No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2005-11-25, 4:14pm
Mary Lockwood

Default Is this safe to use as a milli warmer; hotplate

Looking at items like this one on eBay. Says it gets up to 600 degrees F.

My only concern is that the face is small, so I can't really use it for preheating rods or anything, but I think it would work nicely for small bits like shards and milli.

Anyone using one of these for this purpose?

~~Mary

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2005-11-25, 8:24pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Yah... BUT if you had something to prop up ends of rods (minature saw horse) the ends you need to heat could still sit on top of "hotplate"...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2005-11-27, 8:58pm
boro color bender

Look for one a little bigger. I've got one step up from that and it goes over 700 degrees. It's really nice for heating up canned food in a hotel room. Hurricane season here will teach you all kinds of neat stuff.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2005-12-03, 7:28pm
oxygen deprived

i just bought a belson ceramic heater thing that's used for curling irons - it's amazing. sits at 900; perfect for preheating plus garaging beads when you're trying to cut foil, answer phone, pull necessary stringer, etc.

They make two sizes; I have the small.
http://store.imperialsales.net/gh5000.html

i'm sure a hot plate would work for preheating, but not for temporarily keeping works in progress from shocking. it was soooo worth the $.
Old 2005-12-04, 9:56am
Mary Lockwood

Thanks guys!

I am going to get one of these, and I am going to look for one with a slightly larger face. Every inch counts, right? LOL

Alissa, I have seen those curling iron heaters and I think I've read about several lampworkers using them and they are swell. My problem is table space. I need something small, and generally I use my kiln for keeping works in progress from cracking, although I have sketchy success in reheating them up to flame temp. LOL.

Pretty much, my use for it is preheating milli and small components and the ends of my larger rods of clear that I strip for encasing and implosions.

I DO like that your jobber goes up to 900 though. That would be perfect.

Rethinking my studio set up as I type this. This is what I get for building a studio based on current work and not allowing myself room for growth. The whole studio is only 5' by 6', so space is in demand. My table top is obscenely narrow and filled with stuff.

Gonna have to work on that.

Thanks for the help everyone.
~~Mary

Old 2005-12-04, 1:27pm
Hole Challenged

I keep a 5x5 graphite marvering pad on top of my burner to add some extra space.

Old 2005-12-04, 2:57pm

Could you use a clothes iron turned upside down? Maybe make some sort of bracket to hold it level. Just a thought.
Alan