. So we can just put any holes in it as we like. And when the studio move or we move to other house, we'll pop the real glass window back.

Old 2005-11-18, 2:51pm
Mmmmm....Raku

What a great studio, Edna! Everything is so clean and nicely organized. And I love the wood floors.

Nortel Minor with one Concentrator
Old 2005-11-18, 5:16pm
Maria B @ Indone6ix

Thank you, Dawn, that is one of my favorite thing too!

Old 2005-11-20, 7:13am
Moving on!

Edna;
Your set up looks wonderful. <drool drool!>
I'm curious - is that an extractor fan sitting on your work bench? It looks so neat and small. May I ask the make of it and where you got it from?
Thanks so much

- nothing right now.
Old 2005-11-20, 1:13pm
Maria B @ Indone6ix

Dear Angela, thank you!
It does look small in the pic, eh? Its apprx. 2 feet long and 1 and a half feet wide, tho. Its got lighting and got a high and low setting. Its very quiet on low. I will post again with the maker soon. But I got it from Home Depot.

Old 2005-11-21, 4:47pm

Hi Edna. Would you also tell us who makes your table with the support frame?
Old 2005-11-21, 7:37pm
Maria B @ Indone6ix

Hi SL Bead, its a 'Jerker (again, mind my language ) computer desk from IKEA. We add a slab of 2 by 4 for added support, before we hang the fan under the top shelf. Here's the link for it:

Jerker Table - IKEA USA

This table is so perfect for lampworking. Its got big area so we can put all our stuff right within our reach while working away. The white wooden 'cover' in front of the torch were added later on by a carpenter I hire. The table is super sturdy. I love it!

Old 2005-11-22, 9:46am
Sensitive Arteest

I would love to know how to find that exhaust fan with the lighting. I looked at the Home Depot website......but I don't know what to search for.
Old 2005-11-22, 11:29am
Maria B @ Indone6ix

I forgot all about this, I also promised Angela to let her know the brand of the fan. I will find out and post again in a few minutes!

Old 2005-11-22, 11:39am
Maria B @ Indone6ix

Yes, found it! Here it is, exactly the one I have, its Allure, by NuTone, here is the one I have:

here is the link to Homedepot site: My Fan

And I search 'Appliance' and then search by brand and click NuTone. But here is the link to make your life easier : NuTone fan

Old 2005-11-22, 11:41am
Maria B @ Indone6ix

Okay, I tried the link and its always goes to the main page, I tried to point it out to the exact product. So, just click appliances, and then search by brand 'NuTone'.

take care you guys!

Old 2005-11-22, 11:56am
Sensitive Arteest

Thanks so much! Your studio looks amazing. Everything all in one room.....what a concept!
Old 2005-11-22, 12:47pm
Maria B @ Indone6ix

Thank you for the sweet words, Manon!

Old 2005-11-25, 7:53am
Mr. Cellophane

What a wonderful studio. Congrats!!!
Have you thought about covering those beautiful wood floors under your torch area?? I pop glass all the time and my floor shows the results. I was pulling a BIG cane one time and it part of it popped off and landed on the floor. I would hate to have burn marks on those beautiful floors.

The Libster aka Libby
________
Creampie tube

Last edited by Libby L.; 2011-03-30 at 2:50am.