Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Closed Thread

Old 2011-06-15, 12:44pm

Think the comment was that the glass was not for her and that she needed to return it.
Maybe we can change subjects back to working with/help with the glass.
Old 2011-06-15, 2:06pm
And silence is golden

I do collect a lot of Devardi glass. What Mountain Snail said about the 'rocks' and 'cracks' in his/her glass has been on my mind all day, so I decided to check out my stash. I did find a particular color that has what I would consider a 'rock' in it along with some cracks on the outside. I would be remiss in saying that this would be just an isolated batch that he/she has.

It is important to let our vendors know that the glass is unsatisfactory, so they can talk to the production teams and get the issues resolved. Without further ado, I present the evidence that some Devardi glasses do 'rock'. It isn't enough to prevent me from buying this glass again though.

Old 2011-06-15, 2:10pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

I have a lot of colors and all the different glass types Devardi offers. I see the air commonly in rods, but in my experience the stones are not that common, except in the SOP and Opaque Pink. And I can't say that I have rods with cracks except through heat fracture, though I haven't searched all my glass.

I accept the short comings because I understand it is a developing company and their glass is at a give away price. I don't think anyone who is using it on an ongoing basis is surprised by the issues it has. They are clearly posted on this Thread and elsewhere.

If one were going to try boro or silver glass they would read up on it and learn about how to use it. The same applies to Devardi. With the help we are so willing to offer here and the backlog of info already posted, it seems to me that anyone can determine up front if they want the challenges for the price and savings. But I guess true Newbies are another story and can't assess it.

It's a great glass for many uses even though it has issues in some areas.

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2011-06-15 at 3:29pm.
Old 2011-06-15, 5:18pm

Thank you Wiley! I still can't figure out what the heck I did to cause the comments from Fine Folly and company. Unless she pulls the glass herself or something. LOL
Old 2011-06-15, 7:19pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fine Folly Glassworks View Post

I don't think anyone who is using it on an ongoing basis is surprised by the issues it has. They are clearly posted on this Thread and elsewhere.
Which is why I said I wished I had seen this thread before I ordered.

Old 2011-06-15, 7:30pm

Guess it takes more talented people to work with this glass!
Old 2011-06-15, 7:36pm

Yes, that must be it! I just suck. LOL
Old 2011-06-15, 7:44pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Snail View Post
Yes, that must be it! I just suck. LOL
LOL, I don't think thats what Bethany meant Snail hell, we ALL sucked in the early stages, some more than others.... I was one that sucked WAY more than others.

The Devardi glass rods are ugly looking, but worked the right way can produce beautiful results. I think with a little more experience comes more patience, it has for me anyway. The price is so wonderful and many of the colours have no peer, so I will keep buying it. I suppose the big question is would I recommend it to a total newbie.... well to be honest without being there to help and show how to work really slowly and heat it right probably not. Yet there is the conundrum that it seems to be just the right viscosity to work easily once melted and the price is so fabulous, if you kill off some rods on bodgy newbie beads - you won't be crying over the uglies you made using expensive glass later.

If its not for you, then that is fine.... its not for everyone, but I would recommend you put it aside because some of those colours will come in handy down the track when you have a few more tricks up your sleeve

Nat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Natsprat; 2011-06-15 at 8:07pm. Reason: clarifying "rods"
Old 2011-06-15, 8:15pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fine Folly Glassworks View Post

But I guess true Newbies are another story and can't assess it .
I'm not quoting this as a bash to Kristina but I think that you were also a TRUE newbie at one point and had the same struggles a lot had and that it was easier for you to assess something on your own than to listen to others. I just don't understand your comment because it seems to me like your bashing true newbies. I do think you were kinda rude to mountain snail. So many people said that she should voice her opinion and then she gets sh*t on for actually doing it.

Personally I like some of devardis glass and Natasha is great! I only had rocks in my opaque pink. I also love all of kristinas tutorials and it totally Rocks that she puts them on here for us.

I guess I just wish everyone could be extremely nice to one another but that probably won't happen. This is not the only thread I've read bitterness and meanness on today and it kinda just threw me off because I've only experienced great things on here until reading today.

Anyways, sorry for being a hog. Just my 2 cents. I love everyones work on here and I love this thread. I've been lurking a while and just reading this thread and the rubino thread I just felt like posting.

Don't want to P anyone off!
Old 2011-06-15, 8:43pm
And silence is golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2glassgal View Post
This is not the only thread I've read bitterness and meanness on today and it kinda just threw me off because I've only experienced great things on here until reading today.
Perhaps it has something to do with the FULL MOON!
Old 2011-06-15, 8:59pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimp View Post
Perhaps it has something to do with the FULL MOON!
I sure hope so everyone has always been so nice at least to me and I love it here so I hope it stays nice!
Old 2011-06-16, 3:16am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2glassgal View Post
I'm not quoting this as a bash to Kristina but I think that you were also a TRUE newbie at one point and had the same struggles a lot had and that it was easier for you to assess something on your own than to listen to others. I just don't understand your comment because it seems to me like your bashing true newbies. I do think you were kinda rude to mountain snail. So many people said that she should voice her opinion and then she gets sh*t on for actually doing it.

Personally I like some of devardis glass and Natasha is great! I only had rocks in my opaque pink. I also love all of kristinas tutorials and it totally Rocks that she puts them on here for us.

I guess I just wish everyone could be extremely nice to one another but that probably won't happen. This is not the only thread I've read bitterness and meanness on today and it kinda just threw me off because I've only experienced great things on here until reading today.

Anyways, sorry for being a hog. Just my 2 cents. I love everyones work on here and I love this thread. I've been lurking a while and just reading this thread and the rubino thread I just felt like posting.

Don't want to P anyone off!

Thank you for pointing it out. I can always say things nicer. It's better to say it nicer the first time than to explain too.

Niceness goes both ways though, so when we point fingers we need to see the ones pointing back at us as well. But I do thank you for making the point and we sure want to help anyone who truly wants help.
Old 2011-06-16, 3:59am

Actually the continued comments and the smiles with the middle fingers sticking up just really rubbed me the wrong way! I mean if you do not like the glass and do not want help with it why does she keep coming back?
Old 2011-06-16, 4:32am
StudioMarcy

Okay, I wanted to show you some of my photos from using the glass the other day. This is of some seashells. As I co-mingle my glass, I did use some other brands for the dots- think the pale lavender is actually some Effetre white mixed with CiM Zachary. Wish I knew the Devardi names, but not fluent in them. Please help me out. Will post my flowers and press a little later.

Folks, let's get back to what we do best. if we keep rehashing who said what, I know I'll be bowing out of this thread and wouldn't be surprised if others do too. Things have been said and that is in the past. Let's focus on the present, please?
Attached Images

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2011-06-16, 4:42am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Default Devardi Critters & Bracelets

I sure agree. Marcy those shells are lovely!

And for my part, to change the subject, how about a show of some Critters and Bracelets made with Devardi in days gone by? These will hopefully bring a smile...

And anyone who has read my free Tutorials on the Devardi site will know that you can use any design I make for your own use or to sell. Please let me know if you want to know the glass colors.

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2011-06-16 at 4:53am.
Old 2011-06-16, 5:13am

Marcy and Kristina-beautiful!!!! Thanks for sharing! My shells always look like aliens on crack!
Old 2011-06-16, 5:14am

Oooooh gorgeous shells marcy, I like the "frilly bits" and the colours you have used. I too am a bit dodgy on knowing some of the colours.... there are so many of the new colours that are lovely too I get a bit overwhelmed!

Woah Kristina!!! I haven't seen these ones before (mind you I am in a foggy zone sometimes)! They sure brough a smile to my face.... I especially like how you have the fish in the belly of the cat.... it just ... er... tickled me

Nat

Old 2011-06-16, 5:38am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsprat View Post
Oooooh gorgeous shells marcy, I like the "frilly bits" and the colours you have used. I too am a bit dodgy on knowing some of the colours.... there are so many of the new colours that are lovely too I get a bit overwhelmed!

Woah Kristina!!! I haven't seen these ones before (mind you I am in a foggy zone sometimes)! They sure brough a smile to my face.... I especially like how you have the fish in the belly of the cat.... it just ... er... tickled me

Nat
Thank you Nat... I have a thing for Goldfishies I'm afraid! I could post more but people will start to throw things at me for Thread Hogging!

Old 2011-06-16, 6:34am
Evil Glass Enabler

I have a thing for goldfishes too. Post away. Angelique

Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Hothead or Nortel Major/minor on an oxycon. Ex-hole stole the big torches after putting them on the inventory.
"If I'm not part of the solution then I'm part of the problem. Today I'm part of the problem."
Old 2011-06-16, 6:55am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Default Devardi Pixie Dust Necklace & Bad Camera Work

Thank you Angelique! I'll post one more since I do have a need. As you can see, I don't shoot very well, and for the life of me I can't get a good picture of this Pixie Dust necklace I have been working on.

Any tips? And have any of you played with the Devardi Pixie Dust on their different colors of glass?

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2011-06-16 at 6:58am.
Old 2011-06-16, 7:05am

This is Devardi glass. The transparent topaz can be very shocky but once I started using the rod warmer things improved quite a bit lol.

This is the pixie dust.

Old 2011-06-16, 7:27am
Evil Glass Enabler

I want to see it on the macro or zoom setting. Angelique

Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Hothead or Nortel Major/minor on an oxycon. Ex-hole stole the big torches after putting them on the inventory.
"If I'm not part of the solution then I'm part of the problem. Today I'm part of the problem."
Old 2011-06-16, 7:39am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Just beautiful Sonja!
Old 2011-06-16, 1:54pm

Marcy..I just love your top shell..love the color! Good job on all..and Sonja..that topaz is beautiful..truly! Does it do the streaky thing all by itself? Your Pixies are super too.Yes..I agree with Angelique..Kristina,do some macro shots to go with the full necklace photo..a collage so to speak.its impossible to see the Pixie dust from a distance and to focus in on a few of the different colors would go far in people seeing what the whole necklace looks like..especially if you are planning on selling it
Marcy..hang around..please..I am loving watching your progress.i do lurk a lot cause haven't much new beads to show but will soon
"

Old 2011-06-16, 1:57pm

No, those animal stripe beads are made using black and white twisties wrapped around either a white or black base bead laid down right next to each other as you are wrapping the bead. then you take dk topaz and light topaz and clear and cover the whole bead in random dots close enough that they will melt together smoothly (think porcupine). Melt to round and you are good to go. You can do them in other colors also.

Old 2011-06-16, 1:58pm
StudioMarcy

Here's my Devardi press that I recently bought. I added a few details to the flowers, but you can see the basic shape from the press.
Attached Images

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2011-06-16, 1:59pm

And the shells are lovely, I love that color of blue!

Also, Kristina, if you take the necklace and you coil it neatly then use your macro setting at table level or slightly higher for the angle you should get a great shot.

Old 2011-06-16, 1:59pm

The press is awesome. They were sold out of all 5 of the ones I wanted by the time I got the email.

Old 2011-06-16, 2:02pm
StudioMarcy

Yes those presses go quickly. I was back looking at what was left and there are quite a few, but none of them are currently singing to me.

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2011-06-16, 3:01pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Thank you all on the camera info. I will do the close-up shots... there's just no way to get the delightful beauty of the Pixie Dust at any distance I guess!

Sonja I wish I could watch you make those gorgeous Topaz swirl beads. They are amazing. Maybe do a Tutorial one day?

Marcy your flower press treatments are the Bee's knees in cute. More, more!

We leave for a weekend trip tomorrow, but will be back Sunday. I will miss you all!
Closed Thread

Tags
devardi