Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2018-06-17, 8:38am

Thanks Kristin and Laura. Yes, Kristin, come to the dark side... Good luck with the oxycon! Hope you can fix it.

Pretty beads, Laura! How cool to use a frit named after your biz. I need to get out more and check on some of her frit.

KA, I agree with Susan. Fusion/FPI is awesome. Only super heat where your footprint will go, otherwise the part that was heated and then cooled will sometimes crack when you marver or use a roller.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2018-06-17, 9:52am
Slogan Challenged...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA View Post
All the beads look awesome. I can never seem to get the bead release to stay intact while working boro.
I have exactly this problem also! I have many beads that I cannot get off the mandrel either.

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Etsy:

Old 2018-06-17, 9:54am
Slogan Challenged...

thank you so much, Susan

I just finished 10 hours of torching last night and still not caught up on my customs. Can we say 'overcommitted' ? LOL Maybe next week......Post some more pretties!

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2018-06-17, 3:16pm
DaveK

Default Show and tell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson River Glass

Thank you, Dave. Have you tried Fusion? I'd be happy to send you a little to try if you'd like.

Thanks but I bought this a few years ago and everyone raved about it. Specifically designed for boro so I came to the conclusion I am more of a pendant type guy.

You can call me Dave 🎨
Old 2018-06-19, 6:25am

I've tried (since starting in 200:

Dirty Louies
BOM (Bucket of Mud ... no longer produced)
Super Blue Sludge (no longer produced)
ABR release
FosterFire Smooth and Tuff
Tuffy's (which everyone was raving about)
Super Blue Ultra (replaced the previous version ... one ingredient became unavailable)
And final Fusion that Susan gifted me.

The original Super Blue was the best for me for Boro. Ultra is designed to release easy once cool and I end up with anything silver glass that you need to cool and strike or cool and reduce ... the darn release lets loose.

Fusion has been the best ... though still not perfect for beads.

Old 2018-06-23, 7:09am

Playing with testing color recipes from others. First up a Sandy Seeman recipe.

I call it Desert Camo
Attached Images

Old 2018-06-24, 5:27am
DaveK

Those are cool Laura!

I am fairly ignorant about beads. Do you always use a separate mandrel for each bead or can you make more than one bead on a single mandrel?
You can call me Dave 🎨
Old 2018-06-25, 8:50am

You could make multiple to a mandrel. Susan at Jackson River does that with her disk beads ... load the mandrel up.

Since I mostly work on 1/16" and have to be careful to keep the mandrel out of the flame to keep from burning through. I happily make one bead to a mandrel.

Old 2018-06-25, 12:01pm

I nearly always make many beads (5-9 or so) in a single mandrel. These are relatively simple, speedy beads. Just be careful not to hit them with flame after they are done, as they have begun to cool and might crack. I very seldom have cracking problems, although I use extra caution with boro containing a lot of metal (Amazon Night, Aurora, etc).
Making multiples like this allows me to make a small set of similar sizes easily and quickly.

Last edited by alcyon; 2018-06-25 at 12:02pm. Reason: emoticom bomb
Old 2018-06-25, 4:49pm

Really nice, Laura! Kinda neutral but in NO way boring.

The only beads I make more than one to a mandrel (mostly) are disc beads, then it's 5 tops. I don't know what it is but I have cracking problems if I try to push it.

Old 2018-06-29, 3:01am

Having fun with DAP.
Attached Images

Old 2018-07-02, 7:28am
DaveK

Facebook just reminded me of DFO2014 here in Eugene. Scored half a table for $35 full booths went for $1300.
You can call me Dave 🎨
Old 2018-07-02, 8:02am
DaveK

Playing with Momka Marley (or Marley II?)
Any other ideas for tricolor rods?
You can call me Dave 🎨
Old 2018-07-02, 2:51pm

Dave, you could wigwag them for long pendants or earrings. I wigwag them for pen shafts and leaves. 3 and 5 from the top are Momka multi rods but I don't know which ones.

Old 2018-07-02, 8:32pm
Living out Loud

Thanks for sharing with all of us!!

Old 2018-07-03, 6:06am
DaveK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Muses Glass View Post
Dave, you could wigwag them for long pendants or earrings. I wigwag them for pen shafts and leaves. 3 and 5 from the top are Momka multi rods but I don't know which ones.
Thanks! Very nice work.
You can call me Dave 🎨
Old 2018-07-03, 8:06am

Beautiful work, everyone!

Old 2018-07-05, 8:32am
DaveK

Default Show and tell!

Looking for other applications for Momka’s tricolor rods I did this millefiori six pack... back to the drawing board I guess. Maybe I will try and back a marble with it.

You can call me Dave 🎨

Last edited by KA; 2018-07-05 at 10:40am.
Old 2018-07-05, 11:19am

I like those, Dave. They're very autumn-y.

Old 2018-07-05, 12:07pm
DaveK

Quote:
I like those, Dave. They're very autumn-y.
Thanks.
It was so dark at first, I was kind of disappointed but they are growing on me.
You can call me Dave 🎨
Old 2018-07-10, 10:08am

Another pink experiment and a nod to soft glass layering again. <hint
Some have added extras like stringers or frit but the base pink is 2 different ones, both made in the US.
Anybody want to guess the 2 rods? I'll tell, but I thought it might be fun to guess.
Nothing outrageously pricey or hard to get, easy strike and not a combo I've seen in a recipe book.

Old 2018-07-10, 5:32pm

Rebecca, I'll play yellow and orange?

Old 2018-07-10, 6:29pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kare TX View Post
Rebecca, I'll play yellow and orange?
A playa!!! No yellow but one of the colors *is* kinda orange, Momka grapefruit is one of the colors.

Old 2018-07-10, 7:05pm
Loving learning

I know nothing, but could it be Exotic Citrus? But now I am wondering if I even got the name right.

Or Pomegranite? I know I used that before.
Old 2018-07-11, 12:33pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
I know nothing, but could it be Exotic Citrus? But now I am wondering if I even got the name right.

Or Pomegranite? I know I used that before.
I got lazy and didn't type out the full name of one of them. It's Exotic Citrus Grapefruit. There is also and Exotic Citrus but it's not in those beads.

Ok, the other color is NS Purple Lilac, it's over the ECG. Just another pink for the list.

Old 2018-07-12, 6:23am

Awesome Rebecca.

Susan (Jackson River Glass) and I have been playing with pinks ... but the outrageous pricey ones. Bought Abnormals.

Also just got a pound of the Exp. Sparkle Black from TAG for a custom order for my SIL.

Great color combos!!!

Old 2018-07-14, 8:59am

Color layering tests with a Sandy Seaman recipe.
Attached Images

Old 2018-07-14, 11:33am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagpieGlass View Post
Awesome Rebecca.

Susan (Jackson River Glass) and I have been playing with pinks ... but the outrageous pricey ones. Bought Abnormals.

Also just got a pound of the Exp. Sparkle Black from TAG for a custom order for my SIL.

Great color combos!!!
Did you get a chance with the sparkle black yet? I'd love to see when you do, and what you think of it.

Old 2018-07-14, 2:23pm

Quote:
Did you get a chance with the sparkle black yet? I'd love to see when you do, and what you think of it.
My SIL gave me a custom order for black knobs for a TV cabinet she is having built ... so I have a pound of the sparkle black and just played with testing a couple ideas for her.

Did you see the Octo that Marilyn Ure made from it ...

I'll post pix when they come out of the kiln.

Old 2018-07-27, 10:50am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagpieGlass View Post
My SIL gave me a custom order for black knobs for a TV cabinet she is having built ... so I have a pound of the sparkle black and just played with testing a couple ideas for her.

Did you see the Octo that Marilyn Ure made from it ...

I'll post pix when they come out of the kiln.
No, where can I see the octo? And are your knobs *still* in the kiln?

I've been playing with wood grain. Not so sure about them yet and I'm lusting for a sandblaster. A couple are sanded by hand to cut the shine.