AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-08-07, 8:46am

Default EDP is there a Secret to Success?

I have been using EDP for almost all the time I have been torching. At first I Devitted the crap out of it, but as time went on, there were days when I NEVER had it Devit on me and other days that it looked terrible.

Can anyone please share what I can do that will help prevent devitting?
Thanks
Lynnie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thank You to ALL of my friends
who have journeyed
With me thru my elbow injury
and recovery!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

:

Last edited by danelady; 2006-08-07 at 8:51am.
Old 2006-08-07, 8:49am
ManBearPig

Keep it hot. That's the best way for me.

Old 2006-08-07, 8:51am

More oxy or more propane? Close to the torch or further out in the flame? I can't figure out quite the secret...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo
Keep it hot. That's the best way for me.

who have journeyed
and recovery!

:
Old 2006-08-07, 9:34am
ManBearPig

Just leave it in the flame longer. Flame chemistry doesn't seem to matter. You want to keep it almost dripping hot. Then when you're done, let it set up and go into the kiln right away. It often looks white when going into the kiln, but after it sets in there for a few minutes, the purple comes back.

Old 2006-08-07, 9:45am

Sometimes what I do is get it hot again right before i put it in the kiln. As i'm building my bead I don't worry about it - but I give it one final touch as a last step before i put it in the kiln. Seems to help. Another thing is etch the bead and it looks way better.

Jackie Mixon
www.jackiemixon.com
Old 2006-08-07, 9:57am
Eight Miles Wide

hopefully, this isn't hijacking, but my question is very similar. i played this weekend with periwinkle & edp frit. some of my beads came out shiny with a very cool color reaction (what i was going for), and others came out etched-feeling and the edp frit was distinctly still pinkish and the periwinkle was still periwinkle. i was very sure i cooked both for a long time.

Old 2006-08-07, 1:52pm
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

Keep the temperature as steady as you can. No flashing in and out the flame, and the key trick for me is blow on it

Not kidding, rapid cooling makes it pop completely for me. Finish the bead, take it out of the flame and blow, then pop it in the kiln. Works like a charm

Old 2006-08-07, 6:03pm

definitely don't flash it in and out of the flame.
The longer you can keep it at a steady temperature, the stronger your chances are for success.
And the blow thing does work.
When I make a pressed bead with EDP, naturally it devitrifies on me as I'm pressing it, but back in the flame to a solid glow and blowing before the kiln actually works!
suzanne, I must have gotten that tip from you!THANKS!

Joanna
Old 2006-08-07, 6:27pm

Seems like that I need to cook! I have always AVOIDED that except with Raku! Thanks you everyone!I'll torch in the AM and I'll share my results here.. You all ROCK!!!
Hugs
Lynnie

who have journeyed
and recovery!

:
Old 2006-08-11, 8:15am

Bumping this thread up... does anyone else have info they wouldn't mind sharing? thanks!
lynnie

who have journeyed
and recovery!

:
Old 2006-08-11, 9:51am

Where's Ingridh when you need her to post on EDP? Here's a link to a thread she posted on how to work EDP.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...Purple+Ingridh

Old 2006-08-11, 11:08am
Entropy increasing....

I find a ritual sacrafice to the glass gods helps.
Old 2006-08-11, 12:51pm
Princess Odd . . . lot

Did the other suggestions not work for you? I'm curious as well as I can never get consistent results and just put it away. Don't know if this matters, but I'm on a HH.
Old 2006-08-11, 9:27pm
A Splash o' Glass

My opinion of it is the same as it is for nutgrass, or sedgegrass, or whatever dastardly name anyone comes up for it. How to get rid of it (and in the case of EDP here), move away from it. You can't get rid of it (devit in the sense of EDP)! First person to PM me for it can have my small stash. I only have a few rods, but I don't use it anymore. I'd rather give it to someone who can do something with it, but personally I don't have the patience for it. But I do like the Hawaiian purple; more bluish, can devit a little, but not nearly as finicky. I think that is Lauscha though. O.K. now, who wants the EDP?

Old 2006-08-11, 10:15pm

Location: Im in Lawrenceburg TN .. about 1 1/2 south of Nashville

I would love to try it if no one else has asked for it yet .
I keep hearing about it .

"If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you have to find the courage to live it."*John Irving*

Old 2006-08-12, 1:09am
Entropy increasing....

You can fight it or you can use it's weirdness to your advantage!

Old 2006-08-12, 1:36am

right before I am gonna put it in the kiln I stick it in the flame and turn it towards me. I dont get it super hot but just watch the devit disappear on it. hope that explains it - sorry had 3 hours of sleep and am crazy tired!

Old 2006-08-12, 4:16am

I think it did Kevan! (but it didn't hurt to read Ingridh's Tutorial either)! I'll post my results in a few!

THanks for the link Cindy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan
I find a ritual sacrafice to the glass gods helps.

who have journeyed
and recovery!

:
Old 2006-08-12, 4:27am

What'd you do to that bead Kevan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan
You can fight it or you can use it's weirdness to your advantage!

who have journeyed
and recovery!

:
Old 2006-08-12, 5:04pm
Fire Good!

Interesting that the Ingridh tutorial talks about placing the bead back in the flame for a "flame kiss" before going in the kiln. Not quite the same theory or am I missing something?

Cheers!
Old 2006-08-17, 2:03pm

Not sure.. I read ingridh's Tut and I have a couple beads... just need to take pics!
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesofglass
Interesting that the Ingridh tutorial talks about placing the bead back in the flame for a "flame kiss" before going in the kiln. Not quite the same theory or am I missing something?

Cheers!

who have journeyed
and recovery!

:
Old 2006-08-18, 10:15am
Gravity is at 6 o'clock

that's interesting to see how many different- and sometimes contradictory- options there are...

i found that for me, a neutral to slightly reducing flame causes the haze from the edp on the transparents on the bead, and that a rich oxydizing flame flame on the transparents takes the haze away.

I
NY

Last edited by meitali; 2006-08-18 at 10:25am.
Old 2006-08-21, 12:44pm

I used !ngridh's Tut and here are my results

who have journeyed
and recovery!

:

Last edited by danelady; 2006-08-21 at 12:50pm.
Old 2006-08-21, 2:29pm
Missing presumed fed

Oh my GOD! It turned your beads GREEN???????????????????

(Just kidding. Looks like that Ingridh lady knows what she's talking about, huh?)
Old 2006-08-21, 6:35pm

Hey Emily! Sh*t happens LOL!! (You're a FUNNY girlie Snort!)

Yes it seemed to help me! thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily
Oh my GOD! It turned your beads GREEN???????????????????

(Just kidding. Looks like that Ingridh lady knows what she's talking about, huh?)

who have journeyed
and recovery!

:
Old 2006-08-21, 7:28pm
Crazy Snake Lady

My EDP bead was doing great until I took it out of the flame to add frit - big mistake! It went all to heck after that. How do you add decoration to this stuff without ruining it? Should I try sprinkling the frit on while I continue turing it in the flame?
Old 2006-08-21, 10:31pm
HourGlass Studio

Lynnie it looks like you mastered EDP !! Great job. I have never been successful at doing so. Gonna give it a try later.

Old 2006-08-21, 10:35pm

Hey sweetie! no, adding the frit ISN'T the problem I don't think.. making SURE your bead surface is good and cool before putting it back in the flame is the secret I think!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lldesigns
My EDP bead was doing great until I took it out of the flame to add frit - big mistake! It went all to heck after that. How do you add decoration to this stuff without ruining it? Should I try sprinkling the frit on while I continue turing it in the flame?

who have journeyed
and recovery!

:
Old 2006-08-21, 10:35pm

Kewl!
Let's see pics Laurie!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie L
Lynnie it looks like you mastered EDP !! Great job. I have never been successful at doing so. Gonna give it a try later.

who have journeyed
and recovery!

:
Old 2006-08-21, 10:39pm
HourGlass Studio

Well I better get making them hey.........LOL