Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-08-22, 7:21am

Default Lentil Shaping Tool

I like the lentil shape and have been looking at the different tools available to make them. There are a lot of presses out there to buy. My problem is that I don't have the best luck using them. I have better luck with a bead roller type of tool.

I've found the Obsibin Lentil Shaper tool at Arrow Springs and wondered what people think of it as far as ease of use, especially in comparison to a press. The tool picture with description is located about half way down the page.

http://arrowsprings.com/html/shaping_tools.html

Would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks CarrieB
Old 2010-08-22, 7:28am
Karen James

I am speaking is very limited terms because I have never used any other press for lentils, but I love my Osibin Lentil Shaper.

You do have to practice with it to get the hang of it. There are 2 free tuts buzzing around that give you a good idea how to work with it. Once was by Maureen Kennedy and one was a tut JC Herrell did using the shaper. They helped me get the hang of it fairly well.

What I really like about this shaper is that you can make your lentils with thin sides or with thick sides. I also like that you can use it to shape beads. i.e. I use it when I am making bicone beads. I will use the largest size lentil to shape the ends. Just wonderful.

Hope that helps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Karen
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cricket, Mini CC, Devilbiss MC84 Oxy and NG
Old 2010-08-22, 11:54am

If you are going to go with a press, the straight-sided lentil is much easier to work than the regular lentil shape, FYI

The Osibin Lentil shaper is always on my table when I'm making beads. Makes the best barrels ever! Great for fixing ends, and oh yeah, making nice lentil shaped beads with it too I've used mine for focals too, using the lentil cavity on the top of the glass, and using my torch mount marver for the back (for a flat back and puffy front.
301-770-7666

The #1 Lampworking Source for the Mid-Atlantic!
Old 2010-08-22, 12:16pm
Entropy increasing....

It's going to be practice, practice, practice with any press. There is no magic press that will somehow make sure you have the right amount of glass on the rod just the right length. You will have to get a feel for it.
Old 2010-08-22, 11:29pm
Maker of Famous Burn Gel

Karen, do you think you can help me find those tuts????? I have been searching ever since you posted!! LOL
Thanks, Pat
Old 2010-08-23, 6:26am
Karen James

Pat,

Here is JC's. http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2505

I'm still looking for Maureen's. I think it was on Wet Canvas originally, so that may take me a bit. This is a good one though.

Karen

Old 2010-08-23, 7:57am

Thanks for the information everyone. I'm still debating with myself about this. I've got a spree trio press from Zooziis which is a nice tool. When I don't let myself become frustrated using it I can make nice beads. I was thinking the Obsibin shaper might be a good buy for the money because you're getting more than one size to work with. However it is also appx half the amount of money I would spend on a brass press/mold. I'll have to keep thinking about this but regardless of which tool I buy I know I will have a learning curve.

Another note of thanks to Karen for mentioning the JCHerrell & Maureen Kennedy tutorials. Here is the link I found for Maureen's tutorial:

http://www173.pair.com/mirish2u/lentil1.htm

Both of these tutorials have great information

CarrieB
Old 2010-08-23, 8:05am
Maker of Famous Burn Gel

Thanks so much, Karen and Carrie!! I have debated this tool for a while..And Thank you again, Carrie, for reminding me to spend some more on tools!! LOL
Pat
Old 2010-08-23, 8:29am
Karen James

There's the link to Maureen's tut! Yay! Thank you Carrie!
I need to stress that like Kevan said, it takes a lot of practice. However, when you get the hang of it, it is great. The versatility of the tool is what I love most.

Now that doesn't mean I don't think about buying a press now and again LOL!

Karen