LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2006-08-23, 12:16pm

Default A significant factor in tutorials and techniques

I posted this over on the ISGB so rather than post the whole thing again here...here is the link ...if someone wants me to post this here....

http://www.isgb.org/forum/showthread.php?p=79718#post79718

Beads galore at my ebay store!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Minor with a REGALIA heavenly!
Old 2006-08-23, 12:37pm
Missing presumed fed

In case you don't feel like clicking, or if the link is acting up, here's the text of Ingrid's message from the ISGB forum:

Quote:
Well my new concentrator has taught me something valuable.

IF this has already been said ...someone pull this.

When posting techniques I believe that your set up is an essential part of the technique. After 4/12 years on a used concentrator that ...(now thinking back has been suboptimal since mid 2003)...and now having this new regalia...

I am having to relearn how to burn glass. For example my beloved edp... wow what a difference...Any tutorials I have done on EDP, I am going to have to redo based on torch set up. I will get Mrs Flamewerks to help me.

Again if this has been address forgive me ...it is new to me.

With all the options I have available to me now with this new set up I am struggling to make beads out of my favorite glass.

The last time I made one of my signature beads that came out GOOD...was back in mid '03. Other than struggling with edp I don't know that I really noticed much else about my set up. I do know mid 2005 I was having problems that I lamented...and thought it was that I had not cleaned my ports in a long time (well almost never) so I cleaned the ports and things got a little better. And it was just this past month that I really was getting disgusted with my beadmaking efforts ...so I did start to complain to Mona Gollan. I had called the local medical supply place to see about getting my concentrator tuned up...So I told her how old it was...etc and I guess that was enough information for her to tell me the obvious.

So those of us using concentrators... used ones or different ones... I think we need to be aware that it won't just die. It won't really do anything to let you know that it is declining... my dial stayed at 5 all along...

and...
After working glass in this flame today...I believe that tutorials and techniques need to include the torch set up. It makes a big differece.

So if you have tried a technique posted somewhere and it just doesn't work for you...or you are struggling with it ... first look at your set up in comparison to what was used in the technique...

I just can't tell you what a HUGE difference it makes and this factor should be included so that adjustments can be made (if they can be made)

OK I won't run on any more...I suppose someone has already pointed this out...but ...I feel like I am starting over in burning glass... it is SOOOOOO different!

YIPPEE!
Old 2006-09-05, 5:21am

Default Hothead Implosion Ambitions???

I am up to my 9th implosion bead.

Yeah, Ok. I'm a newbie, but obsessed. I have read all the tuts I can get my hands on, and have spent a lot of the long, long time it takes to melt down a maria in Moretti ( thank you Chad at Soleil et Lune Designs Tutorial ) wondering if I should wait until I can move up to a Minor torch or similar. The first 7 beads were deep sixed in the fishbowl, the 8th might score me 3/10 and the 9th might even rate a pass ( only just) if it doesn't crack when I take it out of the Vermiculite. The beads I am trying to make finish up about 3/4 inch 2cm diameter, and a flat disc with a loop.

Should I keep plugging along with my trusty HH or quit before I implode myself and wait til I can upgrade the torch?

KMD
Old 2006-09-18, 9:27am
Crazy Snake Lady

I agree wholeheartedly! I was having great success with R4 glass on my hot head when I was using the one pound MAPP canisters but when I moved to a bulk tank of propylene I couldn't get the glass to do squat. Sigh...
Old 2006-10-06, 9:44am
I WISH I had that figure!

I won't give up othe HH but I would take the money for a minor and get a chili pepper kiln! I can't believe what a differnce having a kiln made!

But total ditto on the torch set-up info - much different going from a minor in class, to a HH with a 1 lb tank, to a HH with propylene bulk. I just got some lead crystal from Sprial Dance and it was total bust - just turned completely black from the inability to up the oxygen on the HH. Sigh. One of these days a Carlisle Mini CC and an oxycon!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My eBay auctions:
Old 2006-10-06, 10:33am
No Problem!

So many factors... sometimes it's the setup, but other times it's the particular batch of glass..the problem that Ingrid was having could have just been related to the EDP being a bit different..just a thought..

(Beau & Shani)

Old 2006-10-06, 8:00pm
a pox upon an idiot :..

Man Beau, I agree totally! I have so many batches of EDP and the color depth makes such a difference, as with all the handmade colors. I'm working with 2 oxy cons and have learned never, ever to let my propane tank get low. As soon as my Raku won't pop to the deep blues right away, I know it's time to swap the tank, it's like night and day. I also swear the weather makes a difference although I can't prove it, other than how some of my colors react.

Edie