Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2011-01-28, 2:23pm

Default North Star Dark Ruby

I am having problems with getting the color right on this one. I've had it turn liver, reddish pink, and coral. I am pretty newb so any advice would be awesome as I have a pound of this stuff and would really like to use it! Thanks in advance!
Old 2011-01-28, 3:35pm
funny mofo

Go slow... heat it slowly in the back of the flame. Let it get up to heat, and then work it while it's clear. Once it's up to heat, ironically, you have to work it quickly. I can liver just about any red there is, because I tend to overwork them, but every so often I remember to work more quickly and it looks good.
Old 2011-01-28, 4:19pm

Yes this seems to melt so fast and is very hard to control. I will try heating up in the back of the flame to see how that works out tomorrow. Also after going clear, should I just leave it clear and let it strike in the kiln or should I flame strike it?
Old 2011-01-29, 2:45pm

keep it oxidized and kiln strike..
Old 2011-01-30, 8:43am
Marbles, dude, Marbles

The above advice all sounds good. Try it. When I first started with colors I got NS Ruby and Dark Ruby. They both livered so much that I thought of getting a liver transplant. No, just kidding - (focus, Gerald, focus). What I did was switch to NS Light Ruby, which doesn't liver on me. Elvis red is very similar to Light Ruby and also doesn't liver on me. I don't know how you came to have a pound of the stuff, but I played with colors for an awful long time before I bought more than a 1/4 pound of anything.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-01-30, 11:36am

Bought a handful of colors in a 50% off odds sale awhile back so I stocked up and saved on the crazy shipping and everything. I plan on attacking it tomorrow to see what I come up with and will get back to yall with the results
Old 2011-01-30, 2:05pm

i have been playing with ns pomegranite[ hope i am close in the spelling] it seems so much easier to use than the rubys. it is a nice red also strikes easy. i have not got the livering from it either.
Old 2011-01-30, 3:28pm
Marbles, dude, Marbles

Yes, I like NS Pomegranate too. I use it alot on barrel beads. It is a translucent red, so I put a wrap of white on the mandrel, then pomegranate, then roll in some frit. I really like the depth I get, and I really like the 'red' of the pomegranate-definitely no livering and no boiling issues.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-01-30, 6:45pm

Ditto on the pomegranate I have used other reds for blown chili peppers and pomegranate is the best. No fussing around just shape and strike in the kiln.

Old 2011-01-31, 1:03am

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb tarry View Post
Ditto on the pomegranate I have used other reds for blown chili peppers and pomegranate is the best. No fussing around just shape and strike in the kiln.
Blown chili peppers??? Can you post some pics? My aunt LOVES chili peppers, and I would love to make her some.

Old 2011-01-31, 11:19am

Ok here are some chilli peppers I liked making them because the blown shapes didn't have to be perfect. So they were good practise pieces.
Attached Images

Old 2011-01-31, 6:58pm

Okay, well looks like I had better luck with the NS Dk Ruby today. It still livered in some places but I am getting the process down. It will just take some work and tweaking. To me its pretty fun seeing what it will do. Very reactive. Thanks so much again for giving the tips.

Also, awesome peppers I may have to look into the pomegranate in the future!
Old 2011-01-31, 9:15pm

thanks I have tried another red other than the pomegranate but I don't think it was dk ruby and it livered on me. I tried to be very careful but it was too fussy for me, so good luck it can be done.

Old 2011-02-01, 6:13pm

I am lovin' the chili peppers! I'll have to try that soon. Thanks for the pics!

Old 2011-02-02, 8:39am

Your welcome they are a popular item to sell anytime of the year. I also made some solid pendants I thought they turned out well too. These aren't the best picture of them but you get the idea.
Attached Images

Old 2011-04-11, 10:33pm

Hi everyone,

Just wondered where you got your pomegranate frit and which size you would recommend? I've been looking everywhere for it and haven't found it.

Monique
Old 2011-04-12, 3:59am

I bought a lb of pomegranate in the 50% odds and seconds sale as well - its great

Old 2011-04-12, 7:26am

I actually like the "liver" color of the Dark ruby and use it for some of my browns, gives it a redish tint.

Pomagrante is my favorite for a true red from North Star.
And Elvis Red that is one of the best reds. If you talk with them they will actually try and match what you are going for.....
Old 2011-04-12, 7:31am
Pyromaniac

I use Pomegranate and Elvis almost exclusively (and almost interchangeably) for most red applications. I've found that Elvis tends to get a tad darker than Pom - but YMMV.

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy