Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2010-01-15, 12:59pm
ManBearPig

Default All the tutorials on one site?

A recent post about people leaving feedback about tutorials got the wheels in my head moving, and I wanted to see if this is something that would work...

Would any of you like to see a site where you could shop for lots of tutorials from different authors all on the same site?

What I'm picturing is something like Amazon or something where the tutorial authors can submit their tutorials for sale and when the tutorial gets sold they get a certain percentage (the rest going to the site). The majority of the sale would go to the author, with a small percentage (less than 20%) going to the site. Granted, the author wouldn't be receiving as much per tutorial as if they sold it directly to the customer, but my hope is that the site would draw in more customers than the author would get on their own.

Another bonus of this site would be a way for customers to rate the tutorials so that when someone is looking at it they can see what others thought of it. It could potentially offer the "Customers who bought this also bought______" like Amazon does.

This is something I would be glad to put together if it's something the tutorial-buying public would like to see.

This idea is only a few minutes old so obviously there would still be a lot of details to be worked out if it were to happen. I just wanted to put it out there and see if anyone was interested.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-01-15, 1:08pm
Boro Bum

I like the idea not a big tut buyer anymore but I know there's probly some i would like but never came across.

AcidFly
Old 2010-01-15, 1:13pm
Looking for my waistline

I think the buyers would love it. Not so sure about the sellers, though.
Old 2010-01-15, 1:15pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I agree with Char.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-01-15, 2:57pm

You know, Cosmo, I am not sure I think that's a really good idea. There is so much that would be totally subjective and depend on where you are in lampwork education. And the people who read the reviews, since they are anonymous would have no way of valuing that review. A person with just a year or two of experience may value a given tutorial as fantastic, great, very informative, etc., while someone with 10 years of experience may say the tutorial is strictly for beginners. Someone who has only been making beads for a week may say that it is way beyond my level. Don't buy it, it is too hard.

And equally, a person who has never seen anything like this technique may determine that the instructions are not clear, where someone who is somewhat familiar with the technique may consider the instructions too detailed.

I honestly don't think this is a positive move for anyone, buyers and authors alike.

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog
Old 2010-01-15, 3:11pm
Critter Mom

So maybe the critique part wouldn't work, but I think having a site just for tutorials would be WONDERFUL ! I've searched through pages and pages of tutorials here trying to find just the right one...it'd be great to have them all on one site, categorized by subject, by author, by whatever. I vote Yes !

Old 2010-01-15, 3:24pm
Jacqueline Parkes

You know, I came across a site a couple of months ago that had tutorials only and in categories. Unfortunately I have lost my bookmarks due to a computer crash.

I am going to google and see what i can come up with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredinCoquille View Post
So maybe the critique part wouldn't work, but I think having a site just for tutorials would be WONDERFUL ! I've searched through pages and pages of tutorials here trying to find just the right one...it'd be great to have them all on one site, categorized by subject, by author, by whatever. I vote Yes !

Old 2010-01-15, 3:25pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Well that was easy.

http://www.lampworktutorials.com/

Old 2010-01-15, 4:01pm
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam View Post
You know, Cosmo, I am not sure I think that's a really good idea. There is so much that would be totally subjective and depend on where you are in lampwork education. And the people who read the reviews, since they are anonymous would have no way of valuing that review. A person with just a year or two of experience may value a given tutorial as fantastic, great, very informative, etc., while someone with 10 years of experience may say the tutorial is strictly for beginners. Someone who has only been making beads for a week may say that it is way beyond my level. Don't buy it, it is too hard.

And equally, a person who has never seen anything like this technique may determine that the instructions are not clear, where someone who is somewhat familiar with the technique may consider the instructions too detailed.

I honestly don't think this is a positive move for anyone, buyers and authors alike.
Actually, I think that's one of the positives. The idea I'm basing it on is one of the bicycling web sites that I visit a lot. When someone leaves a review, they also fill in what kind of bike they ride, how long they have been riding, how many miles they ride a week, etc. Something like that in the glass world would allow people reading reviews to see that this particular person has XX years experience, and they usually work with XX glass on XX torch, or whatever. That way they can see how the person leaving the review compares with them.

Smartflix has a review process that I have found really helpful. It has helped me keep from renting videos that weren't well made or informative. And, personally, as a tutorial/book/video author, I want to hear what people like and don't like about my work. I want to put out a product that helps in the best way possible, and just because I think something makes sense or looks right or whatever doesn't mean everyone else thinks so.

And, again, the tutorial authors choose whether or not to be included in the site, so anyone who doesn't like the way it's set up can simply choose not to be a part of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemsinbloom View Post
Yeah, I saw that one. I believe that one only has links to free tutorials that are online already.

Old 2010-01-15, 4:13pm
da General

lampworktutorials.com lists both free and for-purchase tutorials and listing on the site is free and it does have a basic review option.

|
|
|
|
Old 2010-01-15, 4:38pm
ManBearPig

I didn't look through all the categories (only 2 or 3) but all I saw was links to forums or youtube videos.

Plus, if I do this, you will be able to purchase directly from the site. And you won't have to deal with all the ads.

I haven't decided if I'm actually going to do it or not, but I do think it's something that would benefit both tutorial buyer and tutorial author alike.

Old 2010-01-15, 5:17pm
Mad about Glass

I think it's a great idea. At present, some tutes are instantly downloadable and others are sent by email by the author. For someone who wants immediate gratification buy and download for all tutes would be awesome. Would the site have this capability?

[url]

Old 2010-01-15, 5:20pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckie View Post
I think the buyers would love it. Not so sure about the sellers, though.
Yeah, not sure I'd be a big fan. 20% is quite a lot especially when you still have to subtract the Paypal fee. Plus, if someone hated me they could just screw with my reviews anonymously. Think TAM.

Old 2010-01-15, 6:12pm

You were also talking about doing some kind of printing so could someone buy several off the site and then have you print them some way? This might be a great idea but I agree 20% is alot. What about just a flat fee per tutorial kind of like etsy? I also see what others say about feedback so I also think it would be very subjective so might not work so good. But I like the idea of buying several tutorials and being able to have them printed and sent to me.

Old 2010-01-15, 6:20pm
NW Oregon

I hope this tutorial forum stays here whether another site starts up or not. I think the feedback that is in each tutorial thread is a good indication of how well the tutorial is written. I like knowing that the author gets 100%. I like the fact that the author responds to comments and questions. And I like seeing the things that were made as a result of the tutorial.

What you are describing is very much like jewelrylessons.com, where the tutorial are rated. I hardly ever go there. I like coming to LE and seeing everything on one website.

Don't change things here even if you set up a website elsewhere.

Jennifer
Highland Beads
Old 2010-01-15, 8:16pm
Looking for my waistline

I don't think 20% is too much to ask for a commission. If you had your beads in a shop, you'd be happy to find one that only wanted 20%. As far as a flat fee, that wouldn't be very fair for the people who don't charge much for their tutorials. If you had a flat fee of $5, an author that charged $40 for a tutorial be paying a 12.5% fee while someone who charged only $20 would only be paying 20% for the same service.
Old 2010-01-15, 8:30pm
ManBearPig

20% is just a random number I came up with. That's not set in stone. It's just for the sake of discussion. The actual percentage would basically just be enough to cover the costs associated with it (hosting, etc.).

Again, though, this is all just talk right now...

Old 2010-01-15, 8:55pm
Storm Queen

The majority of my tutorials are purchased through E-junkie which is a flat fee of $5 per month. The rest are purchased through my Etsy store at a final cost of 4.6% of my tutorial cost which really adds up over time.

Old 2010-01-15, 9:01pm
da General

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDesigns View Post
The majority of my tutorials are purchased through E-junkie which is a flat fee of $5 per month. The rest are purchased through my Etsy store at a final cost of 4.6% of my tutorial cost which really adds up over time.
Ours are set up the same way as Amy. I have our own email list that will drive customers to our blog and purchase directly with instant download. . . and they get to read our blog and look at our work. Having the tutorials/e-books on a dedicated site will eliminate this important aspect - an opportunity to market and connect with our customers.

ETA: Will you be asking for exclusive listing on your site, Chad? For that will not work for us but we may entertain the idea of listing on your site in addition to our online stores, blog and home page - depending on the fees.

|
|
|
|

Last edited by Hayley; 2010-01-15 at 9:04pm.
Old 2010-01-15, 9:04pm
Storm Queen

Just remember that only listing your tutorial on your own site and promoting it here could mean you are still missing out on a large population of glass artists. That's why I listed mine in my Etsy store a couple weeks after I released it. Not everyone visits LE. Many glass artists do search Etsy for tutorials though. Just a thought...

Old 2010-01-15, 9:15pm
da General

Good point, Amy. The more exposure, the better. We list ours on our website, blog, Etsy and ArtFire stores, as well as link on lampworktutorials.com

|
|
|
|
Old 2010-01-15, 9:26pm
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
Ours are set up the same way as Amy. I have our own email list that will drive customers to our blog and purchase directly with instant download. . . and they get to read our blog and look at our work. Having the tutorials/e-books on a dedicated site will eliminate this important aspect - an opportunity to market and connect with our customers.

ETA: Will you be asking for exclusive listing on your site, Chad? For that will not work for us but we may entertain the idea of listing on your site in addition to our online stores, blog and home page - depending on the fees.
No. I wouldn't expect anything to be exclusive. The only thing I would ask is that if someone sells them on their site or somewhere else that sell them at the same price that they have me sell them on my site.

But, like I said, this is all just speculation at this point. I don't want to get ahead of myself. It is something I'm going to look into though...

Old 2010-01-15, 10:18pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
Good point, Amy. The more exposure, the better. We list ours on our website, blog, Etsy and ArtFire stores, as well as link on lampworktutorials.com
I didn't even know lampworktutorials.com existed until reading this thread. I actually did sell one off Artfire.

Old 2010-01-15, 10:28pm
da General

You must list your tutorial on lampworktutorials.com, Amy. I got quite a lot of traffic from that site and it's free! . . . which reminds me that I should go and donate something.

|
|
|
|
Old 2010-01-16, 5:38pm
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandice View Post
I have mine on my website, Etsy, and Lampworktutorials.com. I think that's enough. Personally, I don't have time to keep up with more venues, and I can't afford more selling fees and costs. So I vote no - sorry, Cosmo.
It's not really a vote. Just another option. So if you want to participate you do, if you don't, you don't.

And as far as on lampworktutorials.com - where do you guys find the tutorials to buy? I've looked through it a lot and still only see links to free ones or to youtube videos...

Old 2010-01-18, 7:05pm
More ideas than talent

I like the idea of a dedicated site as well as the other available methods.

It can be hard to keep track of all the different tutorials everyone is offering.

I'm kind of interested in the way the tutorial authors view the expenses in relationship to tutorials. I would have thought that after you've recovered your initial start up/production costs on the tutorial, it's pretty much a passive income/royalty type situation.

Old 2010-01-18, 10:18pm

Personally I like the idea of tutorial reviews. Over all I've been extremely happy with my tutorials even if I was initially hesitant about the whole concept when I first started lampworking. I do believe most of the authors are extremely generous and are certainly amazing artists.

There is one huge exception though. I bought one tutorial that made me really angry and it wasn't a cheap one either. It almost put me off the whole thing again. This information needs to be shared particularly, as let's face it, you're not going to a refund, are you? And I don't think the forums are the place to discuss one's opinion of tuts.

I'm not a tut author & I know you are just throwing out numbers, but I think 20% is way too high.
Old 2010-01-19, 6:01pm
ManBearPig

Yeah, the final numbers are a ways off. The 20% was just an example. I'm assuming it will probably be more in the 5-10% range.

But, I still have a lot of thinking to do about it. Have to figure out some details and all that....

Old 2010-01-20, 3:09am
Goddess

This is not something I would be interested in. It feels like we are always spreading ourselves thinner and thinner and for me it becomes too much to keep up with. I don't want to sell my stuff in 6 different places. I don't want someone else being in control of my sales either. I've tried that with my tutorials before and was not impressed at all with the result (more tutorials sold than I was actually paid for). Hayley keeps a list here on the forum of all the available paid tutorials and then there is lampworktutorials.com which lists all paid and free tutorials, personally I think that's enough.

Old 2010-01-20, 2:05pm
ManBearPig

I've decided not to go any further with this idea. Too many negative comments (both public and private). Was trying to do something to benefit the glass community, but apparently people think it will hurt more than help, which is obviously something I don't want to do.