Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2006-08-16, 7:07pm
Leisabeads

Default Puckered Ends ~ Help?

Does anyone have a tutorial on making nice puckered ends on long beads? I need the practice! Thanks ~Leisa
Old 2006-08-16, 7:25pm

A quick search in the technique section found this old thread. I searched "pointy ends." Of course I knew it was there cause I posted photos, but this thread may give you the information you seek. Also, pick up Jim Kervin's book on Jim Smirich (can't spell his name).

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ht=pointy+ends

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2006-08-17, 4:12am
Leisabeads

Thanks Lara! I have the Kervin book too, I guess I should actually read it!! ~Leisa
Old 2006-08-17, 10:47am

Your welcome. If you can take a class with him it is one of the best!

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2006-08-17, 2:08pm
Moving on!

Hi Leisa;
I have 2 tips.
First is to gather the full amount of glass you want for your base bead on the tip of the rod. Once you have a gather large enough, drop this onto your hot mandrel. If you do this, rather than the 'wrap' method, I find the ends are always perfect.
Second - if you're doing the wrap method and don't have nice ends, heat one end of the bead, then tip the mandrel down so the glass will fall down on itself and create a nice end. Hold it that way to let it cool, then repeat on the other side.
Hope that makes sense and is helpful.

- nothing right now.
Old 2006-08-20, 12:11pm

Default Puckered Ends

Even though I'm fairly new to the beadmaking process, I picked up the process of nice puckered ends by accident. After I get my basic gather of glass on the mandrel, I do a check for potentially sharp edges while the initial gather sets up. Then I add more glass to the center so it looks like I'm making a disc bead. Depending on how bad I did in the beginning or the size I want the bead to be determines how much I add to the center. It may take two or three wraps. Then I start melting that in which forces the first gather to bulge out to make those pretty dimpled ends. If you have a hard time envisioning this, I'll get some photos made for you. Good Luck!
Old 2006-08-20, 10:57pm
Princess of Pi

For some reason, it seems to help me to spin the bead both forward and backward. It also helps to start with a good "footprint", where there's about the same amount of glass on the mandrel all the way around on the initial wrap. (I wind the glass on instead of getting a gather on the rod.)
Old 2006-08-21, 1:15am
Beadmaking.nl

I do it like James Smircich. On his DVD he explains it very well. Since I do it his way, I have nice ends...

http://www.smircich.com/html/round_bead.html

Good luck!